[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Can we get Purist if we only take Bet on Boss?

Can we get Purist if we only take Bet on Boss?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Can we get Purist if we only take Bet on Boss?

Postby Nurator on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:29 pm

damn psychology :D

What about something like:

Invest all your hero money: You start with 0 gold, but if you win, your invested money quadruples!
Nurator

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:14 pm

^ that's more of an alternate mode thing. Would work better as a token, though ^^

Say, what's the realy, actual, genuing problem here? People forgetting it's a prep because it doesn't do anything in-run? Is there really any other "macro" prep in the game?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Well, whatever you do to it something's not right, and it far too late to do anything that involves a fan favourite thing and could be considered a nerf at the same time. Cause grief to a bunch of people who've bought the game just because a bunch of guys who've been beta testing the game for years talked the devs into it... in a singleplayer game? It's kinda too late, and the actual gripe is kinda minor... "You can't get purist if you take a prep on a run." While I actually fully understand the specifics and the conundrum I'm torn between deciding would the O RLY owl or the "Tell me more about how..." Willy Wonka illustrate a sarcastic reaction to the whole bussiness. XD

And anyway, if the devs were gonna do anything about anything they would've made the cauldron + thief interaction be the logical one by now XD
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:40 pm

Oh, I don't expect anything to change. The current build is stable, everything more or less works, and the devs have better things to do than tinker with endgame content. Talking about changes that you would like is fun, and that' all I'm expecting to come from this.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:32 am

Oh, I'm just putting that way of looking at the whole bussiness out there just so it's clear noone's being damanding or unreasonable. You can't get O RLY'd if you O RLY yourself demonstratively first. :) Also kinda trying to put the original ontology of the whole conundrum back into focus as I'm brushing up on my design having become active in the Rebuild 3 beta test forums (someone's developing a Chaos Overlords Light - zombie edition, FINALLY! QCF are better (or more experienced) game developers from what I've seen so far. Also, the rate of casual-to-hardocore-powergamer is much much more in favor of casual, so much so that I'll probably be getting jabs I've been throwing at folks here for being too powergamey XD )

Anywho, so what the deal with the BoB seems to be:

Core potentially legit issue:

- It's the only prep which doesn't affect anything in the dungeon
- This means that it's interaction with purist is mostly (absolutely?) purely bureaucratic
- This then leads to people forgetting not to prep it on purist runs which screws up the badge

Solution:

- Get it out of the purist badge jurisdiction

Problem:

- That would make it work in a way different from any other prep, which makes it even more of an anomaly
"Why does this one prep, which is selected in the same method as any other prep, not trigger purist?"

Solution:

a) Make it a token.
- Won't work because it'd be prepped on any run and just passively increases the trophy bounty all the time except in non-vicious
b) Make it a token and add a downside
- Well, that's just vicious token then, except with less yield and probably lower penalty.
- It'll also have anyone who's used to having that extra gold per run grumble.
- Also anyone who's used to stacking it with vicious token and flaming dungeon for heaps of cash (if that even works)
c) Remove it from the game entirely and put an actual prep there, while potentially simply upping the throphy bounty
- Is probably what I would've done, lol. Having an unfixable mood dampening hazard (a prep that can inconspiciously cost you a rather difficult to get badge but you only get a heads-up afterwards) isn't all that well thought out to begin with ^^
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons