[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Of Stats and Steam Cards

Of Stats and Steam Cards

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Of Stats and Steam Cards

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:25 am

I'm not surprised the fine sword is a common prep (allthough I find prepping stuff you can easily find in the shops always a bit strange, but wth). Elven boots are actually easy to find and locker - kill the Zombie in the subdungeon and there you go. Seeing it lower than Hero's Helm is actually really weird for me.

Seeing GG so high probably has to to with how easy it is to gain piety with him, and that his punishment is actually avoided rather easily. Avoiding his punishment also leads to getting piety with him (convert everything he doesn't like) and, well, I can sort of see why he's popular. Oh, and he has the "go through physical immunity" boon, which probably gets him prepped a lot.

What I find a bit strange is the relative lack of Binlor worship compared to the overwhelming Taurog worship.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:39 am

Taurog is by far the easiest deity, and also my top choice for quick runs. GG runs a close second though.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:18 am

Taurog is also bloody powerful with classess that otherwise require quite a bit of thought and experience to either figure out or play. Any taurogzerker variant (monk or berserker) is single-minded and makes reading the board hugely simplistic while at the same time making you powerful - glyphs? Convert! Monsters? Click on! Shops? Bah, who needs them, I prepped fine sword and Taurog's filling my inventory anyway! Spike? Taurog's got it covered!

You can't actually play a Berserker or a Monk that way without serious end-game preps. And what's more he's not just a piety farm, he's a really explosive piety farm which sinergizes with converting everything in sight. He's be popular even if he unlocked later, I bet :D (Plus, without all the shop upgrades and item unlocks, and not very good grasp of glyphs, his "fills up your inventory" feature is pretty glorious - if you take all 4 you also get a dwarven gantlets which take no slots, and a DP spike option to top it off).

But still, he doesn't really work with spellcasters, and Binlor beats him hard for damage (and he does work with PISORFF spellcasters). I can understand why Taurog's popular, but I can't even immagine all the implications of Binlor not being popular.
Lujo

Postby Naoya on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Binlor is somewhat tedious to use. Newbies usually don't spam glyphs with every step, and the piety drain and middle-ish costs can make using him annoying. How strong his boons actually are isn't completely obvious either; the rate at which you get magic resists looks pretty small, and things like repeatable stoneskins or knockback pale in terms of immediate, tangible power if you compare it to other boons like GG's Heal or Taurog's DP.
Naoya

Postby Kestrel on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:49 am

I think using Binlor to full effect requires you to be an experienced player already. As Naoya said, he's also a bit tedious.

Surprised at the love for GG since I never really prepare him for anything except Cleansing on a warmonger run... his anti-potion rules are a very serious drawback.
Kestrel

Postby Lujo on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Lujo

Postby Kestrel on Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:37 pm

I managed to destroy a few runs by forgetting about GG rules and drinking potions or using poison/vampiric blade, so :)
Kestrel

Postby flap on Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:27 pm

It reminds me when I discovered that a bloodmage worshiping GG is not something very clever.
flap

Postby Garamoth on Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Huh... since I've completed Crusader Gold and I'm nowhere near completing all class challenges, that means only about 4 people have completed all class challenges. People who started playing at release, that is.

Well, that takes the pressure off.
Garamoth

Postby Kestrel on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Oh I'll admit that GG paladins are very strong indeed, triple quest 3 taught me that.

I'm glad I'm apparently not the only one who had trouble with crusader silver, that 5:279 pass rate says quite a lot!
Kestrel

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons