[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby Tinker on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:11 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:59 am

Desktop Dungeons D.E.R.P ID: Dungeoneer1020
Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
Favorite God: TT
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby ~'(^ + ^)'~ on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:54 am

@William & Tinker: Thanks!

Anyway, I dived in and took my first test run as a Rat. Found that I wasted a lot of blackspace and couldn't even clear the first floor. Problem was I was finding it hard to maintain my piety, I had to make sure I had 10 or more before I level up and each new monster hit also took away 4. Pisorfing mobs to the edge of the top level only gives 5 piety. I saw for Eastless' attempt, he took the free 50 piety from PM (I didn't, and Tinker did not too for her 2 successful attempts). Understand that it may limit how far you can take Sanguine to later (15% is still quite decent), so Tinker, what is your advice on this?

@DarkDungeoneer1020: Cool, nice win! :)

Is Dragon Isles the only Vicious Dungeon you have attempted? You should definitely try to unlock Vampire by clearing Vicious Steel first, should be the "easiest" of the Vicious Dungeons.

Namtar's Lair and Demonic Library are roughly the same in difficulty (thereabouts), and Naga City should be the hardest. Needless to say, VGT will be for last.

You can probably try them out first and let us know if you need recommended builds or strategies, :)
~'(^ + ^)'~

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:16 am

Current Favorite Desktop Dungeons Race/Class Combos: Gnome Sorcerer, Gnome Tinker
My Desktop Dungeons Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMvtEv ... IAVrc1492g
AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Tinker on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:19 pm

Tinker

Postby The Tapir on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:51 pm

Finally got around to beating VGT the "standard" way (i.e. no Vampire), and got it on my first try with a human paladin of GG. Had Pactmaker on the first subdungeon, and built up 65% resist both with Body Pact around the 5th-6th floors. Had enough blackspace left over in the various floors of the tower as well as the walls that I only needed 2 protections while fighting Horatio, who I had to fight down without any resist stripping methods whatsoever. Grabbed Parched while I was at it, too - that race/class/deity combo trivialized what I thought would take ages without using Vamp.

Currently in the process of getting some other wins on VGT (Crusader and Sorceror have done pretty well, but burned out ~7-8 floors in), though it's the resist stacking strategy where I keep getting stuck: Taurog hates glyphs, making the early floors a pain to clear without bleeding piety at every step, while Dracul hates Halpmeh, which has become my go-to mana sink in the later floors, where Burndayraz's effectiveness sharply drops off. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Ughhhhhh

So close. Ran out of resources on the 9th floor. Got poisoned at the worst time possible, and had to scrape together resources at the end that ultimately killed the run. I had 2 enemies left before H, but they were the worst possible for a physical fighter: a goo blob and the dancing blade. Had no way of leveling, and tried to gamble on a JJ desecration for a last blood swell but lost. Other than that, I did far better on my first try with priest than I was expecting. I feel like Halpmeh might've helped in getting to Dracul before ditching it for more piety given that I nearly never used fireballs, though I guess it remains to be seen.
Last edited by The Tapir on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Tapir

Postby DarkDungeoneer1020 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:11 pm

AKA:
Dark
Bad at DD
DarkDungeoneer1020

Postby Tinker on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Tinker

Postby The Tapir on Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks for the reply, Tinker - I'm currently running the latest attempt at VGT Priest.

One thing I wanted to ask, though, is how do you deal with the high phys resist enemies? For priest, only goo blobs and the Illusion are a problem, but most other characters built similarly struggle to quickly and efficiently kill those alongside wraiths. Cleansing is too piety/inventory space intensive for their numbers, and RBS is usually out of the question.

EDIT:
And wow, this game hates me - in the first 5 levels, I got 4 (!) shots of resistances and one of gold, and had both martyr wraps and BYSSEPS waiting as accessories for the Horatio fight. Cleared the first floor no problem, then got "overwhelming confidence" with the Golden Statue. Painful, but I clear it and move on... to a fully revealed floor with the Illusion.

Ended the run pretty quickly.
The Tapir

Postby Tinker on Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:44 pm

Tinker

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons