Choosing Gender

All things Desktop Dungeons

Choosing Gender

Postby Reinhaert on Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked already and I know it would kind of defeat the purpose of the whole randomized element, but is there a way to choose whether you're male or female? For some classes I just have a strong preference towards one or the other. Sorry if this has been asked to death. c:
Reinhaert

Re: Choosing Gender

Postby Urthop on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:13 pm

I think this can be answered with a swift 'Nope, you can't.'

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Urthop

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Nope. Gender is random, just like in life.
dislekcia

Postby squirrelnest on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:30 am

dislekcia wrote:Nope. Gender is random, just like in life.

idk why this made me laugh, but it did.
squirrelnest

Postby FDru on Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:20 am

We used to not have females at all.

I begged them to make it optional.

But now... they've kind of grown on me. Some are just incredibly awesome, like the female Orc Wizard. Female halflings are cute (males look kinda stupid) and most of the human and elf females look remarkable as well.

Guess I was just conditioned into subconsciously disliking female characters due to the blatant sexualization of females in games like League of Legends (and most other MMOs).
FDru

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:18 pm

FDru wrote:Guess I was just conditioned into subconsciously disliking female characters due to the blatant sexualization of females in games like League of Legends (and most other MMOs).

My girlfriend and I joke about the LoL cleavage all the time. When they were going to redo Annie's portrait it was all "Well here comes puberty!"

We always wanted the female sprites in the game to just be a thing that was there because it makes sense that women would go adventuring too. Why not?
dislekcia

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:56 pm

For what it's worth, I always appreciated the even-handedness with which you guys handled gender, and most especially the fact that the women all look like professional adventurers and not runway models with swords strapped onto their g-string armors.

I know that including female portraits doubled your production costs for character art, so props for cutting into your bottom line to make a statement.
Sidestepper

Postby TheSchachter on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 am

dislekcia wrote:We always wanted the female sprites in the game to just be a thing that was there because it makes sense that women would go adventuring too. Why not?

This makes me happy. Hopefully, this kind of thing will keep becoming more and more normal in games.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby dislekcia on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:23 pm

TheSchachter wrote:This makes me happy. Hopefully, this kind of thing will keep becoming more and more normal in games.

That's the hope :) Not saying that we're doing anything amazingly special, nor are we the only devs who care, just that we're thinking about this stuff too.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:50 am

dislekcia wrote:Not saying that we're doing anything amazingly special, nor are we the only devs who care

Well, it sometimes seems so. Desktop Dungeons female portraits come up a lot as a shining example of female portrayal in games in many discussions I've withnessed. A regular question that comes up when someone complains about the way women are portrayed in games is "well, do you have a better idea?" (Implying it's impossible to portray them any way but the standard caricatural one and/or that the person asking has never seen it done). The answer is ussually, well, there's this game called Desktop Dungeons...

So your art direction is quite a bit of an achievement. Various moba communities are getting an influx of girls and the debates about this are cropping up more and more often, and there aren't really too many examples of a whole roster of women being portrayed in such a "naturalist" fashion.

For anyone interested the problem is actually deep enough that the way Planescape Torment and Fallout 2 figure into it is rather curious.

Planescape Torment, the game praised for amazing depth of it's characters and story, still has the female lead who is pretty much a buxom redhead cat-girl in a skimpy bathing suit with such a throwaway personality that the "romance" part between her and the Nameless One falls flat. The other female NPC is much more interesting - a buttoned up succubuss who got kicked out of the abyss for not wanting to be a "fanservice" vehicle (that's pretty much her in-game backstory), and runs what is essentialy a psychoterapy clinic (much more interesting). But that's just taking the stereotype in the completely opposite direction.

Fallout 2 on the other hand managed the impossible. It manages to have the hypersexualized male model (in a jumpsuit, no less) who can be an everyman by stats but always looks like a shaved gorilla. On the other hand, the female model LOOKS much more like an "everyman" - by accident :lol: If you zoom in it's obvious that she was ment to be hypersexualized (and there's way too many opportunities/benefits you get for playing a girl and intercoursing your way through quests), but the engine couldn't really bring it out like with a guy and she ends up looking like a regular woman. So it's one game where the guy is immersion-breakingly buff, and the girl is just an adventurer.

And those two were at a time considered to be the epic RPGs with the best caracterization (and for some still are). DD art direction beats both hands down on this issue.
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons