Choosing Gender

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Choosing Gender

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:30 am

Yes. Just yes. Also, serious thumbs up to the devs for breaking the stereotypical adventurer images. Then again, DD is all about breaking stereotypes.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Choosing Gender

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:14 pm

Also, seeing that this is a rather huge problem in any media and has been for centuries (even millenia), as strange as it sounds, the DD female portraits are even more precious. Might've seemed like a natural and sensible thing to you guys, but is quite groundbreaking. Believe it or not I got quite a solid academic background, and if I wanted to hold a class on the sensible portrayal of women throughout history, these things would most likely be recieved as very wowing and inspiring. Women have very rarely been portrayed as reasonable agents or everymen and not objects or ideals.

If it sounds strange, here's an even bigger factually true curveball - one of the biggest selling points of what was called "communism" is that they stuck with promoting sex equality and didn't turn from that direction as the west did in the fifties. Heck, for a lot of people this was ALL that it ment, and it was enough to keep quite a lot of people invested (namely women). A common gripe among the, rather startlingly non-conservative, older women who grew up in, say, Yugoslavia is that the media of today are loaded with women with no clothes and you can't ever see a woman in overalls or any other working clothes. It's a lot like the complaints about female adventurers - lots of models, noone who looks like she kicks assess for a living. (This was just an illustration of how rare and appealing this sort of thing is)

Also, I don't seem to remember ever seing a game where you can play an old woman as a protagonist. And I never noticed this before, because DD actually did a lot of "firsts" for me in this regard.

Hmmm, this gives me an idea :) Is there a way to get all the portraits or at least a permission to use them as part of an article?
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons