You will never look at halfling priests the sam again

All things Desktop Dungeons

You will never look at halfling priests the sam again

Postby Astral on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:29 pm

First of all I wanted to say hi to everyone on this forum, and thank the developers for creating this fantastic game!

I've been lurking on the forums for a few days and decided to finally post something. I'm not a vet, I've only played about a 100 games so far.

So, is this how you play a halfling priest with naga cauldron? :D

How did I kill a 120/1110 blinking boss with lifesteal, and with no mid fight lvl ups? (Also I converted CYDSTEPP before hitting him :P)
Last edited by Astral on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Re: You will never look at halfling priests the sam again

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 am

Gratz, this is the second thread about it in a very short time :D

I actually discoverd this quite a while ago when I was trying to break the cauldron back when it first came out. It's very strong! But here's a strange thing - the actual benefit comes from never being really able to get the 100% out of your potions which overheal allows for, and having a naturally large health pool. However, there's another way to make bigger health potions count.

Take a halfling monk with maxed out resists, a RBS for slow strike, and a few other debuffs, or even a halfling berserker on the right map, with a Naga Cauldron. I can't say for sure any of them are in fact stronger than a priest, but I'm not sure they're weaker, either.
Lujo

Postby TheSchachter on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 am

Hey Lujo, I'd recommend having another look at the screenshot. Astral did it Parched :P

From the results screen, the only thing that comes to mind right now is using GG's Absolution a bunch of times for even more absurd health as well as a bunch of beads (some Magic res), maybe some protections mid-run for leveling (you can convert a bunch of potions and stuff for piety after all), then switching to Binlor with a decent amount of Piety and blackspace leftover to reach ridiculous amounts of Magic res (maybe maxing them out?) Then combine with platemail + priest undead bonus for stomping both bosses. Also with bear mace + lots of resist you can probably regen-fight blahblah... or were you knocking The Indomitable into him?

I might be completely wrong about this though, or else missing something. Either way, an impressive achievement.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 am

O.O, rubbs eyes, then O.O again

:lol:

Wow, that is impressive!

(And, oh well, still, a bit of good advice still found a home, even if it made me look stupid)

But, why did you go parched? Not how, but why? Wasn't there at any point a moment where blowing a potion on killing something way above your level a good move? Because I'm sure you didn't plan on going parched and prepped the Cauldron on a Halfling...
Lujo

Postby Kestrel on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:45 am

Weaken Indomitable, then repeatedly kick him into blahblah for hundreds of free damage. Probably the most efficient strategy on that map if you can set it up. Dodge potion + whupaz to soften the vampire up a bit first was a nice touch, and so was not bothering to use the main point of the character build :)
Kestrel

Postby Astral on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks Lujo and TheSchachter :D

Lujo wrote:Take a halfling monk with maxed out resists, a RBS for slow strike, and a few other debuffs, or even a halfling berserker on the right map, with a Naga Cauldron. I can't say for sure any of them are in fact stronger than a priest, but I'm not sure they're weaker, either.

Usually they are both stronger, mainly thanks to their resists and trait combos, but if you build similarly high resist with a priest and face undeads he's the king. Or at least that's how I felt.

And I went parched with for multiple reasons: I'm inexperienced with both halflings and priests :P
Whenever I played them for missions I just used the potions for massive piety with Dracul or GG. Also this was my 2nd run in VHoS and I wasn't sure whether I won the 1st time by luck or skill (finding any means of protection is huge). So I went with the possibility of not finding any protection, then any potion can count.
Oh and funnily I totally misremembered the monster selection of the level, don't know why but I though there were vampires or zombies too.( for a while I was searching for them :P )
After I lvld up a few times I gained some nice resists and steel golems became unwanted targets. Didn't find any wraiths, and without BURNDAYRAZ warlocks and animated armors were too resurce intensive.
Also both of my subdungeons gave a lot of extra xp which made me overconfident about my xp situation.

TLDR: potions are gauranteed to taste awful

Wow Schachter you almost nailed it :o
The only difference is that I didn't knock Indomitable into BlahBlah, but rather I was using it as dodgeball to farm piety with Binlor :lol:
Here's a few screenchots to show how I kept changing my strat at the end:

I look at BlahBlah and say: I'm gonna kick his ass with Whupaz as a wannabe Warlord.

But wait, I have just enough walls for this:

Then realize, hey I don't need Whupaz, nor any potions and can even convert my CYDSTEPP. HALPMEH, and lifesteal will do the trick. Let's make it ironic: I'm gonna regenfight a blinking lifeasteling boss and get parched with NCauldron.

Fun fact, due to my clumsiness he even sucked my blood during the fight and I still won :lol:

And as a what if I went with my poitons:

Edit: I started writing this "textwall" before you posted Kestrel, so I didn't see your comment. (finding my screenshots and the way how to show them took a really long time :P )
Knocking the Indomitable into Blahblah is a great idea, I will definately try it next. I hope he won't blink away, but it's worth a shot. EM or ledger's scroll would solve it anyway.
Astral

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Astral wrote:But if you build similarly high resist with a priest and face undeads he's the king. Or at least that's how I felt.

Oh, no doubt about that :lol: But if you're building resists from scratch, bringing a cauldron will leave you with no dragonshield. You can still probably max magic resists with Binlor, but Physical would be a bit of a pain. Still, a halfling priest with max resists against undead is a complete beast.

Astral wrote:Whenever I played them for missions I just used the potions for massive piety with Dracul or GG.

I love this, this makes the parched halfling an asskicking strat in stead of a challenge. It's one of my favourite curveballs in the game ^^ Whenever PQI sets me up with a parched halfling I go "Ha! Shot yourself in the foot there, PQI!"

Astral wrote:And I went parched with for multiple reasons: I'm inexperienced with both halflings and priests :P

Ah, that makes sense - anyone but a halfling would want to hoard health potions for the boss fight. And then if you reach the boss fight and see you can do it without potions you spontaneously go parched. Then next time you remember what happened last time and figure out that you have more than enough potions and are a halfling so you start really wreaking havoc :) But you don't go parched :(

And while I remember knocking the indomitable into Blah Blah, I can't remember if he blinks or not. Blink + knockback interactions have always confused me. I think he blinks if you knock HIM into the indomitable, and not the other way around, but doesn't blink if you knock him into a wall... or empty space. :?

Also, for a very silly and offbeat halfling priest experience, have you tried a halfling priest with EM and Avatar's Codex? :) If you play your cards right it supremely silly.
Lujo

Postby Astral on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:15 pm

A funny thing about potions is even with other races I play about 97% of my games parched. I guess it's a mentality I kept from alpha: "if you need the potions you're a noob". And recently I've been trying to deconstruct it.
It's the same with bloodpools and sanguine, I tend to save them for bosses but in the end can't even drink 1/4 of them.

I also get confused by blinking and knockback a lot. Now I know knocking into empty space and walls is fine, into unrevealed walls is not recommended :P and into enemies equales a blink.

Sounds interesting! I only tried elven/dwarven wizards with EM and the Codex.

Btw do you know how blinking and cowardly interacts? Might worth a Taurog prep.
Astral

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:27 pm

Astral wrote:A funny thing about potions is even with other races I play about 97% of my games parched. I guess it's a mentality I kept from alpha: "if you need the potions you're a noob". And recently I've been trying to deconstruct it.
It's the same with bloodpools and sanguine, I tend to save them for bosses but in the end can't even drink 1/4 of them.

:) It's natural, heck, a long while ago when I went about to deconstruct and detail various "end game spikes" I made the mistake of callign the potion spike "the newbie spike". Then much later I figured out that the point of halflings and gnomes is not necessarily that they reach the end game with more fuel, but that they can actually burn potions for leveling advantages way more liberally than anyone else. And that they can reach the endgame and win very difficult stuff squarely off potion power.

Astral wrote:I also get confused by blinking and knockback a lot. Now I know knocking into empty space and walls is fine, into unrevealed walls is not recommended :P and into enemies equales a blink.

Yeah, I there's something about those interactions which is unintuitive, and they aren't really detailed. It might also be affecting the learning/difficulty curve because everything else is fairly straightforward or at least documented, so people probably fall into a habit of converting pissorff and struggling with stuff that is easily demolished with proper understanding of knockback.

Astral wrote:Btw do you know how blinking and cowardly interacts? Might worth a Taurog prep.

No clue whatsoever! :lol:

Astral wrote:Sounds interesting! I only tried elven/dwarven wizards with EM and the Codex.

It's very much overkill on sub-vicious. EM's a mana/slow engine, and priests are gods of static health replenishment. Since you can replenish mana through EM well enough, halfling priesdom takes care of the fact that you're spending both health and mana. Monks work too, obviously. Now that I think about it, halfling thieves might also be rather good, because their health potion replenishes the 2 mana which EM doesn't for 2 fireballs.
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:59 pm

Astral wrote:AI also get confused by blinking and knockback a lot. Now I know knocking into empty space and walls is fine, into unrevealed walls is not recommended :P and into enemies equales a blink.

If a blinking enemy is next to the player when a round of damage is finished being taken, it'll blink. Simple.
dislekcia

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons