[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - "Spike" definition ?

"Spike" definition ?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: "Spike" definition ?

Postby Lujo on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:03 pm

dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:11 pm

I define spike as using a resource disproportionately to how you would use it for a normal fight. This lends itself well to potions (because you don't use them every fight), DPs (Warlord as exception), and even black space. That makes backspace spike (a term I would normally avoid for regen fighting), a term for when you use a very large amount of tiles to defeat an enemy (like half the map). Then again, unless you are trying to be very specific, I would just go with regen fighting.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby flap on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Well well well, then there are 2 trends for the spike definition (I didn't expect to launch a debate there...) :
- The purist's (and developper's) one : a short burst of high damages
- The philosophical one : the disproportional use of resources for a single fight

It might be time to wikify this. At least newcomers will be able to read the many AA reports and annotated play-through.
flap

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:16 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:09 pm

dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:37 am

Well ,exactly. If hoarding is hoarding, and spike is a spike, then how is spike = playing the game? Playing the game is hoarding/stacking/setup + spike. And several other things, ofc.
Lujo

Postby flap on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:10 pm

Well, I have tried to summarize the definitions and debate in the wiki.

At least, new players reading AA reports and annotated play-through will get an idea of other players mean with that term.
flap

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons