I forgot just how annoying Naga City is.

All things Desktop Dungeons

I forgot just how annoying Naga City is.

Postby Wargasm on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:10 pm

I remembered from before to do unlock order of DI/VHoS/NC, but boy did I forget what I did for NC. Well, I remember one of my three clears was Vampire before the Bloodless nerf on the mobs that spawn in the arena. I knew I wanted to do DI first both for the shield as a prep for VHoS and to use Half-Dragon as one of my VHoS classes. Then the idea would be to bull through VHoS with Half-Dragon, Sorcerer, and Berserker and plow through NC with Vampire as one of my classes.

That didn't go as planned. I either never knew about the Bloodless nerf or had forgotten. I think I need to go locker Midas Gloves, as they're pretty much required from the start if you want to buy up three shops worth of potions and have leftover gold for the arena. I remembered to prep an Translocation scroll to snag the Yendor but elsewise I got ruined pretty hard.I really need to go get more locker slots; I've got Crystal Ball (general awesomeness), Elven Boots (for Bloodmages, so they can start with ten mana), Soul Orb (comes in handy for a number of dungeons), Dragon Shield (duh), Dwarven Gauntlets (pretty much my go-to non-caster prep), and Vampiric Blade (this needs to go, actually - it's useful sometimes, but never really right from the start.)

Of course I also want to locker Midas Gloves, Fabulous Treasure, Yendor, and probably five other things.

Anyhow, I'm going to go abuse NC's mechanics with some kind of Tinker after I go get Midas Gloves from some burning dungeon. Elf, probably, with Crystal Ball. I'll hopefully figure out something out. Dracul and Bloodmage are out with this Bloodless stuff. :/
Wargasm

Re: I forgot just how annoying Naga City is.

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:36 pm

Naga City remains my favorite vicious dungeon :)
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 pm

Hmm... I like naga city, but it can't match Namtar in terms of epicness. On the topic of Naga City vampires, this is actually one of the hardest clears for there. You basically want to reach level 10 before descension, as that allows SMM to be a MASSIVE blood bank for one form and Tomithy will be too. If you can do that and you have GETINDARE than most bosses will do 40 (or is it 25) to you with 5 layers of lifesteal, and that means if you have sufficient damage (I recommend prepping Dwarven Gauntlets and extra attack) you can pretty much kill the average bosses (Snake and Golem) without anything. Alternatively, you can go the full troll route and go for 7 lifesteal, RBS, and Platemail. That means you are invincible at level 10 (assuming you can deal 70 damage) and only have to deal with Tormented One, Goo Blob, Tomithy to a certain extent, Gobb (although he won't be very challenging), and Aequitas. Not to mention SMM will be a GIANT blood bank.

Also, Midas Gloves aren't a prerequisite for NC at all. You can sell the dropped trophies for 25 each, so you can get a potion barrel for 1 trophy, yendor for 2 (with 5 left over), or an altar for one (with 5 left over).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Wargasm on Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Not a requirement at all, no. But it helps on the top floor - you get an extra fifty or so gold to play with, which means probably smashing three altars, or getting an Agnostic Collar and smashing one. Plenty of piety. Useless to Vampires, but everyone else likes it.
Wargasm

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:53 am

Naga City is also my favourite Vicious, mainly because it was my first :) I remember scouting it, finding out that I had to "fight three rounds" in the arena, figuring that meant three bosses and then the Prince, coming back fully prepped and killing the third boss with a little bit of resources left over...

WHAT

Yup. That shock made finally achieving victory all the more wonderful... Namtar's Lair is a really cool dungeon, probably my second favourite, but the monster pool, layout and first two boss forms are really painful, which makes me hesistate to go there :P

As for actually beating Naga CIty itself, I recently took an Orc Monk with a Dragon Shield and prepared Binlor. I had a bunch of other things prepared, but it really didn't matter... what did matter is that I found a Poison Dagger and Vampiric Blade in the shops, and went down to the arena at level 8-to-9. I've *never* had such an easy time in the arena before, not even with the Paladin that I used to do it Parched.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby FDru on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:56 am

Yeah poison makes it easy, what with all the regenerating blackspace. Unfortunately poison dagger is a fairly mediocre prep.

I never felt like I had to scum dragon isles or halls of steel.
FDru

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:12 am

I rolled it yesterday with a parched Dragon Shield Crusader. JJ->Prepped Binlor->JJ again->GG. I think the classic GG/dwarf/paladin Healthmonster should work even after the nerfs to absolution if you have the fire heart. Vampire is fairly hard now but also probably still the easiest way to get faithless.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:25 am

Wait, what? How is that possible? There are no gods (excluding your prepped Binlor) on the topside, so how could you go to your prepped Binlor after descending to JJ in the arena?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:37 am

Crusader extra altar seems to work on it now (bringing one up topside). I was pretty surprised too. That probably makes the Crusader a very good choice for purist if it works without a prepped altar. Think straight Binlor ->whoever would work fine too.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:02 am

Oh, wow. I had no idea! Yeah, that makes crusader a pretty great pick for NC. Being able to juggle a god of your choice with another (who is hopefully a piety farm) is very powerful, and doing that when you aren't normally allowed to is unfair. Hmm... I concur on Binlor being the best prep for that, although I could see EM or MA depending on strategy.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons