General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby Astral on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Meh. My goblin play must be pretty bad, I still can't do it with them.

At least I'm improving, today I pulled off something silly:

I misscilcked thanks to my cat's surprise assault, and started the run before I could prep anything. I never tried a purist warmonger pqi before, was very interesting. And random. More so thanks to JJ cause I needed 2 refills from him and couldn't spare piety for petition :lol:
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby caviar on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:03 pm

http://i.imgur.com/EjVMK8u.jpg

That was the most fun I've had with this game in recent memory. The priest felt like a sensible choice for the +100% undead damage trait, as well as the increased health to synergize with Binlor resist stacking.

Pretty standard Namtar's Lair fare - binlor prep, most of my exploration used to acquire max magic resist. The Paan Labyrinth subdungeon was an amazing find; lots of walls to crush for binlor piety without wasting the ones upstairs (as those could then be used for boons/knockback), as well as a hefty chunk of blackspace to fuel endiswal (imps didn't matter at this stage of the game since you're pretty much only after MP when you're on heavy Binlor duty anyway). Once I had what I wanted from Binlor I chose to park at the Earthmother due to a lack of better options - despite having no means of generating piety for her besides the stone sigil. I grabbed entanglement to get more value out of my popcorn as well as a couple of vine forms to make the early levels even more of a smooth sailing.

Thanks to some adequately leveled frost trolls, max magic resists, some sensible regen-fighting using Whurrgarbl and the godsend that is Getindare, getting to an appropriate level to take on Namtar was a cinch. The RNG gods also decided to bless me with Wheytwut, which allowed me to place Namtar in front of a neat line of walls to punch him into. As I had his first form down about halfway I was beginning to worry about whether my resources would carry me through the rest of the run - until I realized I realized that I wasn't a monk (as I had pretty much played as I would a monk, regen-fighting and all). Somehow I had forgotten about the 100% potion recovery trait in the middle of the run - so that came as a very pleasant revelation mid-bossfight.

I grabbed the witchalok pendant as well as the crystal ball before heading downstairs, and made short work of the first vampire form. The second one, however, was looking like trouble, 180 attack when in berserk mode and all, especially since I had gotten rid of Getindare to make room for the corpse... The witchalok pendant saved me here, as I had to resort to fireballing the imps to build up physical resists to tank the hits. The two last forms were, as they usually are, nothing to worry about.

All in all a very satisfying run. If you're struggling with VT Namtar's - give the good ol' priest a shot.
caviar

Postby Blovski on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 pm

Vicious Token on Slime Pits. Gogo Gorgon. Also filling in my Goatperson business.
Blovski

Postby Astral on Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:49 am

Not a hard one, but it was fun. I fireballed Getandafix to death with all my preserved backspace over the waters, and my countless manapotions and bloodpools. JJ boosted my stats nicely, and by the end I was running around with 51% sanguine and 140ish health. I never noticed it before, but lifesteal is a fantastic boon for VT runs. It turns resource hogs fightable,
and bloated low level guys into bloodcows and ultimately popcorn.
It's a bummer I had such a bad shop selection, learning was the best investment. Oh and when you're manaburned NC won't give you extra bonus for the manapotions, cause the debuff is wiped first and the refill happens later :(
Btw it's funny no matter how wasteful you play a bloodmage always has excess bloodpools left by the end.
Astral

Postby Blovski on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:25 am

^ think I cheesed that one with the Dragon Cannon. Congrats on doing it legitimately though. Bloodmages be awesome. Just got my VT for Creeplight with an elf transmuter of MA. So much fireball :twisted:

The Elfmuter (this time of GG) has solved Doubledoom for me as well now. Bleaty + Goo came up which is pretty ideal after the just plain undoable Frank + SMM run.
Blovski

Postby Astral on Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks, I really wanted to do something with the usually unreachable blackspace of that level and it led to this. Love bloodmages too, and I haven't played the gnome variant in ages.
And how did I forget the plantcannon option? That was practically invented for this map.

Also nice job on getting VTs with the elfmuter! For me that's the only transmuter that doesn't work too well. I try too hard to reach ridiculous mana levels, but waste too much blackspace, especially when I forget to watch my CP and get mana drained halfway a long spellfight :P
Astral

Postby Blovski on Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:45 pm

FINALLY got the all silver class challenges achievement down. Crusader Silver last to go but pleased to have managed it without Pisorf, just Halpme, Fireheart and good play and popcorn conservation. Just Wizard Gold and the three Explorer's Guild ones to go.
Blovski

Postby Nurator on Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:19 am

Great job. Wizard Gold is not that hard. Just remember to bring the boss to 1 HP with fireball, attack popcorn, explore 2 tiles and repeat with a fireball.

Explorer Guild is hard, good luck with that :D
Nurator

Postby Astral on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:17 am

I'm currently in a the middle of a supreme slayer tour and trying out different strats each time. On my last run I tried to do it with a weird acid caster pala on shifting passages. This was my 1st acid caster run, and I haven't calculated in that chopping plants will make new walls, and so I couldn't get to most of my shops (or gold) and even my subdungeon was burried in plants. Not ideal if you're shooting to be a CP monster.
I had to drop the lvl 1 bosskill, but it was still a nice run:

http://s27.postimg.org/fhf5lsb8z/acid_pala1.png
http://s17.postimg.org/k4ljes5m7/acid_pala2.png
http://s22.postimg.org/qiu1vygyp/acid_pala3.png
http://postimg.org/image/55t8zjh6r/

If I didn't have piety issues I could have pulled it with a massive amount of clearences.
And of course I had this sub hiding under a plant:

http://s24.postimg.org/ookz6hml1/acid_pala6.png

Btw, anyone has any cool caster based supreme slayer strats?

Edit: OMG I missed a great opportunity! Should have destroyed TT's altar before getting the agnostic collar. That way with reducing my damage to 1, I could have used all my remaining lvl 1-2 monsters as wallbreakers to solve my problems. No piety problems, more gold, accessible subdungeon, and the list goes on. Hell, I could have started the boss fight at full mana :lol:

Edit2: Nvm, 16 corrosion. So it was only possible with a -damege% item, and no attack boosters picked up.
Astral

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:54 am

Wow, 16 corrosion! I usually try for 9-12, but then again, I've never tried it with a paladin before. I might have to give that a whirl!

Back in the day, it was possible to get a level 1 PISORF kill by abusing the trisword. The trisword isn't what it used to be anymore, but I bet that an orc wizard could still make it work.
Sidestepper

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons