[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Order of effects in combat

Order of effects in combat

All things Desktop Dungeons

Order of effects in combat

Postby OneMoreNameless on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Has anybody ever put together a complete listing of what order the various damage calculations and special abilities are applied when engaging in combat with an enemy? I ask this because I just started playing around with my shiny new Avatar's Codex and it weirded me out that a sorcerer's Essence Transmit (every mana point spent regenerates 2 health) apparently occurs not upon casting, but after the enemy has had a chance to retaliate. This actually works in your favour when attacking from full health, and now I'm wonder what other odd interactions I might have missed so far.
OneMoreNameless

Re: Order of effects in combat

Postby Naoya on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:33 am

FS Enemy -> FS Player->Enemy->Player->Slowed Monster-> Slowed Player
Slow on Enemys overrides First strike, Player First strike and slow cancel each other out (afaik)

Burning gets triggered immediately after a Player attack, not sure how it works with Mageshield though.
Player Knockback occurs after getting hit by an enemy, even if you're dead (but not on Retaliate:Fireball).
The exception to this is the Reflex Potion; it will trigger on Retaliate:Fireball, and will also trigger Knockback.
Enemy Knockback occurs after the enemy's attack.
BURNDAYRAZ comes before Retaliate Fireball, even if the enemys have First Strike.
Lifesteal gets applied after the player attack.
Poison/Burning strike (presumably) get applied after Player attack.
Damage Resistance/reduction get applied before the enemy attack.
Cowardly enemys flee after each hit they take, including Reflex Potion
Blinking occurs if a enemy takes damage.
Knockback prevents (enemy) blinking. Don't think it works on patches, though I don't know.
% Attack bonuses like the Human conversion bonus or class traits (including might) come after Spiritsword.
DP comes after Enemy Attack.
The Warlords damage bonus applies once his health fall under 50%; so first striking an enemy from full health can actually result in dealing less damage than you'd do otherwise.
Similarly, a lifestealing vampire will use lifesteal first if he has First strike, allowing you to survive hits that would kill you.

Those are all the interactions that I know of.
Naoya

Postby Dreamdancer on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:11 am

Pissorf'ing a monster into another monster results in sligthly less then 50% damage. Don't remember which was the exact case, but i think if the damage would be an even number it gets rounded down to the next odd number.

Gorgon has a funny interaction with being slowed due to the death gaze. If the death gaze would kill the monster it overrides being slowed and you kill the monster without that it attacks you. This worked at the end of the better, but i would think this still works.

Damage reduction gets applied before resistance. Other way around would be better for the player and in DD the player never gets favoured ;)
Dreamdancer

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:13 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Dreamdancer on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:51 pm

Reflex pot + knockback was quite naturally foor me, i mean you hit the monster two times -> two times knockback.
Dreamdancer

Postby OneMoreNameless on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:19 pm

The first time I used knockback and reflex together, I was worried that the second hit wouldn't even go through because the enemy should now logically be out of my reach. >_<
OneMoreNameless

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Return to Desktop Dungeons