[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Weekly Challenge Run Videos!

Weekly Challenge Run Videos!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Weekly Challenge Run Videos!

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:06 am

Just watched your video Jay, I have to say I was confused to see you convert BLUDTOPOWA, given that it gives you a way to use your health without angering Tikki Tooki... but other than that, congratulations on winning despite pissing him off, that's one nasty punishment :) Goblin was a good choice actually, gave you a head start to counteract the awful starting position this challenge gives you.

Anyway, good job to everyone who beat the challenge! So, what challenge are we facing this week? So far, the suggestions are:

- Cursed Oasis: Once you enter the cursed land you cannot leave until you kill the boss there. You have to keep yourself cursed until he is dead then you can return to normal land to kill the dragon. (lolQuaff)

-magma mines
worship a different god for each boss kill (rubybliels)

-(no dungeon specified) desecrate every altar as soon as you can path to it
autoconvert agnostic collar (rubybliels)
Note: I assume this also means worshiping the first got we find? Also, perhaps if we're feeling especially masochistic, we can agree to prep Conjunction for an extra altar? XD

-any hard/vicious dungeon
goatperson
prep +gods, patches, no locker item
(excludes people who don't have the dlc) (rubybliels)

1) Vampire - Purist - Shifting Passages
2) Goatperson - Vicious Token - Any Map
3)* For masochists only: Goatperson - Vicious Token - Purist - Doubledoom
(All from Coolboy)

Does anyone else have other suggestions? Did I miss any suggestions?

*EDIT* Since we've been doing God-related challenges, and we've had some discussions about Enlightenment in the past few weeks, how about:

-Play as a Bloodmage, must worship Glowing Guardian from the start, must get Enlightenment - Choose any Hard dungeon (since the class is locked). Does this sound like a challenge anyone would like to do?
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:38 am

hmmm I like alot of these challenge run suggestions

I would say since we have to narrow it down lets not do goat person challenge runs because it is restrictive to people without the DLC (and that is way to narrow it down since we have so many)

That leaves several good ones still. And I have one to add to the list:

Dungeon: Doubledoom
Class:
No paladin
Race:
No Goblin

Preps
Glowing Guardian
Any
No Yendor
Challenge Conditions
Must Desecrate or Incur Glowing Guardian Penalty before doing damage to the boss: This may not be done until reaching lvl 5

This will have an interesting repercussion: your prepped items go away before you attack the boss, do you get those attack items for lvling or for the boss fight? What race will you choose since obviously you will convert everything before incurring the penalty. Will you lose all items immediately at lvl 5 or wait until you are about to fight the boss? Glyph choices will be especially interesting if you get a magic resist boss. I.E. when can you start using BURDAYRAZ?
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:42 am

The bloodmage challenge actually doesn't seem too hard, especially of you pick an easy hard like HHoS (which also has plenty of undead). You basically start with 10 extra piety and can't step on bloodpools.

Personally, I'd go with the CO challenge. It's hard and unique. You basically can't collect resources after level 1 until you beat the boss.

EDIT: Jays challenge is cool too. Either one would work well.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:20 am

I vote for the CO one as well. I hesitate though because I have a hard time in cursed oasis generally. . .
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 am

Both sound good to me tbh. I quite like Jay's idea for a GG challenge. I just gave a test run for my suggestion and I'd have to agree with you, it would probably need a few more restrictions to be actually interesting (suggestions welcome!)

*Edit* Just gave Jay's idea a quick run, it was fun but it wasn't too hard with the strategy I thought up. If we choose to do this one (or whenever we do, if we don't do it this time) I'd like to add a silly optional requirement: You must also reach Enlightenment after being punished. I know for a fact that it's doable :)

Right now Jay's vote goes to the Cursed Oasis challenge, Avatar seems to be split between the Cursed Oasis one and Jay's GG challenge, and so am I. Vote's still open!
TheSchachter

Postby CoolBoy on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:23 am

Just did the Cursed Oasis. ..... :)
Last edited by CoolBoy on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoolBoy

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:54 am

TheSchachter

Postby rubybliels on Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:03 pm

I did the Cursed Oasis challenge. Screenshots are at http://imgur.com/a/ppcVg (8 images)

The quick description is: I took goblin assassin with prepped Tikki Tooki, found an early wheytwut and used it to explore the whole map and get piety, then got to level 2 to go to the curse realm, used midfight levelups to kill both bosses. Prepping Jehora might be more reliable since you would get a guaranteed wheytwut to explore without trouble.
rubybliels

Postby CoolBoy on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:28 am

Just did the Cursed Oasis challenge using:
Elf-Ninja
Preps: Extra Altar, Mana Boosters, Perseverance Badge, Apothecary, Bet on Boss, Elven Boots, Transmutation Seal, along with Quicksilver, Mana, Schadenfreude, and WHUPAZ potions

Essentially, all I did was scout as much of the level as possible at level 1, using the Transmutation Seal to find the secret area. The secret area happened to be the one with the huge amount of free health and mana potions so I lucked out. I then worshipped Binlor and started destroying walls like crazy. I brought my magic resist to about 23%, then purchased an extra mana and Schadenfreude potion. I made sure I had extra piety left, then killed until cursed at level 2. I fought until I was low on curses, then whacked a high level cursed dude once, then kept going. I had 24 maximum mana through conversions and glyphs, and started wailing on the boss at level 6. Used potions and fireballs until the boss was dead. Ditto with the Dragon.
CoolBoy

Postby lolQuaff on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:31 am

lolQuaff

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons