[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 pm

I don't think it's fair to put all people who do or don't need a prediction into a box. That just tends to make people angry and doesn't really help your point. And frankly, if you play slower you should basically never have a misclick (barring hardware mishaps). In fact, if you do misclick die, the game is trying to subtlety show you that you are playing to fast (probably).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby OneMoreNameless on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:19 am

@Wargasm: Eh, in the context of a turn-based game such as Desktop Dungeons I'd consider the term 'gameplay' to refer only to choice of items, combat tactics etc. whereas an extra click or two (that would be optional) after you've already made your decision doesn't affect the former and so would be a minor UI concern. This argument is getting about three topics away from anything meaningful at this point though so enough of that.

@dislekcia: Seriously though, update your FAQ with a mention of and explanation for commonly denied suggestions. (And, like, that the game is actually released.) When a new player identifies a problem and helpfully suggests an improvement, taking time out of your busy day to respond that they and everybody else are wrong and you're refusing to explain why is a dick move, not even counting the insult towards the beta testers who warned you this exact situation would occur.

For reasons that would plainly be useless to go into, I myself am neutral towards a death confirmation. However, I will suggest that an option to disable the red screen flash be made available. It gets a little irritating after a while, and I'm not convinced it's helpful as a warning - it occurs so often while eg. checking enemy stats or between every cast of a fireball barrage that I suspect a player is either going to become very quickly desensitized to it or else start avoiding higher level enemies altogether instead of figuring out ways to defeat them.
OneMoreNameless

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:16 am

berpdreyfuss

Postby OneMoreNameless on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:06 am

OneMoreNameless

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:53 am

berpdreyfuss

Postby OneMoreNameless on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:28 am

OneMoreNameless

Postby Robotrek1000 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:41 pm

If developers want to sell game to wider auditory of people, they should include death warning. If they are not planning to go with tablets and massive casual category, they may not include this feature and limit number of gamers of Desktop Dungeons to those people who are using this forum and some people on steam.
So shortly: if developers want to make more money and get a larger auditory (because normal person after several accidental deaths will delete the game) they have to add the possibility of death warning, or design death warning in some smart way, or just let the user the ability to turn on/off death warning
Robotrek1000

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm

What about: "DD is a turn-based game that provides constant visibility to all uncovered tiles. Neither quick thinking nor information recall are being tested in the same manner that forward thinking, puzzle solving and being patient and focussed for the time of a dungeon run are."?

You exclude "being focussed" from your definition of DD to argue that an element which encourages that is not good.
berpdreyfuss

Postby OneMoreNameless on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:53 pm

If anything, I excluded risk management. Remaining focused for the length of a dungeon run is - although advisable - not being tested or strictly necessary to win as a perusal of the screen will provide you with any information you may have forgotten. I am, in fact, in middle of a Magma Mines run right now before I was distracted by wondering what other players' opinions of a particular subdungeon were and then subsequently this updated topic. ^_^;

Encouraging players to remain focused through aesthetic techniques or interface choices is obviously a good thing regardless of how you define Desktop Dungeon's genre of core gameplay, though there are other downsides to this particular choice. That it is an interface choice is part of the reason that many new players are going to rail against it - the common expectation is that a game's interface should work for the player, and if it seems like the interface itself is punishing the player then they're less likely to take away the lesson intended behind it.

In any case, my own opinion is that a death confirmation would be nice but ultimately fruitless since there dozens of other undetectable ways you could make careless mistakes or just inevitably derp on occasion that screw up your puzzle without literally instant-killing your character.
OneMoreNameless

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:04 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons