Advisor Tasks

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Advisor Tasks

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:38 pm

Ah, so it goes by play time total. I thought it did something like (base number for first time task comes up) + (x% each time it comes up again.)
Wargasm

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:45 pm

dislekcia wrote:I really don't understand why vets are focusing on tasks as strongly as this

I think you're vastly over-stating the amount of feedback you're getting on this issue. This thread has been averaging a little over 2 posts per day. This isn't a hot topic by any measure. The reason it's getting much attention at all is because it's a relatively new feature and there are no other new features to talk about.

The numbers are extreme because your play time totals are so extreme!

But not all the numbers are extreme. I might clear 30 DP if I play a run as a Warlord with Namtar's Ward; even then I'm looking at 8-9 runs using a very specific character combo before this clears. This actually isn't nearly as bad as some other ones, but it's still illustrative when compared to others like the "deal damage" and "earn piety" tasks. These tend to have numbers that are comparatively so low that they get cleared almost instantly. Heck, a vicious dungeon (with the additional monster count it usually entails) will often clear a "deal damage" task in a single run.

And yes, I do realize that this feature is "not for us". No one here's asking for a rework, just that they should be more consistent with each other so the clear at a smooth pace.
Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Darvin wrote:And yes, I do realize that this feature is "not for us". No one here's asking for a rework, just that they should be more consistent with each other so the clear at a smooth pace.

That doesn't make any sense from a design goal perspective: Why would you want the tasks to all clear at the same rate? It much more effective to have differently-timed goals for players instead.
dislekcia

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:44 pm

dislekcia wrote:That doesn't make any sense from a design goal perspective: Why would you want the tasks to all clear at the same rate? It much more effective to have differently-timed goals for players instead.

Differently-timed goals is one thing, and I do not object to this principle. My issue is with the spread; we have some tasks that will be cleared in a single run, and others that will take dozens of runs even if you're making a concerted effort to clear them (and possibly hundreds of runs if you're not).

EDIT:
I've got a great contrast in my current advisor task list: I've got "deny monster healing 1815", and "use death protection 250". These are highly comparable, since by far the most common source of denied monster healing is APHEELSIK and by far the most common source of death protection is CYDSTEPP, so both tasks are primarily focused on two respective T3 glyphs.

Since the use death protection example appeared yesterday I have played several games as a Warlord, managing to rack up 117 uses (no more than 30 per game). In a single game as a Goblin Assassin on the Slime Pits, I racked up 1476 denied healing, almost double my progress made on the death protection task in the last 24 hours that took many runs.

They don't have to be exact, but somewhere in the same order of magnitude would be nice?
Darvin

Postby dislekcia on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:53 pm

You're really not understanding what Tasks are for and you've ended up fixating on being able to complete them for some strange reason.

Tasks slowly count up over multiple runs, that's all they have to do: Provide visible progress in a non-monetary fashion for players that aren't progressing otherwise. Yes, I totally get that you're trying to complete them because they're constantly there and constantly ticking up at you, they're not quests, they're just arbitrary statistics that have reached ludicrous numbers because you've played so much. What's wrong with a Task taking possibly hundreds of runs to complete, provided it does a little animation every once in a while after each run?

Let them go, they're not changing.
dislekcia

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:02 pm

dislekcia wrote:What's wrong with a Task taking possibly hundreds of runs to complete, provided it does a little animation every once in a while after each run?

That's his point. They're not doing a little animation after each run unless he specifically goes out of his way to make them, and even then not necessarily by much. I think it's only annoying when you've been staring at the same three tasks for days because none of them are exactly common. I'm at Get Weakened (32/81), Dodge Attacks (51/84), and Desecrate Altars (5/81.)

Without repeatedly suiciding on specific maps, GW is going to be there for days or weeks. I don't actually have any control over DoA except spamming GETINDARE, if it happens to show up. Rogues are chancy at best. DeA, well, I've finished Naga City. Unless I go back there for badges, that's going to be sitting there for weeks if not months. GW's already been there over a week, and DoA's at least four days if not five. :/

And that's mostly just bad luck having all three at the same time. Still, it'd be nice to see a new one.

Ooh...what about a compromise? You can pay 50 or so gold to re-roll a task to a different task?
Wargasm

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:16 pm

And that's mostly just bad luck having all three at the same time. Still, it'd be nice to see a new one.

If altering some constants is "they're not changing" territory, then adding a new interactive element is straight out of contention.

It's not the end of the world and doesn't affect any other portion of the game, but it is front and center on the first screen you see after logging into your kingdom. I don't feel that dislekcia has made his case, but it does seem he's made up his mind on the matter. I wouldn't have an issue if the tasks were uniformly ridiculous and would just accept it's related to my admittedly massive play-time. What bothers me is that many of these are achievable within a single play-session which makes clearing advisor tasks a very tempting coffee-break activity, but others are simply way out of proportion and end up cluttering up the advisor tasks because they just don't clear.
Darvin

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons