Another newbie question

All things Desktop Dungeons

Another newbie question

Postby Average Joe on Tue May 27, 2014 5:37 am

I returned to the kingdom after successfully completing the Lord Gobb dungeon, and made it out with a modest amount of loot (150 gold, I think) and the advisor popped up and complimented my hoarding skills, then said the treasury can't hold all this money, and perhaps I should upgrade a building.

Well, my treasury only has 474 gold in it, and every building in the kingdom requires 1000 gold to upgrade, so I am confused. I have already built the mage tower, priest church, thieves' den, and blacksmith shop. Clicking on any of these says 1000 gold is required to upgrade, and the button is greyed out.

What do I do? And did it not credit me my 150 gold from the dungeon? The treasury figure of 474 is now red.
Average Joe

Re: Another newbie question

Postby dislekcia on Tue May 27, 2014 9:45 am

You need to upgrade your bank, it's currently over capacity, which is why the gold amount is red. Look through your quests to see which ones mention the bank :)
dislekcia

Postby Lynzkar on Tue May 27, 2014 9:55 am

I remember having this "problem" as well, when I was new. Maybe you should add a text saying something like "Your bank is overcapaciteted. Look for a way to upgrade it."
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

Postby Average Joe on Wed May 28, 2014 1:03 am

Hmm.. I see, so doing one of the two I have will upgrade the bank, which makes sense given the whole Venture Cave story.
Thank you. I am headed to Venture Cave!

What exactly does having the bank over capacity do? Will it not save the money I have in there?
Average Joe

Postby The Avatar on Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 am

You will not be able to gain money until the bank cap is raised or you spend under your bank cap (400 in your case).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Average Joe on Wed May 28, 2014 5:26 am

Yes, I just found that out the hard way. Looking through my quests, the one that mentioned anything remotely financial was the one in Den of Danger. So I just went in and did that one. The Vampire boss at the end said something about giving me his services if I defeated both of his Economists in a combat trial. I've no idea what that means.
However, I finished the entire dungeon, racking up 182 gold, and then the quest rewarded me another 100. ALL this gold was completely lost, apparently. My bank remained at 474, because it was red, I guess, as you said. The elf race was unlocked, though, so I spent 200 upgrading their building so I can use them now.

So now my bank is 274, and not red. However, I've still got no idea how to upgrade the bank.

The puzzles are also unlocked, and doing all of the first set rewards 300. But that will not fit in the bank.

Another quest unlocked-- Beginner's Brigade, but that one rewards 1000 gold.

None of these are worth doing because the rewards won't fit in my bank.

Venture Capital is the other one open, which rewards 100, which will fit, so I guess I will do that next, and perhaps that is what the vampire meant? The other economist boss to beat is in there?

I am really liking the game, but this part of it is not fun at all. The game tells me to do the Lord Gobb easy dungeon if I don't feel up to doing the harder ones yet, and then when I do... I get punished for it. When I finally am ready to do a harder one, and succeed, I don't get to keep ANY of my reward because the bank is full, and nowhere was this explained or the capacity of the bank stated, or even that it had a capacity, until it was full and too late to do anything about it.

The administrator said I could now choose to do what I liked. However, if I do NOT do the quests in strictly linear fashion, then the bank will overflow and all the reward money is lost. This linearity should still be part of the tutorial, or at the very least the bank's extremely limited capacity should be stated, and the player warned about it.

Defeating the challenge, being victorious in a quest, and then getting slapped down with absolutely no reward at all is demoralizing.
Average Joe

Postby Nurator on Wed May 28, 2014 6:48 am

I remember this part, too. Just kill the other vampire boss in venture cave and you are good to go.

But you are totally right, this should be changed. Its really at the beginning of the game and you will lose a lot of players that are frustrated, because they got no reward for an extremely challenging game...
Nurator

Postby Average Joe on Sat May 31, 2014 4:44 pm

Ok, another question. After defeating the snake boss in the swamp dungeon, I got his fang. It said it was worth 200 gold. The score screen had a total of 320 or so gold as my score, which I imagine included the fang, because I never finished a dungeon yet with that much.

When I got back to town, the taxidermist bought the trophy for 200. My kingdom treasury got 200 gold at that time. It looked like that 200 was on top of the 320 from the dungeon run. Did I imagine that? Does the boss trophy count as loot money, and then you get money again when you sell it?
Average Joe

Postby Average Joe on Sat May 31, 2014 4:51 pm

One more question. The wiki says that Hobbler's Hold has a quest called A Little Agreement, but I have done the dungeon twice and have not seen any quest. Is it found within the dungeon randomly, or does it come from the kingdom by advancing other quests? The wiki doesn't say.
Average Joe

Postby Nurator on Sat May 31, 2014 5:36 pm

New quests will appear if you finish old ones or if you find special items in dungeons. Just continue with the quests you have, you will never run out of them :)
Nurator

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons