[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby AvovA17 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:09 pm

I am at work right now, so I cannot try and reproduce it.

I played Grimm's Grotto this morning with a Half-Dragon (a few classes are missing before it is rainbowed).
I saw Whurrgarbl in the shops, so I bought it (I did not prep Avatar's codex though) since I remembered the
discussion with srid, and I wanted to try it.

I was carefully monitoring the burning stacks, since I wanted to see how it worked.

There was a monster with MAX burning stacks.

I attacked it in melee. Burning stacks reset to 1.

by the way, I had no mace, but i am not sure if I had Binlor's knockback or not. I do not remember if I knocked the monster into a block, empty space, or another monster.
AvovA17

Postby srid on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 pm

This is perfectly normal:

You didn't have a mace nor Binlor knockback, but you did have a Half-Dragon, which has built-in knockback.
When you deal knockback damage, it pops the burning stack.

If you want to try Whurrgarbl, you should try with a Monk or a Gorgon instead (and no Binlor).

By the way, despite what I said, I'm not a huge fan of it and I remember that I bought it one time and was really disappointed, on the other hand, I also bought it on a Codex run once and was quite happy. I don't play regen fighters much either, but they should be the ones able to get most benefits from it, and also maybe spellswords builds like a Dwarf Sorcerer (maybe).

@choongmyoung I saw you said that you put it in your return locker for VGT, which makes sense. Do you use it elsewhere?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby choongmyoung on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:16 am

I'm not a huge fan of Whurrgabl, and I prefer a Venom Dagger (which is also one of the most disliked items) over it. I don't think the item is weak, however. I just veto it most of the time.
choongmyoung

Postby shade_of_ox on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:15 am

All dungeons rainbowed!

That last run (VGT rat, of course) really came down to the wire - I got tower 9 dragon elite and barely had enough monsters left on the surface to wipe my curses before H. VGT rat is really an incredibly technical run - it's unlike anything else I've played in the game.

Now all I have left to do is The Portal Perilous and it's time to move on to the mod! :)
shade_of_ox

Postby Nurator on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:38 am

Congratulations! The mod is REALLY good, but dont think it will be easy :D
Nurator

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:30 pm

AvovA17

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:45 am

choongmyoung

Postby thzfunnymzn on Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:55 pm

Purist VT Vicious win. Halfling Berserker in Vicious Halls of Steel.

Imagehttps://imgur.com/a/aTmTXly
(img tag didn't seem to be working on Preview Post, I'm probably doing something wrong) [You need to reference the actual image file - ADMIN]

Tried three times. First time failed because of awful luck with altars (early TT), second time failed because of awful luck with higher level foes (Cursed Golems, Naga jerks).

Third time got good luck with higher level foes (Wraiths), as well as an early Taurog altar. Most glyphs came late, plus I did use them a decent bit, so I guess Halfling worked better than Orc for this particular attempt.

Oh, I got Dragon Isles to Gold (just missing Rat Monarch and Goatperson), so I guess that's pretty decent too. Still ain't nowhere near as good as choongmyoung or shade_of_ox or other old vets yet. The Library is still giving me trouble (I clear it consistently, but I don't have a VT gameplan aside from cheesing it with Paladin or copying choongmyoung's VT fireball strats. My Punchomancer failed, and Crusader is proving surprisingly difficult enough under normal or Purist conditions).
thzfunnymzn

Postby choongmyoung on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:50 am

Wonderful job! Looks like zayyeh is pretty good on munching Count Blahblah.

I didn't even think double VT Purist would be possible. I really think you're better than me, seeing that result screen.
choongmyoung

Postby shade_of_ox on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:40 am

I wouldn't exactly consider myself an old vet - I only picked this game up about a year ago. ;)
Nice job on the run! Always nice to see a run like that work out with a Halfling, I'm not very good at that race...
shade_of_ox

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons