[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Wiki strategy pages ?

Wiki strategy pages ?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Wiki strategy pages ?

Postby Lujo on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm kinda leaning towards that, except I'm sure I made a mistake in saying "the" word, when it's "a" word. There's certainly more to it. It's just a thought experiment, right now, but might turn out useful.

For example, Gnome or Goblin Sorcerers are incredibly streamlined - grab one of the 3 class features and run mad with it. They're certainly powerful, but not in a way that's exactly "optimal". A human or a dwarf sorcerer are way more open-ended as they get something out of their other class features, and use the fact that the mana pool get them levels to turn into melee monsters later on - since this opens you up to leveraging more stuff, which means you get more solutions to more problems, they kinda look more like what I'd describe as "optimal".

Halfling Bloodmages are more streamlined, Gnome Bloodmages are more optimal. Maybe.

Been thinking about "hybrid" too, it's also a bit of an umbrella term that has always kinda confused me. There's guys who use both bars well enough simultaneously and then there's guys who just transition really well. Elven Priests, for example - the Priest is so streamlined that it's hard to think of him as Priest rather than a Warrior. Halfling Priests are something like the most streamlined thing there is. But add Elf to priest, and what you get is something which plays like a great transition hybrid any way you take it.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:09 pm

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby Lujo on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:02 am

I've added the Sorcerer to the list of strong Goblin classess, and I've added the deity section to the page. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing, and I'll need to do some work on the strategy section at one time.

Also, Tinker, I've seen some awesome GG work by you in the bragging thread and this just occured to me - isn't a Goblin Sorcerer of GG basically a monstrous blob of stats rolling around the screen wrecking s***t left and right? The thought of GG piety system + goblin cp system + sorcerer mana pool + absolution + enlightment makes the sounds of a cash register ring off in my head :shock:

EDIT: Went to test it in Namtar's Lair (regular), but I had 2 crashes. It was otherwise working about as well as it sounds, with a very interesting thing to note that I was kicking a lot of ass without prepping or finding fireball at all, just with endswal and getindare for a long, long time on the second run. And I was just about to descend when converting some of the stuff caused the crash. Went with Dwarven Gauntlets, since it sinergizes with everything. The build seems a bit less forgiving than just tacking JJ onto any old goblin and wrecking house, but the payoff is blobby as duck. Should be right up your alley, do give it a whirl :) (Probably not in NL though).
Lujo

Postby Tinker on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:16 am

"Thinker", just without the "ache".
Tinker

Postby flap on Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 pm

For info, I have finally foudn some time to wokr on the strategy page : www.qcfdesign.com/wiki/DesktopDungeons/ ... e=Strategy

It is very much work in progress. And I will probably simplify it a lot, spliting it into new articles. But at least, I feel that the new structure makes more sens.
flap

Postby Lujo on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Oh, god... I'm not sure what you did, but I can't make heads or tail out of this. I personally don't like the striker/brawler/whatever terminology one bit, to begin with, and the god section is wonky, and now I'm just criticising without doing anything useful. And it has the Human and the Orc everywhere and...

This is way too complicated for no good reason.

There's only 3 things in this game - spikes, stats and refills. Spikes are good as an intuitive concept, not very good if you get too technical.

So it's just stats and refills.

Stats - DMG, Health, Mana, Resistances, Level
Refills - Dings, Potions, Boons, Exploration, Free Hits

Everything's a combo of these. Most strats revolve around "Prioritize X, ignore Y".
Lujo

Postby flap on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:54 pm

Gods , brawler, striker and so on are old stuff from that page I haven't removed yet. I don't like that terminology either, and am not sure that it is really usefull.

The page is far to heavy now, so the structure is not visible. But I clear things up tomorrow.
flap

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons