First strike ~ Bug or is it just me?

All things Desktop Dungeons

First strike ~ Bug or is it just me?

Postby zeemeerman2 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Could someone help me explain the first strike rules again?
I was assuming that higher level monsters hit you first, unless you have first strike; then you hit first instead.
But apparently, this is wrong. I tested it with a Rogue and Paladin today, and a bunch of other classes yesterday. (With the First strike glyph)

Is this a bug (preventing me from playing the game correctly) or is it just me being wrong? If so, can someone explain to me the correct rules of strike order? Thanks.

Assumed strike order:
1. First strikers
2. Higher level target
3. Equal level target (at the same time)
4. Lower level target
5. Slowed strikers

(full image)
zeemeerman2

Re: First strike ~ Bug or is it just me?

Postby Lujo on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:34 pm

That is a common occurence, my friend. You have a platemail in your inventory (13 damage reduction at lvl 4 with no EM on board means you have taurogs shield -5 and platemail -8 (-2 per level)). A platemail gives you slow strike, and I assume the icon with the swirly stars over the sword is that. So you're perma slowed and can't first strike (except possibly against another slowed enemy, not sure).

The only other way to get slowed as a player, I think, is by prepping the Really Big Sword.

No bug there :)
Lujo

Postby FDru on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:49 pm

Oh my god. A rogue wearing armor? What is wrong with you.

Clearly a case of mistaken class identity.
FDru

Postby Darvin on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:40 pm

The Rogue's first strike cancels out the slow effect of the platemail, so you just have normal striking speed in this case (neither first strike nor slow). So the higher-level monster beats you for striking order. A slowed player versus a slowed monster always hits second. In effect, this means that the 3 mana GETINDARE glyph can be used to cancel out slow, but the 8 mana WEYTWUT cannot.

The platemail and really big sword are the only things that can cause a player to become slowed.

Oh my god. A rogue wearing armor? What is wrong with you.

Situationally, it's actually a very good item for the Rogue in the end-game. You retain the ability to first-strike lower-level monsters to consume popcorn, and you convert the armor just before you make the finishing blow against the boss to reactivate your first strike when it counts. No real loss, and against low-damage/high-HP types like Super Meat Man it can be a huge benefit.
Darvin

Return to Desktop Dungeons