[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Triple Quest 3 - some questions *Spoilers*

Triple Quest 3 - some questions *Spoilers*

All things Desktop Dungeons

Triple Quest 3 - some questions *Spoilers*

Postby TheSchachter on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:55 am

So, After taking a much-needed break from the SE content after beating the second Triple Quest, I've decided to give the second one a try. I've given it a few attempts as of yet and I'm still far off from beating it... I've only gotten to part 3 once, only to die by miscklicking a high level monster seconds after starting it XD That was weeks ago, anyway.

Anyway, I had a few questions:

1. Is it normal that I can beat 3-1 without expending any resources (or much effort, really)? I get to levels 7-9 depending on the layout, and then I start casting Burndayraz on the boss... which makes it drops bloodpool upon bloodpool, so that even though I have no health, I never run out of mana (occasional blood swell from Dracul for more BLUDTOPOWA). I guess it means I have to navigate around most of the bloodpools while levelling up, but it feels kind of off considering how difficult stage 2-1 was in comparison; I've never lost this particular stage once I figured it out.

2. Is 3-2 supposed to be *really* hard, or is there some trick I'm missing? The one time I beat it, I had prepped Namtar's Ward (which turned out to be quite useful for leveling up in both 3-1 and 3-2), burst down the physical immune boss with BTP and Burndayraz (exploring almost everything but the outer row of squares so I could use BTP if it blinked there), and then barely managed to kill the other boss with a couple of more levels (including converting pretty much all of Taurog's gear XD). This got me to 3-3 with almost no resources left, however, and I doubt that I could've beaten it even if I'd lived longer than a few seconds...

Not really looking for straight out solutions, just general thoughts would be nice :)

Also, I was reading on the discussions about Triple Quest 2 back when I was released and it made me wonder what everyone else did to beat it, since it sounded like people were doing different things... My solution was to prepare the Alchemist scroll along with all of the potions from 2-2 and 2-3 to get the rogue to a good HP level where I could tank hits from most bosses. BLUDTOPOWA + Pissorf for Lord Gobb + another boss simultaneously. CYDSTEPP for Bleaty. What about everyone else?
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Re: Triple Quest 3 - some questions *Spoilers*

Postby The Avatar on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Yes, when I beat Triple Quest 3 I used most of my potions (the mana ones) on part 2. I don't even remember what I prepped, but probably dragon shield (knowing part 3). And yes, part 1 is a joke. Part 2 just requires really airtight leveling and skill.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby TheSchachter on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks! :)
TheSchachter

Postby lolQuaff on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 am

lolQuaff

Postby lolQuaff on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:32 am

I just went and fetched the Mantle of Midas :D Can't be lockered though hahaha
lolQuaff

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 am

Wow, I had a totally different strategy from both of you for triple quest 2. I ended up going Avatar's Codex so I only took half damage from casting fireballs, which my health could manage. It was a little different for bleaty, but it worked.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:30 am

I'm really impressed that there actually are three known distinct solutions to Triple Quest 2 listed here! XD Possibly more?

Anyway, if you're wondering about potion usage in 3-2... keep your health potions at least. Really, as much as you can... I think I carried over a Schadenfreude on my winning run. By the time I finally won the quest, I was winning 3-2 consistently and with a reasonable amount of stuff left over.

I found that finding an early Gloves of Midas in 3-1 can be super helpful. There are a couple of glyphs that are also great for part 2. Don't want to say more for fear of spoiling, feel free to ask for more :)
TheSchachter

Postby lolQuaff on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:47 am

Thanks ^^ I took a bit of a break from this quest, but will probably resume my attempts today or tomorrow. During that break though, I thought up a couple of ways to approach part2 that will likely be much more efficient. Hopefully I'm right :D

One thing that bothers me about TQ3 is part1 feels like a chore to get through. It's very easy, and no matter how you perform you will always get to part 2 with the same amount of resources.

You had to learn to do part1 of TQ2 well because in doing so you get rewarded by saving precious potions and also you get more whisps, super spoons, and courage juice which make part2 easier and more efficient. A more efficient part2 means you are going in to part 3 with more resources. I really like how that works and it's one of the reasons I really love these triple quests.

This doesn't exist in parts 1 -> 2 of TQ3 (performance is very important in 2 -> 3 of course). The only thing that matters is your glyph/shop choices. So what happens to me is I feel like I need to just get through part1 to actually begin triple quest 3. I get frustrated and bored mindlessly clicking about in part1 just to get to part2. To add to that I get into this hypnotic rhythm of mindless play for a couple of minutes while I am drinking blood and casting fireballs hahaha. This wasn't helping my decision making heading into part2 so what I ended up doing is taking a break for 5 minutes each time before part2 so I could refocus and slow down my trigger finger :D

Perhaps this all part of the designers master plan to make TQ3 more difficult! Put the players in a hypnotic trance of poor play to make part2 more difficult! They are evil geniuses!! ;)
lolQuaff

Postby lordatog on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:41 am

So, in 3-3...

spoiler* Are the stat changes for the Avatars totally random? I couldn't figure out any kind of pattern. I just kept hitting whichever one gave me the best ratio of damage dealt/damage taken, and fireballing when they all had high attack. Fell way, way short, though. I don't think the Namtar's Ward I brought is going to get it done here.
lordatog

Postby lolQuaff on Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:12 am

Pretty sure they're random.

My game crashed yesterday as I was about to kill the third one and I was in ridiculously good shape imo. I was going to write up a post about it but don't want to spoil.

This quest is fucking awesome imo. That's pretty much what I was thinking to myself on and off as I was fumbling through my decisions during that fight. It sucks that my game crashed but I look forward to playing it more.
lolQuaff

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons