[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Fighter traits

Fighter traits

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Fighter traits

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:13 am

@Darvin: Perhaps, but I find a gnome that gets 25 MP gnome with mystic balance works rather well too. It really comes down to the availability of mid-fight level ups I suppose.

@Incompetent: True, but there isn't really any feasible change. If you added power to the other traits to balance it would be broken, and you can't split his great trait for balance either. Even still, I agree it is a little off.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 am

Eh, well come to DD, where the priest is actually the fighter, the fighter is actually the mage, and the mage is actually broken :D

On a serious note, Fighter gets better and better the more you play the game and unlock stuff (TT fighter can be beyond hilarious), and somebody once tipped me off about healthmonster fighters, I had fun with that too.

And on a more helpful note - the XP ability of the figter is obviously strong (it was buffed the last time around such things happened when people were complaining about the fighter). It's mostly a magic damage spiker ability (as it works with level cannons). The "free" DP is actually stronger than one would think - but it would take a textwall to explain exactly why - and it's a phys damage spiker thing (but it can also get you levels faster). The scouting ability is supposed to help with regen-fighting and save you blackspace but the right way to use it is the exact opposite of intuitive. It could've used a regen-fighting themed buff.

Otherwise a good use for it is to find monsters which are lower level than you to kill for Tikki Tooki piety, or even Taurog and Drac. Pretty niche, though.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:14 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:29 pm

I was assuming a best case scenario: JJ perp/scum into MA's for mystic balance with the boots prepped.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 pm

You guys are all good at the game. Watch some completely new players get into the game and you'll see why we used the fighter to emphasise finding enemies and just trying to get people to even fight in the first place!

The fighter is there to overcome the assumption that combat in DD is bad, which is not something any of you ever assumed ;P
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:58 pm

Err no chance of adding somethign small to it, like +1 health per square regenned a-la Blood Sigil or somethig regen-fightey? -1 dmg recieved per level? Anything like that? I know the game's been released and all, but you know you'll patch it at some point :)

The intended use is fine and all, don't get me wrong...
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:33 pm

I like the fact that the XP ability is so strong that it gives Fighter's a niche now. Pre-buff they were really lame.

Edit: Ok, not really, more like pre-buff Fighters were Jeigans (see TVTropes) like Taurog. Ream the early kingdom game, generally dead space late kingdom game.

Right now with the ability as it is, I like how the Fighter now has tools for high level play, which he really didn't have before. He used to be low skill cap, average reward that couldn't tackle Vicious, now he has a "fighting" chance (geddit?).

I guess you could weaken said XP ability and make his two other abilities stronger in some way, but then you're going to have to design a new niche for the guy, I think.
TigerKnee

Postby Lujo on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:04 pm

They could just make his abilities:

1) Learning
2) Free DP
3) Scouting + 10% lower XP cap

:D
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons