Ask A Dev

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Ask A Dev

Postby flap on Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 pm

Also, I fear that it is a bit delicate. But what does the A.E.J reference in the codex stands for ?
flap

Postby Sidestepper on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:37 pm

Nandrew wrote:- I get the most excited when people start theorycrafting based on their interpretation of collected subdungeon lore posts.

Well okay, then I have some questions for you!

1) The humans in the player's kingdom are the descendants of the western druids, but were the druids the first humans ever?
2) Was it Horatio that spurred the Spiders to destroy the temple of the dragon?
3) What is Horatio's deal, anyway? I know he's intentionally left as an unanswered question, but I'm asking you anyway.
4) The Matron of Flame refers to an old war between dragons and humans, but in the history we can read, the dragons were more like the quasi-benevolent caretakers of the other races, humans included. The Northern Kingdom ended up in a mutually disastrous war with the naga, but I got the impression that the dragons themselves stayed out of it. After the war, there really weren't any non-druid humans left, and the druids worship the dragons, so what humans are fighting the dragons?
Sidestepper

Postby Nandrew on Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:43 pm

TheSchachter wrote:Oh, here's a rather dd-unrelated question in case you feel like answering it:

If someone were interested in making a video game (say a really simple one), but had basically no related experience or knowledge whatsoever, where would you suggest they should start (in terms of learning, practice, etc.)

Aha! Game Maker Studio (https://www.yoyogames.com/studio) is the current favourite option for me. I've been using the GM line for a while now and still basically build all of my prototypes innit.

Stencyl (http://www.stencyl.com) is also quite popular at the moment as an "easy" tool and can help you get comfortable with code theory using visually interlocking components. I know less about this tool firsthand but I've played around with its predecessor.

flap wrote:Also, I fear that it is a bit delicate. But what does the A.E.J reference in the codex stands for ?

Ah. Those were my father's initials. That easter egg got added in a fit of sentimentality towards the end of the project. Guess I should've expected people here to find it. :P

Sidestepper wrote:
Well okay, then I have some questions for you!

1) The humans in the player's kingdom are the descendants of the western druids, but were the druids the first humans ever?
2) Was it Horatio that spurred the Spiders to destroy the temple of the dragon?
3) What is Horatio's deal, anyway? I know he's intentionally left as an unanswered question, but I'm asking you anyway.
4) The Matron of Flame refers to an old war between dragons and humans, but in the history we can read, the dragons were more like the quasi-benevolent caretakers of the other races, humans included. The Northern Kingdom ended up in a mutually disastrous war with the naga, but I got the impression that the dragons themselves stayed out of it. After the war, there really weren't any non-druid humans left, and the druids worship the dragons, so what humans are fighting the dragons?

Haha, I dunno if I should be answering those sorts of questions, but I'll give you some weird replies:

1) More or less.
2) You're asking the wrong question. :D The game passes comment on this matter rather subtly, though it's probably one of firmer lores points once you know where to look.
3) Horatio's beef is never answered in a simple and satisfying way, though it's helpful to look at seemingly unrelated lore. There is a clearly defined reason in our heads for his behaviour.
4) This is an interesting question which touches a lot on various aspects of the story, so I'll summarise it this way: some human factions have conflicted with the dragons in the past, and your Kingdom is technically a belligerent against the dragons now, so that's enough for the Matron to make sweeping statements about the species war. Horatio is constantly at work being a manipulative dick too, and you can be sure that he's responsible for "extra sourness" here and there, big or small.
Nandrew

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:59 am

This might've been answered at some point during the last few years, but I must've missed it. And I've been puzzled by it immensly.

Why Horatio?

I've actually pondered this. Why this name? I have theories (and occasionally way too much time, apparently):

a) It's a jab/joke/running joke at someone one of you guys knows personally, like a geography teacher or something
b) In English it evokes anything simmilar to "horrible".
c) It's a bloody Shakespeare refference of some sort
d) You pulled it out of a hat / random name generator
e) One of you guys walked into the office one day looking dazed and said "I know what we should call the bad guy", and upon being questioned about his newfound knowledge he said: "Horatio!". And it was so random, everyone went "Brilliant!". And then there was a moment of silence and someone said, "Why?". And the person who had the thought could only recall the idea and the entire thought process which might have been going on for months, nay, years, totally vanished.

Which one's the closest?
Lujo

Postby flap on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 pm

@Lujo : I suspect the choice of Horatio to be, at least unconsciously, connected with Horatio from Hamlet and Horatio Alger who, during the XIXth century, wrote many novels about self made men.
flap

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Ah, I suspect that as well, but I always wanted to know for sure :)
Lujo

Postby Astral on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:28 am

Is this still going?
If yes can I ask how is knocback damage exactly calculated?
It's supposed to be kb% times basedamage, but I've never seen a case where that was true. I'm not annoyed by it or anything, I'm just curious. It would help me greatly in working out one of my theories.
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons