[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Female Representation in Desktop Dungeons

Female Representation in Desktop Dungeons

All things Desktop Dungeons

Female Representation in Desktop Dungeons

Postby GoatBot on Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:32 am

GoatBot

Re: Female Representation in Desktop Dungeons

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:21 pm

It's not easy, but you did a pretty good job of it. I'd agree that the female Goblins didn't really turn out as well as the others, but many of the others worked very well. The humans definitely are top-notch.

It's a shame you didn't gender-swap two of the deities to get an even split in the pantheon (granting Pactmaker as gender-neutral). Certainly now that they have distinctive likenesses entrenched in the DD canon that's impossible, but before that point there was nothing but pronouns and the convention of male and female roles that defined their genders. Prior to the application of facial hair, there was nothing mandating Glowing Guardian or Binlor to be male for instance. Heck, some of the deities (Taurog and JJ) are so in-human in appearance that only pronouns and preconceptions define them as male.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:40 pm

Well, you know my stance and how much I love your work even with all the kinks and flaws. While you may know you could've done better and how, you still managed quite a feat in this area.

Also, I haven't really minded the goblins being done in the disney fashion, or elves generally being hot and skinny. When you put the entire set of pictures togather you get a very nice collage of various ways in which femininty can be protrayed or implied and it's highly educational. Goblins just highlight the more subtle and natural ways that work so well for other races, and showcase just how artificial the secondary signifiers approach is. The elves ARE idealizations by default, and seeing variance even among them, as well as seeing them as just a part of a much wider roster nicely shows just how wrong would making them the standard would be.

Anywho, very, very nicely done :)
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Is it possible for you guys to make it possile for someon to link that to Facebook in a way that shows the pickture as part of the link? The way it is now there's only a link and that's not very attractive, while having a link with a picture would certianly have folks clicking on it :(
Lujo

Postby Zaratustra on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:12 pm

You have to hit enter after the link then wait a few seconds as facebook fetches the images.

Check if you can see this post:
https://www.facebook.com/zaratustra/pos ... ream_ref=1
Zaratustra

Postby Nandrew on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:21 am

Yeah, Facebook is a bit funny about that. Thought it was only me, but it seems the "wait a few seconds" rule is really something.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:30 am

Thanx guy. Strange, when I start a Facebook post with it, it loads the picture eventually. When I tried to add a male roster picture later in the thread, only a link would load. Stupid Facebook.
Lujo

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:26 pm

berpdreyfuss

Postby chuckjaywalk on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:44 pm

After reading about this on themarysue.com, I had to purchase this game. I bought the Deluxe version because I wanted to support QCF for not only thinking about these issues, but publicly discussing them. You have made a fan of me.
chuckjaywalk

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:36 am

dislekcia

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons