Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Sign confirmation which prevents character from death

Postby Robotrek1000 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Lujo wrote:
And for the dude - don't play on a bloody touchpad. And don't get overconfident. And there's a feature in the menu which works exactly as you described - one click to select ETC. They implemented it. It's there :D

Robotrek1000

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Also, out of curiosity, since your viewpoint relates a lot to what I see as the universaly sane one (apart from lack of perspective, ofc) - what classess do you preffer? Do you stick to what you know that works? Do you play purist or prepped? What classess do you die the most with?

It's the "overconfidence" bit that's bothering me. I know of a few ways to get overconfident in the game for no good reason, and I'd love to see if I'm right.
Lujo

Postby Robotrek1000 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Lujo wrote:
Also, out of curiosity, since your viewpoint relates a lot to what I see as the universaly sane one (apart from lack of perspective, ofc) - what classess do you preffer? Do you stick to what you know that works? Do you play purist or prepped? What classess do you die the most with?

I prefer thief class, but I haven't unlock all classes and rasces - so I prefer elf thief, because he can use more gluphs and first 30% to first hit is also cool :D :D :D And I usually play purist, but I haven't gotten too far in the game process. And I haven't envented special tactic yet :D
Robotrek1000

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Well, then just use the select mode, learn it (you can also get overconfident and kill yourself with that, too, so don't be a dumbass :D), and enjoy the game. You've only just started, and if you learn not to die you'll aslo learn a lot of stuff that'll come in handy later.
Lujo

Postby Robotrek1000 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:33 pm

But for the moment I'm still stick to my point of view - this discussion didn't change it :D :D :D
Robotrek1000

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Robotrek1000 wrote:But for the moment I'm still stick to my point of view - this discussion didn't change it :D :D :D

Feel free to as far as I'm concerned, it's not contrary to what I've just told you at all. :)
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:04 pm

Robotrek1000 wrote:But using one touch to kick enemy is not for me. Made 2 touch - first warn you, second you win or die.
I want to make decisions to die or not, and this game can allow it. But I don't want to die all the time by accident - it doesnt learn me nothing.
For example in Dead Souls each death train you game skill - you teaching on your mistakes. And what skill should one touch death in DD teach me - not to touch death bars and be careful - honestly it's not very useful skill.

Have you tried using the different combat systems in the the game instead of the standard clicking?

The tutorials teach you that you can use right click selection to pick an enemy to fight, which means you'll have no reason to left click on an enemy ever. If you're having accuracy problems with not managing to click on enemies, then you can use the keyboard arrows to move and select enemies instead (and yes, you can move diagonally with the keyboard too). We've tried to build a lot of options into the game to allow people to interface with it in different ways instead of adding something that does tangible damage to the game.
dislekcia

Postby Robotrek1000 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:10 pm

Dislekcia wrote:
We've tried to build a lot of options into the game to allow people to interface with it in different ways instead of adding something that does tangible damage to the game.

You know what's better to the game, I just stated my point of view :)
Robotrek1000

Postby Grakor456 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 pm

Wargasm wrote:I want to play Minesweeper, click on a mine, and not die.
I want to play Mario games and have to run into everything twice before I take damage.
I want to play Castlevania games where no monster's first hit counts.

While I'm not on the side of "we should have this in the game," I do think that if you create comparisons like this, they should be relevant to what you're arguing. Castlevania and Mario are real-time games, where part of the challenge is reacting to a threat within a limited time window. This doesn't apply to DD, which is entirely turn-based. At the same time, Minesweeper is based on using clues to make educated guesses as to where threats are. This also doesn't apply to DD, which gives you all of the information that you need to know if you can take out an enemy or not by simply mousing over him.

This "feature" (or lack thereof, as the case may be) is not really tied into difficulty, at least not in the conventional sense. It's more of a weighing of holding attention spans and concentration vs. "ease of use"/"quality of life."
Grakor456

Postby Wargasm on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:11 am

He was asking for protection from accidents. I was making a similar request of other games and implying how dull they'd be without the possibility of accidents. Or do you oft times lose games on purpose that you are playing by yourself? If you do not, then when you do, it is by accident. Comprende?
Wargasm

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons