Update For Fullscreen

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Update For Fullscreen

Postby lieronet on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Is it possible to implement the hq4x algorithm? Or this algorithm, whatever it's called?
lieronet

Re: Update For Fullscreen

Postby dislekcia on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:00 pm

baconcow wrote:Wasn't quite the fullscreen update I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, with a 2560x1440 resolution monitor, playing the game at native resolution, it is a small box. Fullscreen is a blurry mess. Was hoping for an upgrade to higher resolution assets.

Entirely new assets would take forever to create. We did a test and you're looking at over a year of solid artist time just to get the tilesets working right. Not to mention the huge problems we had trying to invent details on characters that are designed to be readable at 30x30 pixels and suddenly have to be nearly as big as their detailed portraits... The portraits are actually very different to the sprites.

Do not try to inject detail at random pixel levels if you don't want your artist's heads to explode.

lieronet wrote:Is it possible to implement the hq4x algorithm? Or this algorithm, whatever it's called?

Nope. All of those are designed to upscale assets to many multiples of the current asset size. For hq4x to work, you need at least 4x as many pixels. Very few screens have enough vertical resolution to be able to play DD at 2x size, so that's why we can't use that entire field of algorithms: Not the same problem. Trust me, I've tried. Also, those algorithms are all about creating diagonal information out of blocky pixels. We don't want that to happen, we're trying to prevent blurring altogether, but have to accept at least some because there physically aren't actual screen pixels where we need them.
dislekcia

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons