The Grand Collection of Fails

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: The Grand Collection of Fails

Postby TheSchachter on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:28 am

I now know to never use double-clicking to go down stairs, at least in Gaan-Telet. Accidentally triple-clicked right onto a level 9 dragon while at low health. This especially deserves to be there since this is the third perfectly good Gaan-Telet Assassin run I've squandered in a row, specifically on the second floor due to a silly mistake; the other two times were caused by temporarily forgetting about the Retaliate:Fireball effect.

I think the game really doesn't want me to beat the place with an assassin... (it's just regular Gaan-Telet. I shouldn't be dying so much XD)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Astral on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:31 am

Oh yeah misclicks.
Lately I've been committing the stupidest mistakes related to them. Some time ago I had a PQI in Labyrinth and for fun was worshipping EM. I planned to join in Dracul later so I was very careful about my bloodpools and only petrified zombies and plants. Then once I misclicked my IMAWALL and blocked a path... the path to my bosses with about 1/3 of the blackspace left.
With no wallbreaking tools I had to use Rex to knock me into the sealed area :P

For a very long time retaliate fb didn't cause me any problems, because I always check the monsters' stats and abilities.
Sometimes that's not enough:

It was my 1st gorgon run there, and had such a great time. Ironically I even had CYDSTEPP. So what happened? That boss was slowed, so his retaliate fb wasn't shown. Seeing his weak stats I brawled him popping my DP, was about to fireball it a little before the regenfight, then I got trolled :(

I really wish retaliate fb and all the like abilities didn't disappeared when slowed, they should remain visible, maybe crossed or with a bracket next to them: (cancelled).
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Gakato on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:51 pm

TheSchachter wrote:Accidentally triple-clicked right onto a level 9 dragon while at low health.

I also had such a case once, but I changed to the "newly" introduced feature: left click walk/cast, right click attack/talk. It's really helping a lot, the first two runs afterwards were a little bit weird, but I was surprised how fast I got used to it and it even feels natural to use another mouse button for attacking. :)

I would recommend trying this setting at least for a couple of dungeons. :)
Gakato

Postby dislekcia on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:59 pm

TheSchachter wrote:I now know to never use double-clicking to go down stairs, at least in Gaan-Telet. Accidentally triple-clicked right onto a level 9 dragon while at low health. This especially deserves to be there since this is the third perfectly good Gaan-Telet Assassin run I've squandered in a row, specifically on the second floor due to a silly mistake; the other two times were caused by temporarily forgetting about the Retaliate:Fireball effect.

I think the game really doesn't want me to beat the place with an assassin... (it's just regular Gaan-Telet. I shouldn't be dying so much XD)

So switch to left click select mode already. That's what it's for!
dislekcia

Postby TheSchachter on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Gakato wrote:
TheSchachter wrote:Accidentally triple-clicked right onto a level 9 dragon while at low health.

I also had such a case once, but I changed to the "newly" introduced feature: left click walk/cast, right click attack/talk. It's really helping a lot, the first two runs afterwards were a little bit weird, but I was surprised how fast I got used to it and it even feels natural to use another mouse button for attacking. :)

I would recommend trying this setting at least for a couple of dungeons. :)

dislekcia wrote:
TheSchachter wrote:I now know to never use double-clicking to go down stairs, at least in Gaan-Telet. Accidentally triple-clicked right onto a level 9 dragon while at low health. This especially deserves to be there since this is the third perfectly good Gaan-Telet Assassin run I've squandered in a row, specifically on the second floor due to a silly mistake; the other two times were caused by temporarily forgetting about the Retaliate:Fireball effect.

So switch to left click select mode already. That's what it's for!

Hahaha, actually, there's one computer on which I play occasionally where I always use left click select, since the left button of that computer's mouse has a tendency to do those accidental double clicks that used to kill me a lot before I changed my own mouse. However, I'm so used to the regular left-click attack that I just switch it back on my usual computer, since right click attacks feel just a bit awkward to me (due to habit no doubt). I very rarely misclick, so I rarely feel compelled to get used to the alternative mode.

For what it's worth I love that it's an option and I feel it's possibly the best solution you guys could come up with to solve the misclick problem. Maybe I'll get used to it enough that I'll want it on all the time. For now though I'll just laugh at myself for three accidental deaths in a row :P
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby Kestrel on Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 am

Retaliate fireball not appearing on the display when enemies are slowed is actually very annoying. Died a few times because of this one too
Kestrel

Postby Nurator on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:38 am

If enemies are slowed, they do NOT retalitate your fireballs ;-) Multiple Fireballs are bad thats true :D
Nurator

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons