[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - General-Purpose bragging topic!

General-Purpose bragging topic!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: General-Purpose bragging topic!

Postby shade_of_ox on Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:02 pm

shade_of_ox

Postby thzfunnymzn on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:23 am

Tbf, serious knockback / punch (ab)use seems to require a learning process specific to that strategy, instead of being part of the general learning process of Desktop Dungeons, so it is a slight bit more of a veteran strat than, say, Taurog Berserker.

Haven't played the punch game enough to know if it's generically powerful or if it's its special interaction with Orc Wizard, Rat Monarch, etc., though I'm inclined to take y'alls word that it really is that powerful. I do know now that Punchomancer is definitely one of the top, top tier strats in the game. My Punchomancer had an easier time with VT Purist VHoT than my Halflingzerker of Taurog did. Also, shade, just to showcase the strength of the class for a particular conversation, up and wins VT Purist Library with it just to prove a point, no special comment on how difficult that run was.
thzfunnymzn

Postby General_Milky on Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:06 am

Punchomancer does take a bit of learning, yeah. About a year ago, I didn't think it was very good at all, it worked, but it wasn't a power strat like tank paladin or vampire could be. Then I tried it, failed, tried it again, failed, and finally figured out how to do it, and learned just how damned good it can be, especially in maps with 2 bosses.
General_Milky

Postby shade_of_ox on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:24 am

I would say Orc Wizard is the only application of Punchomancer worth pursuing. The fact is that with Crystal Ball and Dragon Soul, there are so many ways to refill your mana that Gnome isn't worth it, and Elf isn't worth it because Jehora is basically the same thing.

Other Punchomancer builds can work - in particular Bloodmage is rather decent at it - but nothing beats the raw power of Wizard because the -1 glyph cost means that you can cast 1.33 times the PISORF of any other character.

I also recently found out that Wizard gets a bonus BURNDAYRAZ glyph (I always thought he just picks one up off the floor like Magnet:Fireball) which makes him even more powerful since that's another 100 free CP.
shade_of_ox

Postby choongmyoung on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:32 am

Not only the Wizard, but also Thief, Chemist, Gorgon, and all 3rd tier classes have an extra glyph. A Thief with extra glyphs prep have extra 3 glyphs: I recorded this run just to show it. https://youtu.be/3XOjASzTlzk

Sorcerer is also a good punchomancer.
choongmyoung

Postby shade_of_ox on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:41 am

That's a nice run. Pretty close.
I guess any class can run punchomancer, I just don't think any of them measure up to Wizard.
shade_of_ox

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Ok, my brag is much smaller than doing triple Vicious:

I have finally rainbowed all "Hard" dungeons as well. It took me so long cause I normally play 1-2 runs a day,
and sometimes they are both DERPs.

The only ones that I had to play several times to get were
1) goat in the Labyrinth. I kept running out of food. Got it on the 4th try. Other goats were all done in 1 go, but ofc with heavy preps.
2) Chemist in the Labyrinth as well. I won it on the first try, but accidentally exited the game, lol.
3) TGT rat and TGT goat, yeah. That one took several tries. I think I bragged about it here earlier.

On to the vicious dungeons now. Badges should be the hardest, I guess. Hoarder, Miser, Purist, VT. Hoarder on the longer maps is so hard. I always forget that I do not want to convert anything and prepping JJ hits you even harder :)
AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Hey, nice! That takes a pretty decent time investment to pull off, and some of those runs aren't easy at all.
shade_of_ox

Postby AvovA17 on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:47 pm

AvovA17

Postby shade_of_ox on Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I think the real difficulty spike in Vicious is when you play classes that are not well suited to the dungeon (for instance Monk in Vicious Steel). In Hard you can usually overcome the dungeon just by brute force with preps, but in Vicious you really need to be able to pull as much out of each class as possible (unless it's an easy one like Berserker). If you want to really test your skill, you should try and do PQIs in Vicious dungeons and see if you can clear them consistently (I think you start getting Vicious PQIs once you rainbow all Hards, right?). I myself am able to clear them decently consistently, but by no means 100%.
shade_of_ox

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons