[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Postby Wargasm on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Heck, I remember even before the red flash was in. I think I had two misclick deaths before that, one because the phone rang and startled me. I haven't had any since, even while multitasking with two other games usually.
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:28 pm

Eh, the cat related missclicks were a thing a while back for me XD

But really, people, death is there for a reason, and they put in heaps and heaps of ways to not get yourself misclicked to death (plus deaths due to inatention are your own fault, really - I'm very sloppy and absent minded and I barely ever get myself killed nowdays).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:49 pm

berpdreyfuss

Postby Robotrek1000 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:55 pm

Please, Dear Developers - make a death warning as an option - I'm tired of meaningful deaths. I'm not an expert at rogue-like games and I'm not a masochist to get pleasure of dying - if only this is the main aim of the game. PLEASE! Could someone tell this to developers?
Robotrek1000

Postby dislekcia on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:22 am

dislekcia

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:42 am

By half-paying attention, he claims.
Wargasm

Postby Robotrek1000 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:49 am

All of my deaths are connected with that problem, I almost always during playing session dying3-4 times. I don't how you tested this, but normal person I think would also often die by a mistake and that ruins all game progress.
Am I the only one who complaining on that? If not you should probably add death warning feature or something similar. Because when you are tired and want to relax you can make mistakes. People often make mistakes - it is in their nature. But I did't learn anything useful from this dying mistakes, because this mistakes connected with lack of concentration or not paying too much attention to characters bars.
I'm a normal person with normal attention and perception and level of concentration. Problem is not with me, it's with absence of death warning, because of which I always die by a mistake.
This type of mistake that is in the game (absence of death warning) - it's not right design decision. If you add this feature (death warning) - it will not ruin gameplay it will only make it better.
But if I the only person who bother about that - then I maybe in near future stop playing game, because I can't play it that way - without death warning.
Is it really so hard to put an option to on/off death warning?
Robotrek1000

Postby Sidestepper on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:11 am

The game is like that by design. Some people like it, some people don't. I happen to like it, but I understand why some people don't.

Anyways, it doesn't matter. Desktop Dungeons was designed and made by a small team with a specific vision in mind, a vision that includes a merciless and slightly dickish death mechanic. The game is not a community property, and while it was informed by community input, it was never directed by community input. It's not something that's going to change because of petitions or debate, any more than a novelist would rewrite their book to give it a happier ending because of fan feedback.
Sidestepper

Postby OneMoreNameless on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:10 am

OneMoreNameless

Postby Robotrek1000 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:53 am

It's not supposed to be a simple sign "Are yo sure?".
It may be that you need to click monster with death bar 2 times. First time you click something happen with the screen (it becomes more red, or animation of red flashing changes) and you hear some warning sound. Second time you click - you die. There's a lot of design decisions that can be made on this feature.
If I'm not the one who have the similar problem why not to implant this feature in some way?
It also seems to me that if you implant this feature - there could be no death at all, but for now the only deaths now is deaths by mistake or lack of attention. I don't know if that right.
If this is a specific design feature (death by mistake) and if you could explain the importance of this deaths by mistake - so be it and we can end this conversation.
If deaths by mistake is important for core gameplay, there maybe some design decisions made about death confirmation (one decision I already proposed)
But as for me - red flashing is not enough to prevent from death mistake
Robotrek1000

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons