[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Weekly Challenge Run Videos!

Weekly Challenge Run Videos!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Weekly Challenge Run Videos!

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Okay this weeks challenge Run was TheSchachter's idea

Purist + Miser in Shifting Passages
No other restrictions.
Good luck
May your unprepped Deity of Choice be with you (because you will freaking need it)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby berpdreyfuss on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for posting this early. I did a run, it was easier than I expected, so I guess you two won't have too many problems :)
berpdreyfuss

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:21 am

Alright, my video just finished uploading. Apologies for getting it up so late, I had forgotten that this Friday was the Christmas party at work and I ended up staying really late! XD

Here's the link for when it's done: http://youtu.be/7GSE4b5j68M

I mention this at the end of the video, but I had a run before this one which was actually quite cool, with the second boss being Frank the Zombie, where I took on Evolvia first and ended with some resources left in the end. Unfortunately, I deleted it due to sound issues before realizing I could've done something with it (hence this video :)

I also did a video after that one in which I played terribly, gave up, and which I shamefully deleted :P

A few thoughts and querries (non-gameplay related) about the video for anyone interested:

I'm doing this as a post-run commentary again. Like I explain in the video, the original commentary I had recorded was rubbish, but it was my third recording and I didn't want to do a fourth one when I'd already had two really good, video-worthy runs (playing well and commenting at the same time is hard for me to pull off), so I decided to simply to add a less awful commentary over it. The result is so-so, but this is partially because I'm doing over a commentary over gameplay of which the pace is already slowed by the commentary I was doing over filming it (you can tell that on some places in the video where I was moving the mouse around to explain stuff, those parts aren't always well covered by the new commentary). Still, I was okay with uploading this version.

In any case, this made me realise that this format is probably much better for me in general. I did bring up earlier that I wanted to do a full Let's Play of this game; the reason I never uploaded anything for that is that I was never satisfied with the results of me playing and talking at the same time. While recording this new commentary, I realized that I could be doing fast and efficient playthroughs of the begining of the game, then recording quick commentary over it, without having to scrap videos if I'm unhappy with the commentary.

So, basically, I wanted to ask to anyone who's watched my videos and other videos in general (or to anyone who's made some, too!) what they thought about post-run commentary vs commentary while playing. I haven't really yet done a "proper" attempt at the former, but I think I'd be better at it, so I thought I'd ask around to know if that kind of thing also interests viewers... as always, I love feedback :)

(Sorry for the semi-thread-hijack and rambling)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:58 pm

As a viewer, I prefer commentary while playing because it's easier to follow the thought process. You don't get all of it on a post run commentary. But in the end you should do what feels best for you. A "proper" post run commentary attempt might be different as well with music and sound and playing without commentary, so try it.
berpdreyfuss

Postby Blovski on Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:06 pm

Man, Shachter, you are waaay better with the transmuter than I am. A lot luckier too (that retaliate fireball dodge was glorious) :lol:

I haven't seen any of your other vids yet but you seem to be playing slow enough that post-run commentary works fine. Main thing to do is to make sure that not commenting as playing doesn't speed you up so much that it makes it hard to follow what you're doing (a bit faster would still be fine). I'll have a look at some of the others later.

Edit: had a shot at the challenge - human paladin, got binlor (Mystera and EM as others)... spent about half the dungeon's exploration looking for a non-magical level 2. Just about got a win against TS and Evolvia.
Blovski

Postby TheSchachter on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:01 am

@berpdreyfuss and Blovski: Thank you very much for the feedback! I'll try with post-run commentary for now, and we'll see how that goes; I might switch back when I get to the more interesting challenges...

Jay, did anything happen? Looking forward to watching your video :)
TheSchachter

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Hey yeah sorry about the lack of contact or video. Real life has gotten in the way pretty heavy of late. I haven't been online for some time.
I won't be able to do any more uploads for a little while. :(
But I will be back.
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby TheSchachter on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:00 am

TheSchachter

Postby TheSchachter on Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:09 am

So, given that Jay hasn't been around or hasn't contacted me recently, I'm going to assume that he's still unavailable for now. So, I thought it'd be as good a time as any to ask: Does anyone else want to join us in making these little challenge videos? Or heck, it could even be an annotated playthrough (like the ones in the sticky thread) or such if you can't make the videos. The more the merrier, and right now, I'd be the only one making these, which doesn't seem all that interesting :P

Of course, if you'd still like to see a challenge run this week, feel free to suggest something as well, we're welcome to suggestions!

Cheers!
TheSchachter

Postby lieronet on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:05 am

I'm game to try, these sound like a hoot. I dint know if I'll be able to get video out for the next week or two, mind, but after that I should be able to swing it.
lieronet

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons