Invent your own class!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Invent your own class!

Postby Dwarf Wizard on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:54 am

I'll give it a try (with little regard to whether this class would be balanced or not)

Scholar Class

These bored students were sent out into the world to seek knowledge. Unfortunately, this includes studying monsters - up close. Armed with old books and poor hygiene, they use their smarts to their advantage in combat.

Abilities:

-COMBAT FOLIO: Detects the weak spot in enemies' defenses. Your spells and attacks ignore up to 35% physical and magic resistance.

-ALMANACH OF MONSTERS: Killing a monster grants you their positive statuses, e . g. poisonous attacks, fast regeneration, first strike and so on, if possible (death protection: limited to one layer). The bonuses last until you kill a new monster.

-TOME OF SUMMONING: Starts with the WONAFYT glyph.

Your turn now!
Dwarf Wizard

Re: Invent your own class!

Postby Wargasm on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:12 am

The first ability alone would be insane. Free super-RBS with no drawback, not even the inventory space? Welp, half the Vicious dungeons just became gobs easier. WONAFYT from the start is almost as good as Fighters' Veteran ability. I'm pretty sure the second ability would be game-breaking if used well. Especially the idea of dragging a boss down to 49%, then killing a popcorn Gorgon...

Yeah, it's interesting, but you're right, you didn't consider balance. I would break the game backwards and forwards with this. :p
Wargasm

Postby Dwarf Wizard on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:18 am

Well, there goes my career as game designer. At least now I know how difficult this is.

-FIrst ability could be toned down to a (much) lower %.
-Second ability could be limited to "bonuses last until your next physical attack".
-And for the third one... idk, maybe change it to WAYTWUT?

But anyway, this is not about patching my idea; I want to hear some classes from you guys!
Dwarf Wizard

Postby Lujo on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:40 am

I think the class would be overly powerful, but very unique in playstyle. :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Manabender on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:40 pm

I was just thinking about a class...here's what I came up with.

Druid:

-NATURE'S FRIEND: Starts with a NAYTURSKAL glyph, and spawns 30 plants on the map (if the map doesn't spawn plants normally). (NAYTURSKAL is a glyph that can't be picked up normally, and spawns two random plants in two random locations within 2 squares of the player, not including unrevealed squares. It costs 1 mana. It can spawn plants on walls, destroying the wall. It can't spawn them on non-wall impassible terrain, for example lava.)

-NATURE'S WRATH: For each visible plant within 2 squares of you, gain 3% attack bonus and 2% physical and magic resist, capped at ten plants. Additionally, gain first strike if there are twelve or more plants in range.

-NATURE'S FAVOR: Every second plant killed is killed for free. (You don't get poisoned, mana burned, cursed, or corroded, corrosive plants don't drop a corrosive pool, and the 999 attack plants don't hurt you)
Manabender

Postby Zaratustra on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:59 am

Wildling

FRIEND TO BEASTS: Gains traits of first monster defeated
FORAGE: Double regeneration from water tiles and plant tiles
SEEING RED: Can't cast glyphs below 50% health

Bard

SYMPHONY: Starts with WONAFYT glyph, casting cost reduced by 1
FUGUE: Visible monsters gain auto-follow ability (similar to Rex and Revenants)
DUET: When you attack a monster, lower level monsters adjacent to it also attack that monster

Hierophant/Hermit

SYNCHRETISM: Can worship more than one god at once
VOW OF POVERTY: Gold is always 0
HOLY PATH: Starts with altar positions identified

Diviner

INSIGHT: Tiles 2 tiles away are semi-revealed
LEYLINES: Momentary HP/MP/attack boost when acquiring a booster
HAYWIRE: Casting glyphs lays down a trap below you that deals 1 dmg/lv to next entity that steps on it

Changeling/Shifter

FLUX: 3 random traits from other classes
Zaratustra

Postby lordatog on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:44 am

Oracle class:

Blind Seer: Starts with DARKLOWD glyph, regens mana as usual while using it.
(DARKLOWD: can be toggled on and off. While on, tiles adjacent to you are not revealed as you explore. Clicking an adjacent dark tile reveals it but does not regenerate health, and does not regenerate mana unless you're an Oracle. Enemies do regenerate health.)
Aura Sense: Detects items, glyphs, and monsters within 3 spaces.
Destiny: All bosses are automatically revealed.
lordatog

Return to Desktop Dungeons