Ask A Dev

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ask A Dev

Postby Lujo on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Nandrew wrote:- We CAN do more DD. Enough groundwork, experience and idea implementation is there for it to be a potential avenue. I'd personally favour some very aggressive design changes if we went that route, digging into fixing some existing design problems and experimenting with these ruleset changes inside DLC dungeons. But dunno.

This sounds very strange to hear.

1) What areas do you personally see as being affected by design problems or limitations?

2) At one random point during the beta you or someone said you talked about maybe adding another god, but decided against it. You might not even remember it, but if you do, I'm very curious what kind of god was up for discussion and why?
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:51 am

flap wrote:Ah, I see one rejected design : the changeling from the alpha. Too bad that it didn't make it through the new version. Maybe was it too brocken...

Changeling is kinda in the wings and was tangentially manifest in the Goatperson. Not necessarily a bad character, but not one to bring in lightly.

Lujo wrote:1) What areas do you personally see as being affected by design problems or limitations?

2) At one random point during the beta you or someone said you talked about maybe adding another god, but decided against it. You might not even remember it, but if you do, I'm very curious what kind of god was up for discussion and why?

I think that there's an opportunity for tweaks and experiments in *every* area. I'd mainly focus on design changes that streamline veteran dungeons more and trim off tasks with high time to low reward ratio.

I don't know if there's one particularly strong god idea that keeps me held. Nowadays I think the game is quite godly enough as it is.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Nandrew wrote:I think that there's an opportunity for tweaks and experiments in *every* area. I'd mainly focus on design changes that streamline veteran dungeons more and trim off tasks with high time to low reward ratio.

Q1: You mean like grinding piety/resistances/popcorn/charges?

Q2: So you're not completely satisfied with the average time it takes to complete the endgame stuff?

Nandrew wrote:I don't know if there's one particularly strong god idea that keeps me held. Nowadays I think the game is quite godly enough as it is.

Yeah, they did kinda run away with it.
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:09 pm

The balance has been something beautiful for a while now. Any more tweaks in the works or has the endless balancing process ended with the endless beta?
Blovski

Postby Astral on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:46 pm

Do you mind if I ask less DD related questions too?

Have you always wanted to be a game developer?
What made you choose this career?
Do you have a fave genre of games?
What kind of game was the 1st game you ever created?
How many games have you worked on so far?
What do you like the most about developing games?
What were the best and worst aspects of making DD?

If I asked stuff you already answered in previous blog posts/topics etc. just give me a vague direction where to look for it, that's fine by me.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Nandrew on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:56 am

Lujo wrote:Q1: You mean like grinding piety/resistances/popcorn/charges?

Q2: So you're not completely satisfied with the average time it takes to complete the endgame stuff?

Have thoughts on all of those.

Mind you, most of the design changes I envision would be pretty aggressive and probably require creating a "bubble" around expansion content to hold unique rulesets and interactions (letting such changes affect the core game would probably break the whole thing, or worse, dilute it). So it would sacrifice a broad area of inter-op ideas, perhaps too steep a price to pay.

We'll be discussing this if the decision ever becomes relevant.

Endgame time? Nope, don't care about amount of time. We advertise 10-minute dungeons for the people who may legitimately spend their entire DD careers inside Den Of Danger. When you get to Vicious tier, expectations differ. But actually, the changes I'd want to make would have the goal of positively impacting new players, too. Just without, yknow, trying to remove too many interesting wrinkles'n'tricks.

Blovski wrote:The balance has been something beautiful for a while now. Any more tweaks in the works or has the endless balancing process ended with the endless beta?

I'm disinclined to tweak further.

Something that I've noted about Crawl: Stone Soup is their history of "purges" in the game's design process, like removing an entire school of magic at one point -- then at another, removing what many considered to be a core race (Mountain Dwarves, noooo!). This happens a fair bit.

When I spoke about aggression and sacrifice above, it would entail chopping out large sections of the game as it exists. I'm increasingly reluctant to just add a "content pack" to something that stands defined by its ridiculously extensive amount of content as-is. Far better to cut out weaker parts of the old to make way for new ideas and systems, ey? After all, chopping out content has been a huge part of the design process throughout the beta. :P

Astral wrote:Do you mind if I ask less DD related questions too?

Have you always wanted to be a game developer?
What made you choose this career?
Do you have a fave genre of games?
What kind of game was the 1st game you ever created?
How many games have you worked on so far?
What do you like the most about developing games?
What were the best and worst aspects of making DD?

If I asked stuff you already answered in previous blog posts/topics etc. just give me a vague direction where to look for it, that's fine by me.

- Not always. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, it always competed with other passions. I studied journalism, did freelance stuff, served as editor on a dev e-zine thing, got excited about particular things.
- The literal definition of the hobby/career shift was when DD exploded and I got an offer from QCF to develop this thing further.
- RPGs always have a soft spot with me, but it's difficult to say now. I see game preferences as design philosophy instead of genre nowadays.
- A ... maaaaze game? On ... paaaaper, I think? :D Man, I was always making games. Otherwise, on computer it was a point and click ... thingie, with a black screen, and you clicked on bits of it and pictures would show with a message. It was not very fun.
- That has so many answers but the biggest answer is: LOTS.
- Currently, the development of a more feel-driven philosophy in contrast to the mechanical bias I've developed in game styles. It's interesting.
- Best: Seeing people discover the most abstractly-hidden stuff at times. Worst: LOOOOOOOOOOONG.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:16 pm

Well, the thoughts on what you'd do for an expansion sound reasonable. I always did kinda think that the approach the RPG genre that DD presented had plenty of space outside of the boundaries of what was chosen. Looking forward to (possibly) seeing an expansion pack that explores it.

More questions! (Actually talking to one of you guys without having my brain pounded by the game for weeks/days/hours is fun ^^)

Q1: Any chance the Naga Cauldron gets applied to both effects of potions for Thieves? (Wrong kind of question I know, but this one's kinda haunting me.)

Q2: I assume you don't keep count, and a non-vague answer would sorta defeat the point, but what would you say how many of your "plants" have we not dug up yet?

Q3: Which ones were you most excited/glad about when we did dig them up?
Lujo

Postby Nandrew on Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Lujo wrote:Q1: Any chance the Naga Cauldron gets applied to both effects of potions for Thieves? (Wrong kind of question I know, but this one's kinda haunting me.)

Q2: I assume you don't keep count, and a non-vague answer would sorta defeat the point, but what would you say how many of your "plants" have we not dug up yet?

Q3: Which ones were you most excited/glad about when we did dig them up?

- I'm really not here to nitpick game balance.

- That's difficult to say. Different ideas have been discovered in different communities. And I wouldn't even know how many people have found easter eggs and simply not mentioned them.

- I get the most excited when people start theorycrafting based on their interpretation of collected subdungeon lore posts.
Nandrew

Postby TheSchachter on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Oh, here's a rather dd-unrelated question in case you feel like answering it:

If someone were interested in making a video game (say a really simple one), but had basically no related experience or knowledge whatsoever, where would you suggest they should start (in terms of learning, practice, etc.)
Come watch my Desktop Dungeons Videos!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCthxFjzttU83tslTUnoFhug
TheSchachter

Postby flap on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Nandrew wrote:- I get the most excited when people start theorycrafting based on their interpretation of collected subdungeon lore posts.

That's definitely my favorite part right now. There are bits hidden everywhere : subdungeons, missions, bosses, objects, class challenges
But some of the stories are slowly taking shapes
flap

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons