Desktop dungeons speed run project

All things Desktop Dungeons

Desktop dungeons speed run project

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Dislekcia said he'd be interested to see a desktop dungeons speedrun.

I assume he ment "The whole game" speedrun, grabbing all the throphies and beating the purist gaan'telet.

I've never been one for breaking speed records, but there's plenty of you guys who are on the boards.

What's the bare minimum of unlocks you'd need for thos silly time records?

What would the roadmap include?

Let's make this happen :)

My idea: You can get really far with fabulous treasure, a rogue and TT. Is this the way to go?

Anyone ever considered this? :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Desktop dungeons speed run project

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:41 pm

Hmm... If you mean just to Horratio, that is something like a free days work for me (not speeding). That means 2-3 hours probably, maybe less. I think I could do it in less than 2 hours.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Is it possible to just go around and round up throphies without any hickups? The actual run would vary wildly depending on what spawns where meanin you might not have to venture into certain dungeons at all, so beating a timing below some is sort of meaningless. Some housrule might be in order, like having to do all the dungeons where a throphy is a guaranteed spawn or something, but IDK.

And what do you think you'd need class/god/item/race wise in order to speed through stuff?
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Fabulous treasure would require completing all three Thief challenges. Given that thief silver and thief gold are quite scummy, I'm inclined to think that's too much of a time sink. Furthermore, the balanced dagger isn't a very helpful item to have for your shop pool in hard gaan-telet. Goblin Assassin would be my go-to choice if I were to bee-line for any content.

To unlock Gaan-Telet, you need to get one of every trophy. The tricky ones are the following:

* Changeling Essence - must beat Shifting Passages
* Animated Helm - must beat Hall of Steel
* Naga Tail - must beat Ick Swamp
* Nose Ring - must beat Labyrinth
* Dragon Scale - must beat Cursed Oasis or unlock Paladin and scum for Firstborn
* Bandit Scalp - must beat Berserker Camp or unlock Assassin and scum for Tomithy

All the other trophies should be collected (or easily collectable) in due course throughout the game. I'd be inclined to just ignore the challenge dungeons entirely. For purist Gaan-Telet, I'd probably be inclined to play dwarf rogue and rapid-fire scum until I find GG on the first floor to begin early worship.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:53 pm

Is it doable without vicious rewards, high end potions or quest challenge rewards? Speedrunning dungeons I mean? Because I know Avatar was big on Namtars Ward, I'm big on Fabulous Tresaure and so forth...
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Slow and steady is a better approach here. Instead of aiming for 1-2 minute playtime, you should instead aim for a high success rate to avoid having to make multiple attempts. A Goblin Assassin or Dwarf Rogue with a fine sword preparation, and maybe a blacksmith item or booster prep if you really feel you need to push it, should reliably beat almost any hard-difficulty dungeon in the hands of a veteran.

The big question I'm wondering is whether it's worthwhile to complete the Bazaar and Complicated Task quests to improve your shop pool.

EDIT
Just did a run-down of every trophy to make sure I wasn't missing any:

Never Appears Randomly
De-Animated Helm - Hall of Steel
Changeling Essence - shifting passages
Nose Ring - Labyrinth
Naga Tail - ick swamp
Vampire Fangs - eastern tundra
Druid Stick - western jungle

Preset and Random
Gooey Mess - Northern Desert, Slime Pits / unlock Warlord
Bandit Scalp - Berserker Camp / unlock Assassin
Dragon Scale - Cursed Oasis / unlock Paladin
Golem Rock - Rock Garden / unlock Bloodmage
Wraith Cowl - Creeplight Ruins / unlock Berserker
Serpent Fang - Southern Swamp / unlock Monk
Gorgon Head - Hexx Ruins / unlock Rogue
Zombie Brain - Havensdale Bridge / no unlock
Warlock Beard - Northern Desert / no unlock
Goblin Bone - Magma Mines / no unlock
Meatloaf - Slime Bit / no unlock

Only Appears Randomly
Goat Horn - tutorials / unlock Sorcerer

Goat Horn, Wraith Cowl, Serpent Fang, Vampire Fangs and Druid Stick are actually impossible to avoid, since they appear on single-boss gateway dungeons. Meatloaf and Goblin Bone should appear randomly fairly early due to not requiring class unlocks. Warlock Beard, Gooey Mess, Golem Rock, and Zombie Brain should all be fairly easy to grab from their preset locations, so long as you make sure to leave the appropriate trophy on the ground.

That leaves the 4 sub-vicious dungeons, the Bandit Scalp, and the Dragon Scale as the only notable outliers.
Last edited by Darvin on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Yeah, complicated tasks require unlocks but really up your boss killing power substantially. The bazaar would let you potentially locker yendor, and doing both gives acess to the supremely retarded zot+whoopaz if you can locker zot. Don't know if that's legit though, I'd nerf it before you can blink (in a sensible way, ofc).

And slow and steady (comparatively) is probably a better option. Trying to rush through so much in a row is bound to result in missclicks.
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 pm

Actually, Zot + WHUPAZ isn't a very hot combo for our purposes. The real items you're looking to unlock are stuff like the Elven Boots and the Schadenfreude Potion. Remember that the biggest time-sink is going to be purist Gaan-Telet, so any combo that doesn't work purist (Zot almost never appears in the shop pool naturally, so you must either prep it or prep the elite shop pool, while WHUPAZ is only available as a prep) isn't worth spending time unlocking.

For class challenges, the only ones I'd even consider are Rogue Silver (gloves of midas) and Sorcerer Silver (blue bead). Even then I'm mindful of the amount of extra time that would entail.
Darvin

Postby Wargasm on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:05 pm

Y'know, I'm not sure I've ever seen this "fabulous treasure" I keep hearing about and it's not on the Wiki. Sounds like something I picked up once though and haven't seen again.
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Do the thief gold challenge and the boss drops it. Locker it. Figure it out. Go mad with power!
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons