[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Money Making Strategies?

Money Making Strategies?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Money Making Strategies?

Postby teasel on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:12 pm

hello! i had the awfull idea of spending all my money upgrading the bank and now i'm somewhat short on cash for when it comes to preparation...

so what's a good way to cash some money? midas glove? tinkerer? using the vicious token? doing the perpetual quest? all of the above?

do note that i already finished gaan-telan or whatever the final level is called
teasel

Re: Money Making Strategies?

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Doing flaming dungeons with bet on boss prepped with just about anything sucessfuly is bound to get you back up in a few runs.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:01 pm

If the PQI challenge you've been assigned is manageable, it's usually your best choice. However, PQI gets progressively more difficult the higher your completion percentage, so always do a sanity check and ask yourself "is the reward worth the trouble?" because at a certain point the answer will be "no". (my PQI is permanently fixated on vicious dungeons due to my high completion %; it's a pure money-loser at this point).

The flaming dungeons are usually a safer bet. Use the "bet on the boss" preparation if you want to further increase the value of the trophy. This is less than what you'd get from the PQI, but it lacks the class/race/badge restrictions so it's easier to clear. Another good approach is to aim for 100% completion. You get additional cash for new badges and class completion (and a pretty big payout for 50% and 100% completion on a specific dungeon) and that can add up.

Finally, when choosing preparations try to pick low cost ones. "Extra attack boosters" is a great one; it costs almost nothing but on a 10th level character it adds up to an extra 10 points of damage. The altar preps (except for "extra altar", which is pricey) are all very cost-effective choices, and a good altar selection can make a dungeon trivial. Jehora Jeheyu, Glowing Guardian, Binlor, Earthmother, Taurog, and Mystera are all particularly potent choices with the right combo backing it up.
Darvin

Postby teasel on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:07 pm

i noticed one of the dungeon had a flame on it but i never bothered to check it... so that's what it was? do you get double the boss reward or what?
teasel

Postby The Avatar on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Triple. Along with bet on boss it nets you 625 gold on the trophy, which is hard to beat for efficiency considering how easy the run is.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:12 am

Yes, but I find I can get through a bet on boss in a flaming dungeon considerably faster time wise vs a PQI, so for me personally burning dungeons are more efficient. It's simply because I go with the simplest easiest quick strategies so I make them mindless. I can maybe knock a burning dungeon out of the way in 3-5 minutes vs a PQI in 5-20.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:19 am

Flaming dungeon + bet on boss in a favourable location (one you know how to dismantle) with a proper altar prep is deffinitely going to beat PQI for ease of use. The run doesn't require any trickshots, while PQI has 3 requirements so it actually takes effort. PQI is more for the challenge/completion, flaming is for gold farming.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:21 am

If you are int he lategame, then chasing the flame and the PQI flag is the way to go. Early game, I beeline for the Thieves' Guild so that I can get Bet on Boss. When trophies are worth 300, BoB is fantastic.

If you need a few hundred coins but don't want to actually play a dungeon all the way through, you can make Halfling/Gnome Tinker runs against Venture Cave. It's a very open dungeon that can be quickly explored. The idea is to pick up all of the coins and potions, use your transmutation seals to open up the hidden subdungeon (and make a quick 20 coins), Translocate the most expensive shop item, convert all of the glyphs for more potions, and then leave. You'll make about 100 coins in just a few minutes. You can increase the yield by prepping Midas Gloves and Tikki Tooki, but I find that the extra work you need to do to justify these investments results in you making less money per minute than just going purist.

This is a very grindy process and I don't recommend it for general use, but it's nice when you are just a few coins short of an upgrade or you just zeroed out your account and need some prep money.
Sidestepper

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:16 am

I forget if this is a thing that happened or someone wanted to make happen but I seem to recall a discussion for outlining the best order to unlock things for making money early. I know it was based around manipulating your early game so Tikki Tooki was either the only unlocked deity or one of two, and veered towards all Thieves' Guild upgrades first.
Wargasm

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons