[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - God Power Archetypes for religiously curious

God Power Archetypes for religiously curious

All things Desktop Dungeons

God Power Archetypes for religiously curious

Postby Lujo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Here's a short and concise (I see you guys laughing) list of the most basic and singleminded archetypes for each god, if you want to try them out:

Taurog:

The Taurogzerker - Pick a berserker, prefferably an orc, prep taurog, convert EVERYTHING and kick arse. Well, don't convert getindare, but you can prep extra glyph for more Taurog piety. It's straightforward and an early conversion boost will get you all the Taurog junk and Damage right off the bat. In a simmilar vein, the Taurog Monk is pretty stupid as well.

Mystera - The Goblin Sorcerer. You start with a huge mana pool, so shoot for Mystic balance, a point of Magic, and Refreshment. Then just go nuts with a million fireballs, and time your glyh conversions for either level ups or refreshment. If the boss is magic resistant, get your mana pool up to 18 for 3 fireballs with Magic and mana boosters and spam weakening a bit (spam glyphs while you explore for more piety)

Earthmother - Warlord. Just warlord. Imawal before you fight, fight, plantation for piety and plants, enjoy a bunch of free cydstepps off of clearance. Alternatively search for acid caster - a spellcaster who uses a load of greenblood and explores the map, then levels quickly by killing monsters high above their level whilch lets him reach the end fight with a lot of popcorn, plants, EM piety, plants and corrosion on everything.

TT - The TT Figher. Use slowing effects and Tikki's Edge to up your piety per kill and reach the end fight with a bunch of popocorn for easy mid fight dings and a barrage of fireballs on the boss. You can also grab TT potions to help since scessfully using them doesn't cost you health.

Binlor - The binlor Paladin. It's simple, destroy walls while you explore to get piety and grab all of the permanent damage amplifying boons. Also spam stoneskin for magic resistance and if it is applicable spam it at the end fight, too. It's really straight forward and probably the strongest combo in the game, particularly with the end-game preps/items.

Glowing Guardian - the healthmonster, a dwarf melee fighter, either priest, paladin, or rogue, who converts most of his stuff for health, grabs a few absolutions for more health, grabs humility for even more health, works for enlightment if possible for even more health, and then uses the protection boon to... regenerate a ton of health. You can even keep your health potions and use them if you have the piety, and if the boss is physical resistant, GG has a boon for that too. Fire Heart is a nice prep, and so are the extra attack/health boosters and extra glyph.

Dracul - Either a healthmonster with damage resistances for end game (sanguine lets you regenerate a lot of health, and blood swell is obviously good with lots of health), or a burst piety halfling - convert health potions right away to rush piety gaining boons like lifesteal, sanguine and then just go to town on everything. There's not real set archetype, since many characters can pick Drac up right at the boss fight or even during it just for sanguine or bloodswells.

Jehora Jeheyu - Either a gnome warlord, or a halfling bloodmage - you can get a lot out of raising your health or mana with those two. I'm not an expert but I've used him sucessfuly with a variety of classes, if I found him early.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: God Power Archetypes for religiously curious

Postby Dreamdancer on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:54 pm

The Taurogzerker works also nicely with a orc rogue prepping the fine sword. Convert two glyphs at level 1 for the other sword -> 25 damage at level 1.

A really single-minded archetype:
Goblin assassin of TT (bonus points for an early WONAFYT find). Convert a glyph to hit level2. Poison everything for piety and kill everything, which has a lower level, buy the first to learning boons. Rest of piety goes to reflex-pots.
Dreamdancer

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Darvin

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:42 pm

Lujo, good idea to have a post with a lot of the basic god combos down. My JJ archetype is usually a rogue (because health is good) or a gnome bloodmage. Glad to see the Healthmonster as a fixture :D

Darvin - I've never really gone in for the JJ paladin just because you get more mileage out of punishment immunity with most of the other gods. He could work pretty well, I guess, though I think EM Paladins should provide you a bit more in the way of resources and early game control doing the same sort of thing. I might go for it if I saw him early in a purist run, though.
Blovski

Postby Darvin on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:28 pm

The irrelevance of the Paladin's punishment immunity is a strike against JJ, but he makes up for it by being arguably the best deity in the game for a monotheistic approach by default and by having high piety costs that benefit enormously from the Paladin's discounts. I've been able to manage two health boosts, three mana boosts, and chaos avatar on a paladin.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:18 pm

The only trouble is you have to scum. Prepping him is INCREDIBLY annoying. As for the others:

Trogzerker: Yeah, they're crazy. They are also arguably the fastest non-Namtar's-Ward run. Although on the topics of CONVERT ALL, I tend to keep BURNDAYRAZ at least until I've seen the random boss.

Goblin Sorcerer: I couldn't agree more. My one slight sticking point is Goblin. Although if you can manage so your conversions land you JUST short of another mid-fight level up it is very effective.

EM Warlord of Brokeness: The title should be self-explanatory, although its probably worth mentioning Entanglement somewhere in that paragraph.

TT Fighter: This is probably my single favorite strategy out there. This might be going a bit too far for what you want to say, but it could be worth mentioning that you should prep Fabulous Treasure+Transmutation.

Binlor Paladin: Yeah, the best strategy out there. Shame I'm so bad with it.

Healthmonster: I think Rogue or Paladins are the best here. It doesn't get more fun than a rogue with 160+ hp.

Dracul: You could practically just say Best Strategy: Anyone. Seriously, it is rare that you don't want him. Other than that, good points.

JJ: I'm more inclined to Paladin here too, but also gnomish warlords. Good idea on Halfling Bloodmages, I ought to try it out.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:47 pm

So, JJ paladin people - what race are you going for? Standard human or one of the potion ones?

I can see it working, still think it's less reliable in the very early game and going to spike a little less effectively than an EM Paladin with clearance and the potions you save.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Avatar, god bless you, you made me :lol: at every entry!

A few notes:

Goblin Sorcerer - I think I fell into a habit of using goblins here because of playing vicious token runs where the goblin is the only guy who can squeeze levels out of nowhere once you cant fight high level monsters anymore. Otherwise a gnome would do fine.

Fabulous Treasure + Transmutation Seal + TT = lvl1 boss kills :lol: Oh, TT, you are the brokenest...

Binlor Paladin: It's also the most boring, and should really involve a dragonshield. What would be a more basic Binlor archetype? Orc wizard is fine, but you only really want the initial Pissorf, anyone can use him to blast a cramped map, so IDK. Well, I guess with stoneskin you don't need the dragonshield, and you can go monk if you like...

Healthmonstering: You can actually do Namtar's Lair with a purist Dwarf Priest of EM. I shudder to think what you could do with a non-purist priest of GG. Oh and

JJ: JJ Rogues are also rather nice. But halfling bloodmages of JJ are really crazy - you can fix your mana disadvantage, and noone likes themselves a +20 health at early levels as much as a bloodmage. He likes it later, too, and of all the nasty crap that JJ can hit you with a bloodmage cares the least. A gnome isn't bad, either, but the halfling can really hybrid it up.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Darvin

Return to Desktop Dungeons