[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby Raz on Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:48 am

Beginning to see its double edged potential. Still seems very edge case. Maybe I'l check it out in the Slime Pits.
Raz

Postby Lujo on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Yeah, if you stick it on a Halfling and find Cydstepp, you can be a warlord on top of what you already are (and it's plenty silly in case you're a Rogue or a Sorcerer or Bloodmage or...). It's scummy as you can't prep Cydstepp, but so was the old Cydstep Rogue and it still didn't stop people from going nuts with it. Being a warlord while still being something else is kinda... busted. I'd say it makes any halfling into a ghetto warlord it it didn't in fact turn you into a... gangsta warlord, I suppose? 8-)

Otherwise it'd be good with thieves if it worked with them, and it's obviously good with Priests due to overheal. It's also probably good on Rogues, too, 50% overheal from potions negates their innate health deficiency as long as you can tactically burn potions (and if you're a Halfling, you can probably go nuts with those especially if fueling Trisword and/or alch scroll). Could be good with Transmuters for the same purpose, and it works with anyone using JJ strats I suppose. Also warlords, ofc, ghetto, gangsta or ones with a permit.

Anywho, last I heard, overheal = good. Lets you fight stuff above your level and stuff. If you're going full-stupid with stat pools, most single-issue debuffs are also pointless if you can potion spike stuff (and seeing that halflings can bloody well potion spike anything anyway in innumerable ways, having something which augments it is also fine I suppose). Berserkers are also a lot like priests in that they always take that little bit more heal/health for getting one more critical hit in, and love fighting stuff above their level, I bet there's a good cauldron Berserker build or two out there.

Also, words of wisdom for the uninitiated into one of the greatest secrets of Desktop Dungeons - if you cant figure an item/class/glyph/god/whatever out, keep throwing halflings at it until it breaks. Or at least until you end up discovering some unrelated bit of complete insanity.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:50 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Last edited by Lujo on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Lujo, hadn't thought of Rogueing that way. Cool idea. Will give it a shot.

Fun thing on Cursed Oasis - just purist entanglement/fireball-spiked the Cursed Dragon with an Elf fighter. EM is crazy good on that one.
Blovski

Postby Tinker on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 am

Lujo,
I sense that you have a thing for Halflings... :)

I'm also a big fan of Halflings (not in the game-breaking kind of extreme way you mention, just in the plain old boss-killing health spike / get out of tough spot kind of way). I mostly play challenges or (close to) purits runs, and I absolutely loathe to scum, so wacky combos are usually out of the picture for me; that said, I do love Halflings, especially Priests, Thieves and of course Tinkers (duh).

My love for Gnomes actually started when I kept realizing Class Challenge after Class Challenge, that as soon as you bring the right race, most of the challenges move from (almost) impossible to (easily) doable; and that in the majority of cases, the "right race" ended up being the Gnome. Now, in all fairness, Halfling is also very useful for challenges; I went in with a Halfling for Priest Gold, before I realized the level is skewed towards Dwarf, but I beat it on my first try nevertheless because I could adjust my strategy thanks to the versatility potions afford. That said, when I was doing Tinker Gold, I was giving a lot of thought whether to bring Halfling or Gnome, and I realized that in that highly randomized challenge environment, I actually prefer the added versatility of the Gnome over the pure Health spike of the Halfling... Because there are several glyphs that convert Mana into melee prowess, but only one glyph that converts Health into magical prowess. And since I have no clue what items drop on Tinker Gold, I might end up getting tons of mana boost items and then I want to be Gnome rather than Halfling; but if I get lots of damage boost items, I can still glyph it out with the Gnome.
"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Astral on Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 am

The thing I like a lot about halflings is being able to turn into piety-factories under certain gods. Ever wondered how a vampire would work with more sanguine and normal regen? Halflings are the key!

[img=http://s15.postimg.org/ghb7dulav/pseudo_vampire3.jpg]

And while making rogues more survivable in weird ways is on the table, try multiple levels of lifesteal. Thanks to first strike it applies before you get hit, so you can tank hits that would one-shot you otherwise, also it lets regenfight more easily with orcs/humans, and in that case your dodging is a reliable tool in fights. The best part is, that on successful dodges you not only save health, but generate it too, thanks to lifesteal.

@Lujo: That thread would be awesome :D
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lujo on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 am

@Tinker - yeah, Gomes are glyph abusers and they're pretty much unbeatable when you're trying to do exactly that. But that's what you do all the time, so the gameplay itself is sort of a boosted version of what you do with IDK mystera worship, etc. They're a build optimization race, so to speak. And it makes sense that they'd be the default choice in puzzles and simmilar runs because of the importance of glyph play.

Halflings just want to watch the world burn XD In fact, halfling puzzles used to stump me more than any other thing in the game, because they really play like nothing else. But, yeah, it's a separate thread material.
Last edited by Lujo on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:34 pm

@Astral I like your thinking.

Just done my first Triple Quest (on the second go, once I realised you could take preps. Derp.). Really enjoyed it from a lore and a gameplay perspective. Nice fresh challenge.
Blovski

Postby The Tapir on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:53 am

Was finding it tough recently to keep playing, as my idea of getting 100% on the normal dungeons became repetitive very quickly. Instead, went the route of finally tackling the PQIs on the Cursed Oasis that had been staring me in the face: this time Goblin Thief with Feeling Parched. Went the route of EM and spamming IMAWALL and Greenblood to get rid of curses as I tackled the Dragon first. Worked pretty well, too - the conversion points from all the potions I couldn't use helped greatly with levelling during the fight.

And, as a smaller victory: currently rocking 100% completion on Den of Danger, Venture Cave, and Southern swamp, with western jungle and northern desert following behind. Successful week, I'd say.
The Tapir

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons