[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Any chance of a nerf to Thief Silver?

Any chance of a nerf to Thief Silver?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Any chance of a nerf to Thief Silver?

Postby Manabender on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Lately, I've been going through Silver challenges a lot. I have ten of them done so far, have "skipped" two, and haven't touched the other three. Thief is one I've skipped, come back to, and skipped again. (Priest I skipped, but haven't been back to yet, and Transmuter, Crusader, and Tinker are the ones I haven't touched)

Thief Silver is...silly, for lack of a better word. I managed to finish all ten of the others in no more than four attempts, and most in no more than two. But I've put at least seven real attempts into Thief and have never been anywhere near boss-ready. It takes WAY too many resources, primarily blankspace, to level up, unless you get lucky.

I mean, I know what to do. That isn't the problem. The problem is that I'm not finding what I need to find fast enough, and it's wasting too much blankspace.

Just to be sure, here's what I do:

Level 1: Kill the nearby chest to get LEMMISI.
Use LEMMISI until a level 2 or a monster very close to a level 2 is revealed.
Find two attack boosters, OR find one booster and convert LEMMISI.
Find three health boosters OR a health potion.
WEYTWUT to get to a level 2.
Reveal all blankspace around the level 2. (Usually, this involves WEYTWUTing it)
Kill it: Hit, potion, (2nd potion if maxHP < 13), hit, WEYTWUT, hit.

Level 2: Effortlessly kill the other two level 2s.
Kill a level 3: Hit, regen, hit, WEYTWUT, hit.

Level 3-4: Same dance as before. Kill any chests that are able to be killed.

Level 5: If it's revealed, kill the level 9 chest for a fireball glyph.

Level 6: Run out of blankspace and give up.

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or is this challenge really just an RNG thing?
Manabender

Re: Any chance of a nerf to Thief Silver?

Postby dislekcia on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Definitely a different strategy to this one, I'd say you're probably looking for the wrong things. The basic idea is that the monster numbers per level are inverted, so you have 10 level 9s and 3 level 2s. All you need to do is ask yourself if you can really kill that many level 9s usefully, then the rest will flow from there.

This actually got a little easier with the extra exp that slow can give you in certain situations :)
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:20 pm

You should only be killing higher level guys too. The most important chests are ENDISWAL and GETINDARE. I actually made a video of this awhile back (when it was actually HARDER than it is now). If you totally give up, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulOyMgGm2HQ
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Wargasm on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:10 am

At least Thief Silver is reliant on strategy. Wait until you get to Tinker/Transmuter. :p
Wargasm

Postby Manabender on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:26 am

Manabender

Postby JayPlaysIndieGames on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:46 am

Watched your video Avatar. Did you honestly say that balanced dagger was not a great item?!?!?! I love the balanced dagger! C'mon take it back :p

But seriously if prepped or found early it saves tons of exploration and gives you way more options when it comes to enemy targeting. What's not to like?
http://www.youtube.com/JayPlaysIndieGames
Check out the Desktop Dungeons Review, let's play, and tutorials :)
JayPlaysIndieGames

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:47 am

Yeah, that was when the balanced dagger was +2 and costed gold every use (forced). Trust me, I love the little thing now.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:56 am

dislekcia

Postby Wargasm on Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:08 am

Wargasm

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:23 am

Wow. More proof of how great this game is. That run was a long time ago and my strategy today is a bit more refined, but the fact that it is conquerable in two ways? Never would have guessed it.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons