[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby sitnaltax on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:01 am

sitnaltax

Postby caviar on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:06 am

caviar

Postby sitnaltax on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:20 am

sitnaltax

Postby Astral on Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:13 am

Wow you're so close to finishing VGT, amazing caviar! And nice job winning with the Gorgon and also working into the strat a GG worship :)
Out of curiosity, how far did you stack up your death gaze?

I'm slowly finishing the classes in VGT too, in between grabbing badges. I had really bad luck with purist, and when I switched to completing classes my first run ended like this:
http://postimg.org/image/ao4kftd5l/

Warmonger isn't as hard as I previously thought.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby caviar on Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am

caviar

Postby Astral on Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Yeah and the gameplay felt unique too :)
Blackspace wise it was really inefficient playing a dwarf, but judging by my remaining bloodpools it was overkill.
My sanguine went up to 50% as well. It was fun on a 260 HP full resist dwarf. Horatio's hits barely tickled me.
Astral

Postby The Tapir on Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:32 pm

Aside from the PQI flag hopping around from dungeon to dungeon, I have finally completed all of the quests present on the world map, with today being the end of the dwarven quests in the Rock Garden and the Cursed Oasis. Now I can fully dedicate myself to the task of 100%ing the rest of the dungeons. Havendale, Grimm's, and Hexx are all nearing completion, mostly missing goatperson or VT wins. As for the rest (vicious not included), they are now rocking fancy silver borders around them thanks to PQI and flaming dungeons. The real challenges at this point are getting more wins on all vicious dungeons and the infamous triple quests.
The Tapir

Postby The Tapir on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 pm

And as an aside, I was challenged recently to run a Gorgon through NC. Topside wasn't too harsh, but only was able to get through 1 wave due to combo of Frank and Tower of Goo being huge resource drains. Any ideas? I worshipped Binlor for much of the dungeon, hoping to get magic resist for Aequitas and Tormented One as well as piety for stone skins and knockback, but knockback didn't seem to be doing much even against the fleshier bosses, and the low damage of the gorgon seemed to exacerbate the problem. Similarly, a half-dragon attempt got a bit further than the gorgon but ran out of steam midway through the 2nd wave. Suggestions for either of those two runs would be greatly appreciated.
The Tapir

Postby Astral on Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:05 am

What was the level of your Gorgon when you descended? The closer you are to level 10 the easier regenfighting becomes. If you saved your manapotions, you should be able to fireball Goo to the point where you can ignore his resistance.
Frank is the worst opponent, you'll need a ding and some creativity to deal with it. If you build your character well, the rest of the bosses shouldn't be problematic.
There's luck to it too. Such a bad 1st wave really hurts.If you score a Halpme next time everything will be a lot easier.

I did the Half-dragon a long time ago, the only thing I remember is that I prepped Binlor :P
Astral

Postby Tinker on Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:37 am

Finally rainbowed Naga City:

I went straight caster (a.k.a. the "Gnome Sorcerer of Mystera With Horns"), prepped Mage Plate and got a lucky Dragon Soul, which - combined with a rather perfect Glyph draw including PISORF and BLUDTUPOWA - was sufficient to plow through the bottom part. I had no food issue thanks to the Monster Den secret sub (benefit #2 of PISORF was that I could access it).

The key to success was that I finally learned how to manage the conversions properly - to fully leverage the restores, alternating between converting glyphs without reaching the threshold, and then converting something else to reach it. The best way to descend is just shy of the conversion threshold, with all glyphs in inventory (hence the compression seal); so popping some food gets the first full restore, and then the first glyph will almost reach the next. Health Potions are useless, the ones found topside should be used up for bonus XP, and the gauntlet's Keg of Health is perfect conversion fodder. The Amulet of Yendor is also best used as conversion fodder, it nets 100 cp and the XP bonus is nigh meaningless for the goat.

This strategy has some moving parts, i.e. it requires some boost, in the form of finding Crystal Ball (best) / Battlemage Ring (good) or Dragon Soul (so-so), but prepping Quest Items means that most of the time something useful will spawn. I chose to prep the Mage Plate over the Crystal Ball for the early-mid game mana bonus, which is arguably suboptimal versus other items, however it's still a little bonus that helps round up Mana to 18 or 20, and the Mage Plate itself is top notch for the late game.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons