DD many stories ? (Maybe codex memory ?)

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: DD many stories ? (Maybe codex memory ?)

Postby FDru on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:13 pm

dislekcia wrote:The codex really was so much work that I don't think we'd add anything to it now. It's honestly the least-used part of the game for the majority of players and it took us AGES to do. If we did the game over, I'd leave the codex out and just put all that info on a website.

I'd suggest that the lack of knowledge of the feature plays more of a part in its (under)utilization than anything. The fact that it's through the escape menu doesn't help any, since players only tend to go there to set the volume (a one-time thing) or exit the game or w/e (I don't even go there to exit the game, I just hit the X in the corner). Hell I didn't even realize we could check current badge progress until I saw it in one of JayPlaysGames' videos.

Features that are hidden are probably doomed to stay that way.
FDru

Postby TheSchachter on Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:08 pm

FDru wrote:
dislekcia wrote:The codex really was so much work that I don't think we'd add anything to it now. It's honestly the least-used part of the game for the majority of players and it took us AGES to do. If we did the game over, I'd leave the codex out and just put all that info on a website.

I'd suggest that the lack of knowledge of the feature plays more of a part in its (under)utilization than anything. The fact that it's through the escape menu doesn't help any, since players only tend to go there to set the volume (a one-time thing) or exit the game or w/e (I don't even go there to exit the game, I just hit the X in the corner). Hell I didn't even realize we could check current badge progress until I saw it in one of JayPlaysGames' videos.

Features that are hidden are probably doomed to stay that way.

Isn't the Codex introduced early on in the Kingdom progression? Like, I seem to recall the game making you open it to show you how it works at some point (the second Banker quest?). Unless I'm remembering incorrectly, that seems good enough. I suppose an additional reminder at some point could help (when you unlock a God or two would be a really good time to remind the player that they can check out God-related information, among other things; early on there aren't as many elements to the game, so the player might be more likely to forget about the codex for when they end up needing it).

For what it's worth, I think the codex is a fantastic tool that I'd probably have used a lot more if I hadn't already learned most of its info by heart at the point where it came online. Still, I love all of the little bits of lore you can find about the bosses in there, some of which are delightfully clever. Easily my favourite aspect of it.
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby FDru on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:33 am

TheSchachter wrote:Isn't the Codex introduced early on in the Kingdom progression?

Possibly? Heh. Could have been something I just glossed over, being my 7th or 8th time doing early progression. So I don't really remember. You vaguely remember. Apparently, the reference wasn't very memorable. What I do remember is that when I actually thought to check out the Codex for the first time (just out of curiosity and the fact that I knew it existed since I was following development), I didn't know where to look for it, and the escape menu didn't immediately come to mind.

I do agree that the Codex is nice, though. Personally, I really wanted it for the monster effects/descriptions.
FDru

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:40 am

The second banker forces you to open up his description in the codex, but that is the extent of its introduction.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby flap on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Gakato wrote:But back to topic: I also wondered a lot about the whole background story, as it seems that there is actually a plot in the world of DD. But putting all these signs together to see the "big picture" is hard to do. Therefore I created a dedicated page in the wiki (click). As it fills up we may need additional entries or can assign them to different plots. But at least we have a starting point.

Yes, I have much fun playing the "Transmuter archeologist" (Transmuter, because they start with lemmisi) to try to visit as many subdungeons as possible. Actually, doing this suits very well to that class's background (including Lawrence encounter).

Now that I have just beaten Horatio and that the wiki page is growing, the story is slowly taking shape. I really love the way QCF design included that fragmented story in the game.
flap

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons