[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Fighter is underwhelming

Fighter is underwhelming

All things Desktop Dungeons

Fighter is underwhelming

Postby Dwarf Wizard on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:22 pm

Maybe it's only me but the Fighter just seems to pale in comparisson to other classes.

-Instincts is almost useless. It offers a litle extra information that might save you a few black squares. 1/10

-Pit Dog: A good power, unfortunately it is hampered by the fact that it is one-time use only (I'm looking at you, Warlord). 3/10

-Veteran: Now this is the saving grace that makes the FIghter playable. He needs less XP to level and gets +1 XP per kill. Others would kill for this power. Getting the most out of in-fight level ups is the only thing that keeps Fighter in the game. It is almost as broken as the Rinnegan. 10/10

Now the problem here for me is that Fighter has nothing that helps him beat a higher level monster, in fact no power that helps him in battle at all (except Pit Dog for one time only). Too much of this classes power was pumped into the Veteran ability, so the other two had to stay kinda underwhelming.

I wouldn't mind if Veteran was toned down in exchange for some kind of defense or attack boost. DR 1 baked into Pit Dog maybe? It always felt weird to me that the fighter is inherently worse in close combat than a thief or even a priest (or a Wizard wih the FIrst Strike or Strenght spell)

Hard commons, hard life.

Thoughts?

PS: sorry for bad englando
Last edited by Dwarf Wizard on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwarf Wizard

Re: Fighter is underwhelming

Postby Grakor456 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:31 pm

Fighter is a bit of a noob-trap. Instincts trains people to do the wrong thing.

Though my advice? Equip a Fighter with a balanced dagger. +3 bonus experience on same-level kills turns Instincts from useless to crazy good, and it works well with his already efficient experience to make the Fighter level blindingly fast. And, since you're killing same-level mobs instead of higher level ones, your lack of good combat abilities don't matter as much. Getting the same amount of bonus experience for killing a same-level monster as what most classes get for killing something two levels higher is just crazy good.
Grakor456

Postby The Avatar on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:37 pm

Hmm... I could see an argument for balancing his power between his class abilities, but as is he is one of the more powerful classes out there (top tier, but not god tier). And yes, him being a fighter makes very little sense considering he is a better wizard than the wizard and the wizard is a better fighter than him.

The thing is, he can get 3+ (and I've gotten 5 before, but I can't imagine it being possible to get 6) mid-flight level ups on a boss, which means as long as you can level with few resources (frankly all I need is BURNDAYRAZ usually, and that is preppable) and store your popcorn diligently, you can get to the boss fight early (level 4-7) and burn the boss to death with 3-6 full tanks of 24 mana as an elf, and you can still get in physical attacks once your health is high enough. Although the god-assassin does this better than he does, the fighter does better in dungeons where there lots of bosses (it is easier to save/pace mid-fight level ups between boss fights), and he is a better fighter so his mid-fight level ups are better vs bosses with counter-fireball, etc.

On the topic of balanced dagger, despite the obvious synergy, I rarely ever use it for him. I find you may start bosses with higher stats, but you get less mid-fight level ups which are where he really excels.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:39 pm

Fighter has no innate leverage (leverage is the word we've taken to using for things that let you operate above your nominal level). He has a really hard opening game if played purist. Veteran is the only power that really matters, but oh my goodness does it ever matter.

As for making him more "Fighter-like," this is something that was discussed to death during beta. The Fighter was intended to be a baseline class. He's basically a Guard, but with some crazy xp bonuses.

Believe it or not, Fighter used to be much weaker (he didn't get the discount on levels, you stopped getting dings altogether at level 10, and slow didn't offer bonus xp). The devs eventually relented by increasing his Veteran power while leaving his "flavorless" style intact.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:41 pm

The free DP is better than you'd think, it's just that Warlord really makes it look bad. It lets you level up more easily. (And chaining those things is fun if you can find them).

Veteran is really strong.

The scouting is, however, rather useless.

But Veteran is strong enough that you could simply move the either half of it to Instincts and the class wouldn't look so bad.

As for overall strenght, he's not weak at all if you know your popcorn management. And he's silly with TT or JJ or Mystera or...
Last edited by Lujo on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:49 pm

Veteran is what carries the class. For better or worse, his other class features range from marginal to negligible. On the whole, it balances out somewhere around average.
Darvin

Postby TheSchachter on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 pm

Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby FDru on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:06 am

Instincts could probably be replaced with "starts with the WONAFYT glyph" and still serve the stated purpose. That's a common early find anyway, so I don't see it being imbalanced.

I'm sure that's been suggested before several times, though.
FDru

Postby Lujo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:22 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Dwarf Wizard on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:45 am

Dwarf Wizard

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons