Any chance of a nerf to Thief Silver?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Any chance of a nerf to Thief Silver?

Postby dislekcia on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:32 am

Seriously peeps, petrify superfluous level 9s. Win. With loads of blackspace left over.

That was the strategic wisdom from these forums when this challenge was first created, I'm not sure why the Endiswal strategy has pushed that out of everyone's memory.
dislekcia

Postby Wargasm on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:52 am

Grakor456 wrote:Transmuter Silver seems like it depends on scumming for a balanced dagger, which is :-/

Goblins can do it without BD, although you may need to luck out so far as finding conversion bait in your shops. I know my victory required getting both Venom Ward and Soul Orb to be able to attack the boss once I hit ten.
Wargasm

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:56 pm

@dislekcia: Yeah, that is the big difference between my strategy then vs now. Also, you should, IMO, be both ENDISWALing and IMAWALing.

@Wargasm: Very true, but both makes it a joke. That is the biggest flaw in Paladin Gold and Transmuter Silver. One item breaks them.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Wargasm on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm currently trying to figure out how to handle Warlord Gold without the old Tri-Sword. I think I have to do EM spikes but I *loathe* using EM on tight maps. It's introducing a luck element into an otherwise strategic conflict and I can possibly get screwed by random plant placement. :/
Wargasm

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:55 pm

Hmm... I like JJ orcs or gnomes. The 20% resist reduction is huge. Also, Drac is incredibly helpful for SMM.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby OneMoreNameless on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 pm

dislekcia wrote:Seriously peeps, petrify superfluous level 9s. Win. With loads of blackspace left over.

This is what I was almost entirely doing, and when I did finally win it was with maybe 10% blackspace to spare and still only after scumming for a lucky initial layout of boosters, chests etc. to get started. >_>
OneMoreNameless

Postby Naoya on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Wargasm wrote:I'm currently trying to figure out how to handle Warlord Gold without the old Tri-Sword. I think I have to do EM spikes but I *loathe* using EM on tight maps. It's introducing a luck element into an otherwise strategic conflict and I can possibly get screwed by random plant placement. :/

Dont be afraid of using EM early on; just join her for the free IMAWAL, that thing is huge. Using entanglement once or twice also shouldn't screw you too hard, but allow you to get a couple higher level kills.
I found the order in which you defeat the bosses somewhat important; I usually approach Bleaty first, and convert CYDSTEPP afterwards since its basically useless against the remaining enemys; then prepare a midfight ding or two and battle SMM and the Goo Blob at the same time, dedicating physical resources to the one and magical to the other. The shade usually gets thrown with whatever is left.

I somehow never use ENDISWALL or IMAWALL on Thief Silver. I keep converting stuff so I can twoshot enemys one level higher with WHEYTWHUT, and switch to GETINDARE around lv 5 or so. The boss usually goes down with GETINDARE + potion spamm. Though admittedly, I scum for a couple boosters early everytime for the first lv 2. Though using them instead of converting ought to work a bit better.
Naoya

Postby Grakor456 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:01 am

Wargasm wrote:Goblins can do it without BD, although you may need to luck out so far as finding conversion bait in your shops. I know my victory required getting both Venom Ward and Soul Orb to be able to attack the boss once I hit ten.

Yeah, been trying it as a goblin, but not getting what I need to make it really work. Actually, I think what would help most is an early WONAFYT. The goblin conversion bonus alone just isn't doing it for me.

I don't like this challenge. It feels more like a goblin challenge instead of a Transmuter challenge.
Grakor456

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:09 am

It isn't the best crafted challenge. Really it drpends a lot on luck, but WONAFYT, ENDISWAL and balanced dagger are the best finds. I try to preserve glyphs for as long as possible using item conversions and glyph use.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Grakor456 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:48 am

The Avatar wrote:It isn't the best crafted challenge. Really it drpends a lot on luck, but WONAFYT, ENDISWAL and balanced dagger are the best finds. I try to preserve glyphs for as long as possible using item conversions and glyph use.

It's a very silly challenge. I finally managed to finish all three, though. Here is what I learned from each:

Crusader Silver taught me that a SMM with corrosion and weakening is the most annoying boss imaginable, and that Momentum + WONAFYT is amazing for one-shotting same-level mobs and not getting weakened/corroded.

Tinker Silver taught me that a lucky WONAFYT early is a good counter against mass life-steal.

Transmuter Silver taught me that Transmuters can easily scum for specific glyphs thanks to LEMMISI, which saves significant time in scumming for WONAFYT.

All three taught me that WONAFYT is probably the most powerful and game-changing glyph in the game. ...I'm pretty sure those aren't the lessons I was intended to learn, but that's what I learned.
Grakor456

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons