[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Postby letsdance on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:14 am

i frequently die from accidental double clicks. i lose about every 3rd game because of it and i'm getting to the point where the game is no longer fun (altough i love it otherwise). maybe my mouse has an issue, i don't know. but i don't remember having this problem in any other game or program.

btw, i wouldn't consider myself a noob, i've about 25 dungeons unlocked and am just missing a few buildings in town because i don't find the quests for them. the problem seems to become worse as i progress through the game, because the maps become harder. i also don't see how setting attack to right mouse button would help. it would help if attacking would only be possible by keyboard. but honestly, implement such a stupid workaround instead of an optional warning message?

really sad to lose interest in such a great game for such a design decision.
letsdance

Postby dislekcia on Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:08 pm

dislekcia

Postby squirrelnest on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 am

I don't post here much, and I'm frankly shocked that I read this whole thread. Apparently this horse is super dead, but... I kind have a weird desire to express my own take on why death, as it is now, is super good for the learning curve.

The lesson death provides in DD isn't "take your time when you play." The lesson death teaches is "decide what resources to spend on a monster one attack at a time." I know everyone on these boards already knows that, but for at least some of players, the death mechanic is why.

Say I was even worse at DD than I am now, like how I was when I started. I might pick a monster, click it till i get a warning or the clicks stop doing anything, then if it's not dead i think about using glyphs or regen fighting. This is a low skill behavior that's not even close to ideal. SO the devs were kind enough to put in death, and now i have to decide if each attack was worth it, one at a time, instead of just picking a monster and spamming. If I thoughtlessly spam attacks I'll just die.

Death even makes sure I can't spam attack for the first few dungeons where I could get still win that way. (if there was a death warning) Death prevents me form learning this bad habit that I would lack the skill to unlearn later then get frustrated and quit.

So yeah, tossed my two cents into a very full piggy bank. Have a nice evening all.
squirrelnest

Postby Tinker on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:56 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Gakato on Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:36 am

Well I agree with both of you (squirrelnest and Tinker) and that's also why I think that the "Sign confirmation which prevents character from death" is only an option that can be considered for veterans of the game. Maybe completing the "Dark Souls" quest may award you with such an option to turn on in the configuration. At that point, you should know that clicking around without thinking is not a good idea in DD. :D But I guess, a lot of people will then complain that you have to unlock it and it would be soooo useful earlier on. So yea, just activate attack on right click and curse the mouse or yourself when you die in a stupid manner again. :D
Gakato

Postby squirrelnest on Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Tinker: I don't play dailies, and I'm not a pro player. I can clear viscous dungeons with one or two meaningful badges if I try my very best. The balanced dagger nerf hit me hard. I can't come at this debate from a high skill perspective, but I'm not trying to. I consider myself a college dropout on the DD food chain.

If I could turn on death prevention now, after playing off and on for years, I would. I just feel like learning the game with it on would teach such bad habits that many players would never get over the "n00b stage" and therefore quit before they got to enjoy namtor's ward. (for example)

The unfun of death for anyone who's already progressed enough to be clearing shifting passages (or whatever) is a price we pay to make sure that more people can get there in the first place.

The tone you mention i *hope* is just perceived. I don't think anyone is saying that a medium to high skilled player dying is supposed to be fun or educational, EPICALLY when it's just to a miss-click.

Gakato: I agree with you so hard. While clearing the Dark Souls quest to unlock would seem like the perfect solution, it wouldn't end the debate, and suddenly the argument becomes "uuuugggggggg why to i have to missclick die for 10 hours just to play the game"
squirrelnest

Postby dislekcia on Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:43 am

dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Funny you should mention the locker debate. Infinite lockers made me actually explore a million unexplored things and get a much better perspective of the game in one playthrough than I did in several with finite lockers. And have had way more fun. Never would've even put in that last, very through playthrough with limited lockers. It would've probably cut down playtesting time in the beta considerably if we had it all along.

So if it's exactly like that...

But I do agree that death has a crucial place in the learning curve early on. Still would bump any late game unlock, because missclicks suck...
Last edited by Lujo on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:31 pm

My compromise position would be a once-per-dungeon warning. Would massively reduce the amount of misclicks-to-death I get without letting me give up on the risk assessment business. That said, I can understand why you wouldn't want to introduce it because then it becomes a you-have-one-why-not-all-the-time thing.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:50 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons