[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Awesome Dragon Isles gimmick

Awesome Dragon Isles gimmick

All things Desktop Dungeons

Awesome Dragon Isles gimmick

Postby Lujo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:06 pm

This might be old news to at least some people, but I just found it out and it's hlarious.

You know how every vet at some point finds a silly way to make a better shortcut in the Matron subdungeon? Slayer Wand, Wheytwut, Lemisi, B2P, Endiswall, all that? I found the mother of all just now!

Wonnafyt. Get to lvl 10, make sure you prepped a Slayer Wand. Slayer wand one guy, stand in the middle and cast wonnafyt. Matron is lvl 10, she comes to fight, and that's it. Works with any class.

Inb4 nerf :D
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Awesome Dragon Isles gimmick

Postby Blovski on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:23 pm

That is beautiful. Might finally be able to beat it with a half-dragon : p
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Well there are several ways to screw up while you snigger about it - don't try using wonnafyt again after you deslow the matron (to, say, prevent her from retaliating a fireball), because she'll be teleported behind the rock. The rock is still there because you only ever killed one dragonguard. So you'll have to kill another one and that can complicate things (this actually happened to me :D)

Another thing is, under no circumstances should you kill one dragonguard, move to his spot and then cast wonnafyt (as you would with a lemisi-wheytwut combo) since the matron will teleport to the stairs and you're screwed.

Other than that, it's really silly.

EDIT: And it only just occured to me that you can go full silly and not kill any dragonguards - if you have endiswall. Wonnafyt's allready something you can't guarantee, but if you get both glyphs you can endiswall the piece of rock and then tell the matron that you want to fight. So 0 dragons fought, topside available with minimum fuss.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 pm

Nice! Well worth the effort of hauling around that glyph for the entire duration of the dungeon.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:31 am

I think Darvin was being sincere. Bypassing almost the entire bottom floor really and truly is worth trading away an inventory slot. Especially when you consider that it's common practice to bring a Slayer Wand just to remove one of the guards.
Sidestepper

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:13 am

Now the trouble is getting the glyph to spawn. I'd never thought I'd miss that Magnet: Attack prep. Still, beyond the fact this requires scumming, it is a rather neat little trick.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:32 pm

DI first time. I'm better at this than I remember.

Human Fighter, Fine Sword, basic potions, forgot I had a Slayer Wand, Extra Glyphs, Binlor (for 30%ish MR and a level 2 total map wall clearance) -> EM. Clearance spiked Firstborn to death then curse cleared with greenblood on the lower level. Didn't get Wonafyt but did use Endiswal to skip two guards.

I didn't know there was a 35g level for the Enlightenment donation subdungeon. Pretty lucky with the experience subdungeons, continually surprised by how good EM and Fighters are.

Lujo, I'm working out how to apply this for half-dragony goodness... you need her to be where the wall is so you can repeatedly smash her into minions. I think that means the Endiswal trick (should be available because you want to prep Binlor) or killing two guards - if you do that, is there a reliable way to get her smashably into the central corridor? (cannot test yet because half dragon not unlocked)
Blovski

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:03 pm

You should be able to do that by prepping a Transmutation Seal. Transmute the wall, and the Matron should appear right where you want her.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:20 pm

Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons