[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby Tinker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Brag-brag, Demonic Library finally goated:

My favorite divine preparations for the Goatperson are Dracul and Mystera. Both are (relatively) forgiving, offer decent permanent boosts, function as a decent Piety farm, and also help with restoration (via Sanguine/Refreshment). Normally I go with Dracul if I do the Wargoat (TM) angle, and go with Mystera if I go with the Spellgoat (TM) angle. Given the Avatar's (and some of the Demon Lords') stats, I went Wargoat for the Library, however I failed three times (twice ran out of rations, third time I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory as I made several horrible mistakes). So I decided, I'll give Dracul one last chance, before doing a try with Mystera. Seems like four's the lucky charm...

The run was pretty smooth. I had awesome altar draw in the form of Mystera and GG accompanying my prepared Dracul, awesome glyph luck in the form of WEYTWUT / WONAFYT / BYSSEPS / PISORF accompanying my magneted BURNDAYRAZ, and great shop draw as I found Yendor and Badge of Honor (I'm glad I put the latter back in circulation, one free hit / misclick protection is well worth the 18 gold). I would have preferred the Pactmaker or Taurog instead of GG but I'm not complaining, I made good use of him as well. It felt awesome to take Humility and then immediately pop Yendor, instant +5 Damage / +13 Health :) I was mostly using PoS (TM) (PISORF Spam) on a pair of demon lords, mostly to bypass retaliate:fireball, ignore the resistances and escape the status afflictions dealt by the nastier guys. I really enjoyed juggling the deities: killing undead and high-level monsters under GG/Mystera, killing low-level non-undead under Dracul, and making sure the Magic Users all die when Mystera is not paying attention. Worked like a charm, Piety kept coming in, and I picked up several great boons like 2x Magic, Blood Shield and 2x Blood Tithe, Humility, Cleansing and Protection. I had potions & resources left in the end. Fun, fun game, too bad Goat's life depends on the RNG more than anything.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Tinker on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:41 pm

I had the braggiest run today: Gnome Crusader on DL: http://i.imgur.com/XUyFONk.png

Now, a bucket with a visor never looked as good as the one that has a white beard emanating from under it. But Gnome Crusader goes a bit against the norm, I checked the wiki and it lists Orc / Halfling / Goblin as recommended races. Well I challenge any of those races to have such a game as I did.

There are *tons* of synergies between Gnome and Crusader. I don't even know where to start. For starters, take patches: normally you're like "meh", when you get +1 Mana. Well, Pathes was a big contributor to my 28 Mana pool, which meant 11 Mana per potion, imagine the delight ... :) I went GG, but "Martyr" served me right, because I had 3 extra altars, and I could choose to ignore one (Taurog), desecrate another (Earthmother), and convert into the third (Binlor Ironshield). Oh my this is synergy (TM)! I was also very happy that I could ignore Mesostel Pa's Mana Burn and Curse, making one of the most dreaded Demon Lords easy pickings. And I really enjoyed the stellar synergy of being a true hybrid! I prepped GG just for hilarity. I could prepare extra Mana because I didn't need to rely on attack boosters (Momentum takes care of that angle), nor extra health (Humility has that covered). I didn't need Fireball Magnet because I didn't need fireball. I killed everything with a WONAFYT. Nuff said. Then again, I went for the Dragon Shield angle, to make sure I'm also presentable in melee. Well, I was. I killed Perivolcan Ze (MR/corrosion guy) with melee. I killed Perivolcan Pa (PR / weakening guy) with fireballs. I killed the other three demon lords simultaneously - melee-ing Mesostel Ze (retaliate:fireball guy) while fireballing Aphelion (first strike/poison guy) and melee-ing / fireballing Mesostel Pa (curses / mana burn (lol) guy). I did a bit of over-exploration early on - no problem, quaff a few Mana potions and you have a couple of dead Demon Lords. Avatar has resists - no problem, strip it first then Melee / HALPMEH the guy to death. This *must* go on the wiki, it's way better than any Orc build!
Tinker

Postby Astral on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:50 pm

Pretty nice runs!
Good to see you got creative with your race too!
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:37 am

BIG congrats (on both really!), but I have to say that I'm not only impressed by the Gnome Run and all the creativity in it, but also very glad that there's a report like that. Especially about the Crusader - prep an altar and have 3 more in there? He's the king of never having a clue wher you'll end up with! Add the gnomish flexibility, and you get what you get :)

And it's also a great example of why I'm saying that classess should have their abilities explained and simply have all the little raceial icons as links in the Races part which link to separate pages, because there's stuff like that all over the place. And what's the best thing about it is that another Gnome Crusader run would be completely different, but if Gnome Crusader had a pagelet of it's own the author could clue people in on what to look for in a run, which then gives incentive to try different stuff :) I can't possibly put "Dwarf Sorcerer" or "Elf Priest" or "Gnome Priest" anywhere as "recommended" - but I can sure as hell put up a few tips about playing the combo if the combo had it's own (small) page ^^ No way for a wiki war, but opens up way more runs to people to try and experiment with... and find stuff like that!
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:05 am

Tinker

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:26 am

Ahahahahha XD

That's what I'm talking about :) Wiki's no place for racism, clueing people into how all this stuff is playable and how the unlikely looking stuff can work out impossibly well is the way to go.

Btw, that a prepped Codex or not? Because Codex Priests rock socks ^^ Reason I tend to do that particular thing with Halflings is because EM sinergizes with the Codex due to entanglement and covers the mana part, so what you're looking for in that combo is health refills, otherwise yeah. Dat Screenshot!

Also - thanks for the TT thing, I was trying to remember how exactly that works today and couldn't :)

Btw, holy Hesus that's some health pool you've got there. Troll Heart always been underrated IMO.
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:10 pm

Tinker

Postby Tinker on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Dear Diary,

Today I defeated the dreaded lich Namtar. I pledged to do so in the ancient way, without relying on the fancy glyph-based magicks of the new generations. I enlisted the help of a "whurgarbl-o-mancer", an Orcish sage following the ancient traditions, whose magical prowess is extremely physical in nature. The whurgarbl-o-mancer follows an ancient form of martial art, and relies on a holy relic of acidic properties to defeat its foes.

Perhaps my enamourment with the shiny glyph-thingies dulled my instincts, and made this challenge a bit more challenging than it should have been. Nevertheless, on the second try (plus further three unsuccessful tries with the Taurog Half-Dragon), I managed to accomplish this feat:

It warms my heart greatly, because there is only one last challenge of this limiting nature that stands between my army of Gnomes ransacking the place... 8-)
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm actually pretty proud of this one. The reason I'd love the Dagger tweaked is that it flat out makes things possible (like playing screwy things on tight maps), but it's layed out like an optional trinket instead of a hardcore engine of doom it is. I'd love it making me pay an opportuinity cost for having it in my inventory, but still have the effect around so I could do positively epic things like this.

Venom Dager, late game Binlor Swap for dmg and Res Removal (also map decloging, was a huge deal) had a lot to do with it, but the dagger kinda made it even get off the ground at all. And it gets this off the ground, you can imagine what it does to any more sinergistic build in a less tight map.
Lujo

Postby TheSchachter on Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:49 am

Okay, so at this point I think every one else and their dog has managed this, but I finally got around to tackling VT Vicious dungeons and had a nice, smooth victory in VT Naga City on my first try using Waldo0's good old Binlor Paladin:

I think the image already says quite a lot on how lucky the draw was. Boss-wise, I was able to knockback Jörmungandr and Aequitas into Tormented One, Frank and Meatman into Tomithy, and Iron Man and Gobb into Goo (who nevertheless had quite a lot of leftover health to work through). I think going into the arena at level 8-into-9 was the right choice, since at 9 with max magic resists and 53% physical resists I could regenfight every boss (except those I killed via indirect knockback). The biggest deal, overal, was not having to touch Tomithy even once, thanks to the two huge punchbags he spawned with. Otherwise, even though I had converted ENDISWAL and PISORF before descending to the Arena, I used Consensus and an EM desecration to buy some Stone Hearts so I could open up large amounts of blackspace (and activate Stone Form) when I needed it.

Funny enough, it was finally succeeding with the Vampire in Naga City that made me want to try the VT version... but honestly, I thought the Vampire run was significantly harder. Of course, there are few things which compare favourably with the Binlor Paladin... (Well, the Vampire arguably does... just not in Naga City or VHoS!)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons