[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 390: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Class Concepts with Sprites

Class Concepts with Sprites

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Class Concepts with Sprites

Postby Lynzkar on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:24 pm

I use paint.net to draw the sprites. It is very much possible to use other programs like gimp and such, I just like paint.net, because it's simple and easy to learn. Also it supports transparency and layers unlike normal paint.

For the Djinn sprite i first took the goblin fighter as a canvas, and the djinn (monster) as a colour palette.
goblin, and more like the djinn. I then started making many minor changes, to make it look less like the goblin, and more like a new thing. Then when I were please with how it looked, I started makign the cloud part.
I started by just drawing up swirly clouds with a blackoutline, then I copied the colours from the djinn's cloud chair, and used that as a shading.
And then i took a hand from the goblin fighter, and thief and simply recoloured them, and smoothed them out a little bit. and then added facial hair.

Image Goblin Fighter +
Image Djinn (Monster) +
Image Goblin Thief =
Image Djinn

For my ratling sprite, I used the halfling thief as canvas, and just painted on top of it
For the ADVENTURER.EXE I took the class-less sprites of races, and made them robot looking.
Image Image Image
The witchdoctor I made from scratch.

Edit : I tried to make a djinn with blue gardinet-ed clouds, but I can't quite get it to look a way that I like

Edit 2: I attempted to make a weaker form of spell balance, but I'm affraid
♦Spellbound/Spellcycle♦
♦Using a glyph reduces the mana cost of all other glyphs by 2(stacks twice, however the second stack will only be half as effective (capping the mana cost reduction at 3)). Using glyph with reduced cost resets it's mana cost. (BLUDTOPOWA is not affected by, and cannot trigger spellcycle)
♦base Mana cost of all glyphs is increased by 1
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Astral on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:04 pm

On a second thought, I made some mistakes in my previous post. I was calculating like if glyph casts reduced their own cost too, not just the cost of other glyphs.

The Aph + Pis + Burn combo takes 9 mana since they only have -2 mana cost. Still pretty good, but not game breaking.
Adding Wonafyt reduces it to 8 mana. That enables you to regen-spellfight only 25% above your level +1.

Imawall is still too good. That as the 5th glyph would make the cycle take 4 mana. Regen-spellfight 2,5 x your level +1.

Capping the cost reduction is a good idea, but I don't like the +1 base cost. Kinda defeats the point of the reduction and is annoying when you need to use 1 glyph several times in a row. Like popcorn bowling with Wonafyt, farming Binlor piety etc.

Another approach could be to limit the minimum cost of glyphs at 2, that prevents some runaway strats.

Don't feel bad about the new look of the Djinn. It's always hard to match the image in our imagination.
Other ways you could improve it are making the cloud thicker so its details are more visible, you could also make it less straight and triangle like by adding a curve/whirl to it.
You could also change the color of some lines from grey to a bluer one. To make it stand out of the background you could also apply some sort of glowing aura around the cloud. I bet these ideas are much easier to say than doing them :P
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Lynzkar on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:26 pm

New sprites, again.
Fade
When making faded I accidently used differance, made a pretty cool look
Enlarged
Lynzkar

Postby Lynzkar on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:45 pm

Another monster class for ya, because those are the most intresting. (in my oppinion). I were going to make a race that would gain +7 piety per 80 conversion bonus. But I don't know any good mythological species that would fit to this. if you know one that you think would fit, please tell me.
Anyways, the monster class!, Behold the Illusion of france! (It's basicly changling)
Spiritng is not final, though I may not change too much
Conversion Bonus : every 90 conversion points gain randomly between: +1hp max hp bonus, 1 max mana, 10% bonus damage, 2 base damage, health potion, mana potion

Traits :
Deception : Killing an enemy causes you to take it's form and earn a temporary trait.
Mindgames : Upon leveling up, gain a trait or statboost based on your most recent form.
Delusion : -3 hp per level, -2 base damage per level, -20% bonus attack -2 starting mana

Deception detials :

Mindgames details :

Comments appriciated!
Last edited by Lynzkar on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynzkar

Postby dislekcia on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:56 pm

A monster class that receives piety from conversion? Why that would be a Freelance Angel, obviously ;)

Willing to represent any deity for the right price!
dislekcia

Postby Lynzkar on Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Lynzkar

Postby fall_ark on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:20 pm

fall_ark

Postby Lynzkar on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:35 pm

Probary, I just like to "make" new things, that are different from the things that are in the game. Maybe a race that would generate gold (and piety?) from conversion points would be more intresting.
Lynzkar

Postby MTaur on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:49 pm

Wow, these sprites really up the ante. Cool show! Now I want to redo some of my really old posts... I have no idea what One-Third-Elf looks like, even for one class...
MTaur

Postby Lynzkar on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:18 am

I made a quick concept idea for the Freelance Angel
(Early Draft)
Conversion Bonus : Concecrated Strike, Might & Burning Strike for one attack
Missionary : +1 piety per kill, +2+1stacking piety per level
Humility : +10% exp required per level
This-Loyal : Conversions costs 10 gold insted of piety
Sorry, not sorry
Lynzkar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons