Punchbag Strategy

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Punchbag Strategy

Postby Astral on Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Wow, so much fun stuff with punchbags, I ought to try this TT madness soon.

About the new transmuter method I discovered, it turned out to be worse than the original halfling EM variant. During calculation I managed to leave out an important variable in one of the equations :P - that's why I got such a low number.
I'm not sad it didn't work, was scummier and more complex and now I know it also takes more HP to work.

Hovewer, yesterday I found a ridiculous thing about transmuters that almost made me fall off my chair. That enabled me to generate infinite mana with any transmuter race (except elves), some of those methods work even at lvl 10!

Today I tested one of the countless new methods in NC, it took only 7 tries then it worked like a charm:

See anything odd? :D
And you only need a very few items and stuff to pull it off:

Can you guess how it works?

Soon I'll tell you. Also I'm going to open a new topic for all my "infinimuter" strats, but it will take quite some time to organize all the info about it into a comprehensible form (now it's just a mess of convoluted excel tables).
Somebody spilled raspberry juice all over the place!
Astral

Postby Nurator on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:17 pm

I thought about HALPMEH too... but you need so much health to compensate that... especially at lvl 10. I dont see how that should work^^
150 HP to cast 1 Halpmeh, thus losing a total of 110 HP for +10%? That would mean you need 1100 HP to pull this off... what do I not see?^^
Nurator

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:57 am

He's also getting potions because of Gnome + Transmuter. I haven't done the math, but I guess his sky high mana was enough to make it work.

EDIT: Hmm, it comes out a little short. The Taurog conversion is especially puzzling. It looks like it was only used to request the sword, and the sword wasn't even picked up until the game was effectively over. That means the only benefit was the +5% innate that you get when you request the boon, but I don't see how that helps close the loop at all.
Sidestepper

Postby Astral on Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:58 pm

Have you ever tried triggering spirit sword, then activating it again with less max mana? ;)
Astral

Postby Kami on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:16 pm

JJ also rewards doging so one good more with infinite Piety.One thing we didn't thought about are enemys which spawn other enemys like these in the Magma Mines and than we could combine that with a blue bead and some other items and we could have infinite mana or maybe infinite gold with gloves of midas.
Kami

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:34 pm

I have now. How very strange. How did you even notice it? I've probably done it myself by accident, but either didn't notice or wrote off the mana refill as a mistake of my own personal memory.

I might try this myself. How much mana do you need to make it work? Do I have to scum for Mage Plate, or can I just get away with taking Extra Mana? Were Pacts important?
Sidestepper

Postby Nurator on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:10 pm

Woot? Is this some kind of bug exploit thing?^^ I didnt try it but the only thing I could think off is that the second spirit sword will increase your base damage by the higher amount... but mana refill? Woot?
Nurator

Postby Astral on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:37 pm

I think I found it on a halfling when I was mass converting stuff for potions. I must have converted the mana pendant and when my mana refilled I was like wth? I was really surprised and didn't know what happened exactly, so I tried new runs with the mana pendant, and once I noticed that spirit sword doesn't replace the current spirit sword if it's overall damage is lower than the previous.
Also spirit sword must be a combination of full mana refill, then a strength potion, that's why it doesn't matter how much mana you lose, you always get maximal extra damage.

There are infinite ways to make it work on transmuters, you can pick any max health/max mana combination and adjust them to fit a current play. Also they are easiest to do on lvl1, with higher levels the health requirment increases exponentally.

Mage Plate is unnecessary you just need high health and mana with the right glyphs, FH, and a way to decrease your max mana once you have an active spirit sword, then activate it again. Pacts are unimportant, but if you do this at level 10 with gnomes, the alchemist pact's dings can shorten the boss fights.

The strat I used here required 170 health, 31 mana (after reduction), FH, and the 3 glyphs.
Cycle: Burn - 5 B2P - 3 HM - 4 B2P - 3 HM - 4 B2P - drink mana potion (+12mana) - 3 HM - 4 B2P - Fire Heart (50 % in starting cycle, later always 60%) - B2P - 2HM.

So a cycle has 18 B2P 1 BD and 11 HM = 90 CP, you generate 31+18+12 mana, exactly the cost of all glyphs.
You lose 18*30= 540 hp, but make 440+170*0,6= 542. Due to that 2 health surplus, while you will have 155 health at the beginning of the 2nd cycle, after each turn that will go higher up to 170.

The core of all these strats is this: 1 cycle lasts untill you fill the CP bar with spells, at which point your mana is refreshed.
You need to write an equation system, 1 for mana change, 1 for health change, 1 that shows all glyph casts and equates the required CP. You won't be able to 'solve it' due to the degrees of freedom. However you will be able to pick either a health or mana value, also choose one of the spell counts (I usually pick Burndayraz as 1) then everything falls into place.
I recommend doing it on excel, so you can adjust variables and see their effects.

My fave race is gnome for these, thanks to their 90CP conversion bar every cycle is exactly long and can be exactly the same.
Astral

Postby Kami on Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:14 pm

While we are by exploting things I, found out that you can get infinite gold in the Magma Mines, here is how:

Class: lvl 1 Wizard

Items: Blue Bead, Midas Gloves, Fire Heart and something which gives minus percentages to damage
Bezar: Quest items (to reduce scuming)
Gods: TT altar (to get weakening) and an altar to get 120 health
Witch: Fortitude Potion
Glyph: Pisorf, BTP
Enemy: lvl 1 Cave Snake

Here is how it is done:Get your damage to 0. Then go and hit a lvl snake so long till the map is full of them. Drink the Fortitude to get your damage back. (you need 6 damage) now position yourself so, that if you bash one spawned snake into the Cave Sanke so that it spawns another snake into your line. (it is hard to explain) so here is the cycle: Starting conditions 170 HP 10M. Cast Pisorf on snake -3M, FH charged to 5% and snake spawn dies 1M back. Cast BTP 2 times
-6 HP and use FH 6 HP back. Rinse and repeat :D
Kami

Postby Lynzkar on Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:37 pm

Mindblown, I got nothing else to say.
Edit : this post got strangley delayed by almost three hours
Last edited by Lynzkar on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the king of the rats now! Bow before me, peasants.
Class-suggestions, with sprites
Lynzkar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons