[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - You will never look at halfling priests the sam again

You will never look at halfling priests the sam again

All things Desktop Dungeons

You will never look at halfling priests the sam again

Postby Astral on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:29 pm

First of all I wanted to say hi to everyone on this forum, and thank the developers for creating this fantastic game!

I've been lurking on the forums for a few days and decided to finally post something. I'm not a vet, I've only played about a 100 games so far.

So, is this how you play a halfling priest with naga cauldron? :D

How did I kill a 120/1110 blinking boss with lifesteal, and with no mid fight lvl ups? (Also I converted CYDSTEPP before hitting him :P)
Last edited by Astral on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Re: You will never look at halfling priests the sam again

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 am

Gratz, this is the second thread about it in a very short time :D

I actually discoverd this quite a while ago when I was trying to break the cauldron back when it first came out. It's very strong! But here's a strange thing - the actual benefit comes from never being really able to get the 100% out of your potions which overheal allows for, and having a naturally large health pool. However, there's another way to make bigger health potions count.

Take a halfling monk with maxed out resists, a RBS for slow strike, and a few other debuffs, or even a halfling berserker on the right map, with a Naga Cauldron. I can't say for sure any of them are in fact stronger than a priest, but I'm not sure they're weaker, either.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby TheSchachter on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:47 am

Hey Lujo, I'd recommend having another look at the screenshot. Astral did it Parched :P

From the results screen, the only thing that comes to mind right now is using GG's Absolution a bunch of times for even more absurd health as well as a bunch of beads (some Magic res), maybe some protections mid-run for leveling (you can convert a bunch of potions and stuff for piety after all), then switching to Binlor with a decent amount of Piety and blackspace leftover to reach ridiculous amounts of Magic res (maybe maxing them out?) Then combine with platemail + priest undead bonus for stomping both bosses. Also with bear mace + lots of resist you can probably regen-fight blahblah... or were you knocking The Indomitable into him?

I might be completely wrong about this though, or else missing something. Either way, an impressive achievement.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:56 am

O.O, rubbs eyes, then O.O again

:lol:

Wow, that is impressive!

(And, oh well, still, a bit of good advice still found a home, even if it made me look stupid)

But, why did you go parched? Not how, but why? Wasn't there at any point a moment where blowing a potion on killing something way above your level a good move? Because I'm sure you didn't plan on going parched and prepped the Cauldron on a Halfling...
Lujo

Postby Kestrel on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:45 am

Weaken Indomitable, then repeatedly kick him into blahblah for hundreds of free damage. Probably the most efficient strategy on that map if you can set it up. Dodge potion + whupaz to soften the vampire up a bit first was a nice touch, and so was not bothering to use the main point of the character build :)
Kestrel

Postby Astral on Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

Astral

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Lujo

Postby Astral on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:15 pm

A funny thing about potions is even with other races I play about 97% of my games parched. I guess it's a mentality I kept from alpha: "if you need the potions you're a noob". And recently I've been trying to deconstruct it.
It's the same with bloodpools and sanguine, I tend to save them for bosses but in the end can't even drink 1/4 of them.

I also get confused by blinking and knockback a lot. Now I know knocking into empty space and walls is fine, into unrevealed walls is not recommended :P and into enemies equales a blink.

Sounds interesting! I only tried elven/dwarven wizards with EM and the Codex.

Btw do you know how blinking and cowardly interacts? Might worth a Taurog prep.
Astral

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:27 pm

Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:59 pm

dislekcia

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons