[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 pm

Definitely. Monk and Gorgon are really annoying to play for me. I usually just prep the Codex with them.

I never play PQIs: I always forget which badge I was supposed to get mid-run, if not right away.
Yeah, my PQIs are now on Vicious, but the Flaming Dungeon is still a Hard one.
AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Burning dungeon will always stay Hard, I believe. PQIs are intended to be a way to help you rainbow the game, whereas the burning dungeon is just a way to get money quickly.

As for Monk and Gorgon, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you learn how to actually play them properly. Monk is one of the strongest classes in the game, and Gorgon is one of the most fun (at least for me). If you can figure out how to manage blackspace properly (which is a good habit for other classes, anyway) you will be surprised at how easily you are able to crush even "bad" dungeons like Vicious Steel and Dragon Isles.
shade_of_ox

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:54 am

Congrats on the hard rainbow!

Monk is definitely the singlemost strongest class imo (apart from punchomancer / Gob Ass TT / infinimuter), where the dungeon is hard enough that big hit strikers such as Rogue or Warlord are too weak to slay the mobs. Seems like you don't play regen-fighters very much, but you really should try it.
choongmyoung

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:48 pm

Last edited by AvovA17 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:59 pm

AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:42 pm

By the way, I looked at the first 3 monk videos briefly on the eastless channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ-KSh ... query=monk

They are all codex runs.
AvovA17

Postby srid on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:55 pm

We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:53 pm

Yes, Monk is very strong for Codex since it lets him bypass his major weakness. However, I think normal Monk is also very strong, if a bit finicky to play (and Gorgon and Rat play in a similar style and can't rely on Codex as much, so it's good to learn it anyway). A "normal" Monk really shines when you don't have much blackspace available, so Naga City and VGT are great for him.

It's true that finding BURNDAYRAZ late hurts a lot, and so does finding the boss very late - there's not much that can be done about that, since Monk is dead once he's out of blackspace. That's why he's so strong in dungeons with fixed boss locations such as NC and VGT.

To Srid's comment, I definitely disagree that Monk benefits from max HP. Orc is almost always the best choice for Monk unless you're doing a Codex run. Monk's entire focus is on regen fighting, which gains nothing from a high max HP. He is right that resists are very strong for Monk.

I'll make a little guide to Monk below. Maybe I'll make a video of how to play a non-Codex monk, as well.
shade_of_ox

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 am

Honestly, I think Monk will have huge problems on Vicious maps without using any of {Codex, APHEELSIK, Martyr wraps}. If there is a video showing that it is an easy win with the right strat, I would love to watch it.
(Can a Monk even do Vicious+VT without those items?)

Otherwise it looks too dependent on having good items to be a strong class, or to be one of the strongest.
AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:18 am

https://youtu.be/7vJU8lIlzgs
Sure, here you go. Excuse the pauses, I was in the middle of a phone call while playing. :lol:

As you can see, I have plenty of resources left over up top, am decently leveled going down (halfway through 9, and level catapults aren't important for this character), and have plenty of blackspace left over after each wave. Also, I made a big mistake by taking all of Taurog's gears, I wanted to get a mana boost somehow but there wasn't one in the shops. This rendered Schadenfreude and mana potions worthless so I had to do some trickery with GG.
Here's the victory screen: http://prntscr.com/ltc1xy

By the way, Monk is one of the only classes that VGT with Vicious Token has been completed with, the others being Paladin and Vampire, I believe.
shade_of_ox

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons