[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Class Concepts with Sprites

Class Concepts with Sprites

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Desktop Dungeons Suggestions

Postby dislekcia on Wed May 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Whoa hey sprites?!

That's some nice work. Are you drawing those yourself?

Also, I'm totally not talking about class stuff we might or might not be working on (wink), but there's a couple of 'holes' in the game that we feel could be filled still - hadn't really thought about a class specifically built around stacking on hit effects though, probably because that's ludicrously hard to prevent runaway situations with. You have to do stuff like limit resource effectiveness the more effects stack and with health the way it is right now, there's not much room to actually impact it in a granular-enough way.
dislekcia

Postby Lujo on Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Err, you've got enought power there that you don't need most of it to fill up a class (even a monster class). You just have to spread it around, tbh. Oh, and I'm a veteran oldschool resist-corrosion stacker, you seem to be looking for one (even though almost everyone who responded including the nice man who is interested in the nice sprites, and who is in fact one of the developers, are all probably adept at it :) ) Do tell the nice man about the sprites, please :)

As for the class:

Don't add more corrosive strike as conversion bonus. Regular corrosive strike allready scales with a lot of stuff, making it scale directly with CP would get ludicrous really fast and requires too many crippling penalties. The way you got it set up makes the little bugger too self sufficent and all the penalties required make the abilities too crammed and meh. Gorgon's a fun class, but boy does it look like a disjointed mess when you try to make sense of her abilities...

Plain old corrosive strike is plenty (well, if you pad it out with martyr wraps, EM or Whargarble / fireballs quite a bit more than plenty). The guy with corrosive strike will either want a way to hit stuff a lot and that basicaly means resistances. Otherwise and/or also an alternative way to apply corrosion.

So what I'd try would be:

1) Corrosive strike. Poison Strike lvl 1 just so Glowing Guardian hates him.
2) Starts with PISSORF. Pissorf applies corrosion.
3) 20% ish starting resists both, reduced initial mana pool
CP bonus: 2% Resists, starts off costing very little CP, scales by some ammount. CP are easy to cheeze up (to ludicrous ammouts) as we've recently discovered, but since you can get resists high as f**k on anything anyway, why not give this guy a way to do it built in. Have to prevent him from worshiping GG because that'd be like rewarding him with piety for boosting his resistances.

Would be a mean critter. I'd go somewhere along those lines, although there probably could be some clause added which would incentivise leveling the bastard up at all. But much cleaner overall. If you wanna brawl (lol, first time I ever used that term) you go looking for resists, if you want to spellcast you go looking for more mana. If he's too good, make the pissorff unconvertible so as to take up an item slot which also hampers resist stacking shennanigans and carrying disposable conversion fodder around for too long before you convert it.

Not sure if he'd need a damage penalty at all this way. If he's hitting stuff without a natural way of boosting health regeneration he'll be sucking up blackspace like silly and run out if he's not careful. If he's using pissorff, pisorff already has a built in damage penalty. If he's using everything, well, you've juggling stuff, it's probably fun.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 am

@dislekcia: Can we expect any (possibly spider related) DLC?

Now, sorry about that minor derail.

@The thread: I just had an... interesting idea for the original rattling concept. What if, instead of making the CP cost or damage weakening super high, the conversion lowered hp regen by one per tile (to a minimum of 0) for every conversion? It weakens early game cheese while weakening late game regen fighting.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lynzkar on Thu May 08, 2014 5:33 am

I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Nurator on Thu May 08, 2014 7:33 am

We are doing new classes again? Cool! I got one too:

HULK(Monster Class)

Abilities:
HULK Confused
-100% Starting AttackBonus
Items have no Conversion Value (but can be converted)
Glyphs still have normal Value

HULK Smash
Starts with PISSORF
+5 BaseDamage per level

INDESTRUCTIBLE
20% magic and physical resist at start
+5% magic and physical resist on lvl up

Monster Class Conversion:
REAL HULK
100 (+10 stacking) Cost: +50% AttackBonus, -2 Regeneration per Tile, down to a minimum of 1 Reg per Tile

What do you think? Ridicolously overpowered? Or crippled to the bones?
Nurator

Postby Lynzkar on Thu May 08, 2014 10:00 am

Lynzkar

Postby Blovski on Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 am

My issue with this lot is that they're way overloaded. All of the abilities have two or three points. If you look at most of the main classes, they have a focal thing and then a couple of little subsidiary things to contribute to that rather than a couple of separate notable abilities. The other monster classes with a load of stuff have a lot of problems using gods as well. To be honest I think something like:

- Corrosive attack, damage penalty (dunno how big is appropriate myself, honestly wouldn't need to be huge, like -40% or something, don't worry about the base damage, that's not really an issue I think - it's there for the monk to reduce the extent to which being human negates that penalty I think)
- Starts with a combat glyph (I'd say Bysseps might actually be the best choice for a wearing-down-theme, and help with the damage penalty and do something like the resistance thing from your original draft)
- +1 mana, -20% health to make early corrosion stacking less appealing or something like that

- corrosive cp boost (/150 or so probably)

Could be a balanced iteration of a wearing-down class I think.
Blovski

Postby Lynzkar on Thu May 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Lynzkar

Postby Lynzkar on Thu May 08, 2014 2:33 pm

Lynzkar

Postby Nurator on Fri May 09, 2014 5:21 am

Nurator

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons