[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby TheSchachter on Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:28 am

Lujo, I'd love to see you make a thread about Halflings. I'd say they're the race that I feel the most unsure about, not necessarily because I feel they're underpowered, but rather because I'm never quite sure how to use them (well, except for the hilariously fun JJ Halfling Bloodmage, the Cauldron Priest and the GG&Dracul Piety Factory, but I know there's more to them than that)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Way to go Tapir - just mix it up whenever it gets repetitive ^^

Every halfling build is a troll build XD And I'd have to dig up an old PM to Astral. Back when he first joined we used to talk crazy strats via PM (I wanted to reduce my spam rate and we didn't want to get anything nerfed XD). He asked me about halflings and I went off. Then he went and made a crazy infinimuter using halflings... somehow. Ah, what the heck, lemme just find that PM.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:35 pm

I got my first Vicious-Vicious victory today, on Naga City. I forgot to make a screenshot, so here's the basics:

Gnome Sorcerer
Preparations: Compression Seal; Mystera; Crystal Ball; Bear Mace; Whuppaz/Mana Potion/Schadenfreude/Burn Salve; Quest Items; Mana Boosters; more gold; plus the Vicious Token.

This victory was actually partially sponsored by Lujo, if he hadn't been praising the Goblin Sorcerer, I never would have experimented so much with the Gnome Sorcerer... :)
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:14 pm

^^ Way to go!

I'm actually impressed by mana boosters there, I ussually go either magnet fireball or more glyphs. And see - discussions and textwalls and occasionally throwing big words around leads to all sorts of cool stuff And if nothing even comes out of all this debating and all that, you still got the VT win on NC, that's something :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby lieronet on Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:12 pm

Just cleared Naga City as an Elf Transmuter. It's been a good long while since I've run through that place, and I've never done it without using cheese classes (Monk, Pally, Rogue), so this was a pretty big win for me. My strategy was to prep Taurog, then ignore him until I start cleaning up the first floor so as not to hemorrhage piety. Lucked into Good Glenrick and Saint Solitude as my subdungeons (which saved my run IMO), then slowly and painstakingly cleared the top floor. Forgot how hard the place was, but I think I bricked on good glyphs for my strategy. Once I was ready to clean up, I converted to Taurog, bought his armors, then immediately converted to Drac, grabbed his boons, then Concensus'd to convert into Mystera. Potioned my way through the bosses, then converted back to Drac for the last boss. Wound up not needing it, but I had the piety for two Bloodswells by the end.

Not prepping Apothecary was a mistake, as an extra Schadenfreude would have gone a long way. Overall though, run went pretty well, and I definitely respect the power of Transmuters a bit more.
lieronet

Postby sitnaltax on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:14 pm

I recently cleared Vicious Naga City, and must have felt some subconscious desire to take as different a path from Tinker as possible:

Orc Paladin
Preparations: Compression Seal; Binlor; Dragon Shield; Perseverance Badge; Whupaz/Dodge/Reflex/Schadenfreude; Quest Items; Attack Boosters; Black Market.

I think VT Naga City has two big challenges. The first is generally the enormous number of resources in general that it requires. (It's funny that the warlock boss, for this character, is actually the easiest.) The second is specifically the incredible number of fireballs that the Tower of Goo demands. Using Midas Gloves, I got a Keg o' Mana, Crystal Ball, and second Schadenfreude topside. That was enough... barely.

Then I finally exhausted my potions and blackspace while fighting the very last boss, SMM. I ended up desecrating Dracul for piety (!) so I could take Stone Skin and Stone Heart boons to reveal more blackspace to finish it off!
sitnaltax

Postby Kami on Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:20 pm

I would went with the human pally of gg
The cleansing is soooo good for that dungeon.
Kami

Postby Tinker on Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:01 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby sitnaltax on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:34 am

sitnaltax

Postby sitnaltax on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:22 am

Wooo! Finished VT Namtar's Lair. This one was a pretty standard Binlor Orc Crusader. A Binlorcrusader, if you will. Had two pieces of good luck. One was a Pactmaker altar, which helped me get my resists to like 40%/65% (with the Dragon Shield). The second was that the secret subdungeon was the "eight popcorn monsters" one, which is usually my least favorite, but works great with the Crusader. With those resists and Binlor's lust for crushing walls, I actually regen fought the first form, and by blowing all my popcorn into Momentum I managed to take only two hits from the corrosive second form. I descended with two Schadenfreude Potions, a Dodge Potion, a charged Crystal Ball, and a couple health potions, and didn't have much trouble in the underworld.

Last Vicious Vicious stop: Vicious Dragon Isles. This one has been stymieing me for a while because it screams "magic resistance" and yet Binlor struggles in the wall-poor layout.
sitnaltax

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons