[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:18 pm

AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:24 pm

Congrats on the win! The wiki is wrong. Like TT, angering Mystera causes all monsters to have those resists, including those on future floors.

Platemail was helpful, but by no means really necessary. it saved me a couple of resources, but I'm not even sure if all that popcorn was necessary.

I look forward to seeing how you tackle Monk, since that's not really an easy run either.
shade_of_ox

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:39 pm

AvovA17

Postby Unidentified Tower on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Recently finished rainbowing all Normal/Hard dungeons! Regular Gaan-Telet was actually a lot easier than I expected, I even got Goatperson, Rat Monarch, and Warmonger wins on my first tries when I was expecting those to take a ton of attempts.

Now that there's only Vicious dungeons left I've decided to start with Vicious Steel since it's the easiest, and I seem to have stumbled onto a way to win with almost every class using the same strategy. Each run regardless of class I play a Gnome and prep Avatar's Codex, Mystera, Flame Magnet, Shield, and Quest Items, farm piety up to Mystic Balance at level 1, buy Flames when I can, don't care about getting Weakened, and never throw a single punch except to pop a Death Protection (or apply Can of Whupaz). When I'm out of health resources at the end mid-boss fight but still have mana resources from Gnome and Refreshment, I convert the Avatar's Codex.

For example, this got me a win on my first try as Warlord without ever using any of Warlord's class abilities except "you start with CYDSTEPP" (and even then it only popped a couple times the whole run) and despite needing to fight the Indomitable "fairly" since none of the shops gave me the all-important Platemail.

I doubt this will work so well for Vampire, Rat Monarch, Vicious Token, etc, but as someone who still hasn't actually won Namtar's Lair even once, it feels crazy being able to "mass produce" Vicious wins like this.
Unidentified Tower

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Nice! I think you'll find that once you actually start trying the other Vicious, they aren't that different from Hard in terms of difficulty. The main thing is that the dungeons are a bit more complex, so you need to account for a bit more, but you also get more resources to compensate.

Have you tried out Binlor in Vicious Steel? You might be surprised at how trivial that dungeon becomes with him.
shade_of_ox

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:23 pm

AvovA17

Postby Unidentified Tower on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Unidentified Tower

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:31 pm

AvovA17

Postby AvovA17 on Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Dragon Isles goatperson done:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 860BB67FA/

Took me several tries. I tried it with the codex too, but just could not make it work with the gods I had.

Finally, I tried it with the shield. Restarted a bunch of times cause my starting god was Binlor. On this run I had MA as my starting god, so I played it out, and the other two altars were Dracul and PM, so I stacked resists, and, even though I had no wonafyt, I was able to kill enough to survive until the Firstborn. I had ~35% resists at the time, L7. I unloaded all my potions into him, and with some refills he fell.

The guards were not that much of a problem with life steal, but I foolishly forgot to get Blood Tithe from Dracul, and ended up in MA with almost no resources left. I spent the remaining resources killing the remaining monsters just so that I could get back into Dracul again :).

Oh, and no Soul Orb / Viper ward on this run even though I prepped Quest Items, and maxed out all veto slots with goat-garbage like Agnostic Collar, Martyr Wraps / Piercing Wand / etc.

I only have Chemist, and then a bunch of "normal" classes left for this dungeon.
Update: pff, that was easy:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 9FFB02778/

Got it on the first try. Prepped Extra Altar, JJ spawned closed to the start, and Dracul was there too. Gameover for the dragons.
AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Yeah, Chemist is still very much what I would call a "normal" class. The only limitation it has is that it can't spike with potions, but permanent BLUDTUPOWA with half blackspace usage makes up for that pretty well.
shade_of_ox

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons