[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Orb of Zot

The Orb of Zot

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Orb of Zot

Postby OneMoreNameless on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:16 am

Am I just comparatively bad at leveraging the abilities of other items, or is the Orb of Zot as crazy powerful as it feels for a prep? Your ability to instantly begin spiking high level enemies goes through the roof when even your thieves can whittle down their HP before fully engaging. Bosses require far less resources saved to defeat, to say nothing of what a Can of Whupaz will do to them. It's not even like you're trading in much statistical power for it, since prepping it still lets you spend gold freely in the dungeon shops.

It may not be very applicable to Gaan-Telet or probably the vicious dungeons which I haven't tried yet shame shame shame, but if I can cakewalk over the Slime Pits with a monk mostly using BURNDAYRAZ, there's probably no 'hard' dungeons that it can't wreck.

It's okay if you're saving up for and buying it during a dungeon run, or even just occasionally getting lucky and filching it via seal, but maybe it shouldn't be lockerable?
OneMoreNameless

Re: The Orb of Zot

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:24 am

Weird, but I've never thought to locker it... What is it's prep cost, and what is it's relocker cost?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby OneMoreNameless on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:49 am

OneMoreNameless

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:54 am

Well if it really standoutishly strong, the devs could fix it by upping the relockering cost of it. The way you describe it it sounds like it's really powerfull. This isn't a problem in and off itself since the monk, for example, or a priest can fireball anything with Avatar's Codex and EM prepped, but the Orb is Available much earlier.

Sticking a prohibitive relockering cost on stuff works wonders to discourage people from doing something before they "beat the game" and stabilize the market (and even later because of the locker slot grind and "need money for VGT runs" syndrome). That might be a solution.

Any other vet got an oppinion on this?
Lujo

Postby FDru on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 am

It's nice but causes immense resource drain to use effectively. It's fine as is.
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:17 am

Actually, the reason it is so ridiculous is the orb-whupaz combo. It goes to 75% of their max hp, or 37.5% of their original max hp. Whupaz should be 75% of current hp, so it isn't broken.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby OneMoreNameless on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:47 am

OneMoreNameless

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:55 am

Yes, and all of that is totally avoidable by throwing down whupaz. Just to top it off though, for multiple boss runs where you would be fireballing down the boss, it is not that resource intensive. Especially in somewhere like Demonic Library where the bosses have low hp and it will take relatively few resources to get them to half and then to finish them.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:39 am

Now I'm confused - you can always take one hit, or rather, administer the whoopaz by prepping a dodge potion (the yellow one). And if whoopaz takes away the, err, post-zot-overheal and then applies the effect to the reduced max hp, then you can, without batting an eyelash take a boss down to... 1/3 of his HP with no effort?

My, that is fairly broken. Lol, I say.

Does Zot work only on same level monsters or subdungeon monsters too? I'm asking because if it's the latter, then it's going to wreck sh*t up in vicious, too.

Otherwise it means everything is poisoned down to half-hp, and I've never really found the effect that good (must've used Zot once or twice in my whole career - but take that with a pinch of salt since it's rare and I don't rotate my locker slots a lot). If it is that good, just bumping the prep cost would do the trick, or rather the relockering cost, and if it isn't, well, it's a nice alternative strat, especially once they bump the prep cost. I hope they do.

And whoopaz - zot is really just gamebreakingly daft. Especially if you can scum up Zot via the Tinker challenge.
Lujo

Postby OneMoreNameless on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:16 am

OneMoreNameless

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons