General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby AvovA17 on Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:13 am

Not really a brag, but I dunno which topic to put this into:

Dragon Isles, Human Fighter.
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 85434CFD6/

I picked up WONAFYT, ENDISWAL, and IAMAWAL right away. Since I had no slots left, I had to steal and immediately convert Whurrgarbl. Converted Troll Heart too. Picked up GETINDARE. While in EM I got a bunch of Vine Forms and a few Greenloods. Somehow I was able to roll through the map without BURNDAYRAZ. I converted GETINDARE so that I could pick up BURDAYRAZ to fight Firstborn, but in reality I could have won without it.

Weird, huh. I did not think it could be so easy to win a vicious dungeon without fireballs or pisorf. No HALPMEH as well.
AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Alright, first Vicious rainbowed: Dragon Isles. That was waaaaay easier than I thought.
The only ones I had to play more than once were rat(2), goat(a few attempts, not too many), and a couple of deaths due to retaliate:fireball.

I guess only Naga City/VGT are actually hard to rainbow.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 58EBC92C6/

Last two were Halfling Priest:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 5D97D43B8/
(just rolled through like butter)
and

Halfling Tinker
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 06FB0D758/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 3CDD609C0/

Tinker was harder. Shop items were just meh, glyphs were meh. I had to fight most of the guards, gods were GG, TT, Dracul, and I joined GG at L7 only (dumb, I know). Somehow I was able to use GG to kill some of the guards, then converted all the shop items and some potions (Halfling = infinite potions, pretty much), then switched to Dracul. Even though he kept deducting piety for using HALPMEH and for drinking potions, I still pulled off a win at the end with some resources to spare.

PS: I think I stumbled upon a DI layout without a secret sub:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 869A5CF24/
AvovA17

Postby Spleen on Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:16 am

Hadn't played DD in like 6 months so I was worried I'd lost the bill-payin' skillz.

Took me a whole 18 mins to beat Den of Danger :?
https://i.imgur.com/oGhFqAJ.jpg
Spleen

Postby uugr3 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 pm

So I saw somewhere that someone attempted a low-unlock run a while ago. If I remember correctly, it was unfinished and unlocked some things that weren't strictly necessary, but I liked the idea so I decided to do a bit of a different type of self-imposed challenge to what people normally tend to do in this game.

I give you, the EXTREME no-unlock run:

So, I cleared the entire game with only the following unlocks:

- Lv. 2 of each of the class buildings
- Lv. 0 Bezar (bought the Gate Scroll but didn't upgrade Bezar, got Bargain items and nothing else - this isn't necessary but I figured it wasn't worth restarting to get rid of)
...plus the few subdungeon items I could scrounge up for my 3 locker spaces.

This means every run needed to be Faithless, mostly-Miser, Human-only, and mostly-Purist (the only really useful preps I got were from Mage Tower, which I made sure to upgrade last and only use sparingly). In addition, whenever it wasn't necessary (i.e. any dungeon whose completion requirement didn't include a non-fighter), I went with Human Fighter for maximum simplicity. I also didn't get any of the advanced glyphs or bosses, and I needed to beat Cursed Oasis and Berserker Camp to unlock Gaan-Telet.

This was pretty tough! I'm not quite as pro as some people here, but it made me really use my glyphs in a way I wasn't used to - especially glyphs I usually ignore like BYSSEPS or WEYTWUT. Bargain items were interesting, too. I was surprised that I was able to take out Gaan-Telet in only 2 tries, really - I was worried Human Fighter with no gods, preps, or decent items would be nigh-impossible, but I was lucky enough to get early WONAFYT and Bargain Heart.

This was the only dungeon I couldn't beat as Human Fighter. Shades, Armors, and Thralls only made this Cursed Oasis run very... interesting. It's practically impossible to fight anything higher-level than you as Fighter past level 5 or so, and blackspace is suuuper limited. I decided to go a bit outside of the norm here and prepped Pepper as Priest, mainly cause it's such a funny strategy and I never get to use it normally. Magma Mines and Labyrinth were also tricky, but Human Fighter was able to take them both out with minimal struggling.

After that finished, I decided to do all the other non-Vicious quests under similar rules. I did get Elf to do Unlikely Heroes and Bezar level 1 to unlock the Bank (plus all the level 3 class buildings, obviously), but these were all still Faithless and with a low-level item selection. This run was the hardest, I think - I hate Shifting Passages when you don't have ENDISWAL. Now everything that isn't Vicious is done except Berserker Labyrinth (tried it, don't think it's possible without at least one god) and the later Unlikely Heroes quests (which just seem boring).

So there you have it! I really enjoyed this sort of large-scale self imposed challenge, and I'm sure someone better at the game than I am could take it to Vicious. If anyone has any other ideas for full-game challenges with this one, I'd like to try them!
uugr3

Postby shade_of_ox on Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:56 pm

Have you considered speedrunning the entire game? Seems like it could be interesting, and really not as luck-based as you might think, considering how consistently people can beat, say, the dailies.
shade_of_ox

Postby Spleen on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:06 am

Yeah, the only big points of luck in the any% speedrun are when you get invited to Ick Swamp, and how long it takes to find the Meat trophy in the random pool (because Slime Pit is slow slow slow - In my route, there's also a tiny chance to find Tomithy, and a decent one to snag a Goblin bone. Also it's cool to find Dwarven Gauntlets / Pravesh.) - you can go pretty quickly relying only on the base item set, EM, and L+1 kills!

(Did an all quest run once, and it took 9h. Could be done in 7 because i think quests record who you beat a level with even before they pop up? Bloody long, either way. Any% is better)
Spleen

Postby uugr3 on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:13 am

Yeah, I've seen some speedrun videos on speedrun.com. It looks really neat but I don't know if I'm really capable of playing that fast, especially not for over an hour at a time.
uugr3

Postby Spleen on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 am

Today, I finished rainbowing the kingdom. It would have gone a lot faster if I didn't insist on going Purist whenever possible, and some other things. Today, I beat Goat and Rat VGT, and the third Triple Quest.

I think, other than VT/purist in VGT, I've actually done everything there is to do.
All the various meme builds, all the Dracul Halflings and Dwarf Priests, the silly stuff from Monk in Cursed Oasis to the Naga Cauldron sorcerer Thief in NC.
Everything looted and destroyed, everything conquered.
Except the Bank money sink, which'll live forever.

Guess it's time to start actually playing the mod, eh?
Spleen

Postby AvovA17 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:12 am

Congratz! :)
AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:26 am

Hey, nice one! I wonder if there's a list of people who have actually accomplished this somewhere.
shade_of_ox

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons